Walmart Submarine = Cool !

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Walmart Submarine = Cool !

Old 01-03-2004, 12:27 AM
mr_mahoney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart Submarine = Cool !

Just tried out my new rc sub from walmart ( motorworks ) brand. it is great ! Anyone else tried one? Any ideas on increasing the range? I can still cotrol it @ 7' from the fish tank. It is cool !
Old 01-05-2004, 11:11 PM
tsunami

Default RE: Walmart Submarine = Cool !

how bout a pic ive never seen a sub their yet
Old 01-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Weldman

I just pick one up as well after reading your post. Works just fine at a local perk pond and swimming pool ( 1 Ft dive no problem 3 ft a way ). I may try to open the antenna, then solder it around a thicker and longer piece of wire to see if I can increase the range. Max range is about 10-12 feet. I got mine for 15.99 at the local Wally World in the open box section.

Mike
Old 01-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Weldman

Here is a picture of the sub, cheaper than a old Nikko sub from the 80'
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77541.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	93191  
Old 01-22-2004, 02:52 PM
mr_mahoney

Great ! I ran mine in the High School pool which has 3/4" plate glass windows in the deep end. I dove it down, ran down stairs and re-gained control. I could run it through the plate glass to about 2' away. Still pretty cool for a $20.00 toy !

Let us know how the antenna extension goes. The transmitter is water proof right ?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:22 PM
tmsmalley

I wish they sold the thing on their website!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Weldman

They are selling them on E-bay but they started at $35 or you can use the good old Buy now feature $40 ( about 2-3 listing aka someone must be over stocked ). Best place to purchase one is Wally world they have all the cheap RC toys.

Mike
Old 01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
tsunami

wheres that
Old 01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Weldman

Wally World = Walmart

For ebay look under Boats and do a search for submarine
Old 01-24-2004, 09:25 PM
tsunami

thanx
Old 01-28-2004, 01:59 AM
embpic1

This is cool. I bought mine and had range problems. I extended the receiver antenna about a foot. It helped quite a bit. I also made a longer prop shaft so the propeller is outside of the body where it should be. This should increase its top speed. I had the thing apart and was amazed at how well its put together. Amazing for only $19 at Wall-mart. I am going to put some high capacity AA NiMh for some longer run times. Thinking of more mods. Hmmm...

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80398.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	95083  
Old 01-28-2004, 04:05 PM
tsunami

i need to hit wall mart this weekend
Old 01-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Weldman

Sean aka embpic1

Try using some 1200 mah batteries , works just fine. I bought a whole surplus of Nokia 2010 Battery packs 4 AA cell in each pack, some has 6 cell. Bought a 100 cell for .25 a piece. Also made a pack for my R/C Radio, it last for about 25minutes each at full throttle
Old 02-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Cartwheel

A quick web search turned up just what I was hoping for: others who have bought the Walmart Motorworks submarine and are interested in modding/tweaking it for better performance. I've found mine has a tough time with the currents created by the water circulation jets in our condo pool. Needs more power! The 7.2 V pack from my Firebird XL almost fits, but I think it's too heavy. I doubt the extra 1.2 V is enough to damage the electronics, so now I'm tying to configure just the right nimh battery pack for the sub. Once I had the submarine balanced just right (which can be a little bit finicky), it worked pretty well if I kept it in the calmer parts of the pool and away from the stronger currents. I'd be interesting in hearing about y'alls attempts to improve this interesting toy. Incidently, it's not an accurate model of a Los Angeles class sumbarine at all...but then, it's sold as a toy, not a model. I still think it looks pretty cool.
By the way, although the manual says not to take it below about 3.5'....I put too much ballast in mine on it's maiden voyage and it took several minutes to retrieve it from the deep end of our 8' pool...still works fine...guess it didn't reach "crush depth", lol.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Motor works brand sub is cool! I got the U.S.S. Dallas sub (27 MHz) & tested it in my buddy's pool. I found it more maneuverable than the "Mako" mini-sub (49 MHz) that I also got earlier from Radio shack.
The Mako mini-sub moves forward faster due to it's twin motor design but does'nt have the reverse thrust capability of the U.S.S. Dallas sub. Both these subs use 4 AA batteries, but I found the Mako sub battery compartment seal far better.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:03 PM
gulfstreamI

Just replaced the stock 3 blade prop with a larger 2 blade prop (almost twice the diameter of stock prop) from TRAXXAS (# 1534). Placed it at the back (behind the horizontal & vertical stabilizer fins) by extending the lenght of the prop shaft by 2" . Got a noticeable change in power. Tested this sub's speed vs. the twin motor "Mako" mini-sub form Radio shack in the pool. Balancing the sub took some time. Most of the provided weights in this kit ended being placed in the bow end of the sub. So far, both subs have the same approximate speed (50 feet per min). Before, ... the "Mako" mini-sub used run circles around the Motor works sub because it was sooo .... slowww. Now they are just about even in underwater speeds. The Motor works sub moves somewhat like a torpedo, especially with newly charged 2100 mAh Ni Mh batteries installed.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:02 AM
analli

Has anyone done anything to extend the underwater range of this sub? I think it's only about one foot. If so, can you provide DETAILS how (for a mod-novice)?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
tsunami

any one now an alternate place to purches this thing. my walmarts(checked all seven) dont carry it
Old 03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
analli

Check ebay, thst where I just ordered mine!
Old 03-15-2004, 04:16 PM
tsunami

ive got no credit card or paypal though (under 18)
Old 03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: analli

Has anyone done anything to extend the underwater range of this sub? I think it's only about one foot. If so, can you provide DETAILS how (for a mod-novice)?

Thanks
To extend the operating range & dive depth try the following:

1) Add additional waterproof sealants to the the receiver box & the joints connecting the sub's three motors.

2) Replace the "stock" transmitter antenna with a "rubber ducky" antenna. I used a Radio shack replacement antenna from product # 60-4328. The N.P.A. part # A90441. Save the "stock" transmitter antenna.
3) Re-route the receiver antenna to the inside the sub's hull, from it's present conning tower mast location. The sub's receiver antenna should be able to reach all the way to the rear of the sub, just above the "side thruster" motor.
4) Drill a 1/16" hole on the sub's deck ( right in the middle of the two 1/2" slots). Now mount the "stock" transmitter antenna on the sub's rear deck with a 1/8" dia. X 1/2" stainless steel nut & bolt. You now have a modified Wal-Mart submarine!

Modified Wal-Mart Sub spec: Operating range 40 to 50 feet (on surface)

........................................ Max Diving depth 6-7 feet ( in swimming pool water)

........................................ Max speed (submerged) with modified TRAXXAS prop #1534 , ... 50-55 feet per min.

........................................ Sub power source: Four AA 1.2 Volt Ni Mh 2300 mAh
Old 03-15-2004, 09:58 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: tsunami

any one now an alternate place to purches this thing. my walmarts(checked all seven) dont carry it
try ordering from walmart stores in Albany, NY. My cousin just spotted a total of six from that area ... sorry can't remember which specific store he got his wal-mart sub.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:25 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: Additional info with correction ....

To extend the operating range & dive depth try the following:

1) Add additional waterproof sealants to the the receiver box & the joints connecting the sub's three motors.

2) Replace the "stock" transmitter antenna with a "rubber duckie" antenna. I used a radioshack replacement antenna from product # 60-4328. The NPA part # A90441. Save the "stock" transmitter antenna.
3) Re-route the receiver antenna to the inside the sub's hull, from it's present conning tower mast location. The sub's receiver antenna should be able to reach all the way to the rear of the sub, just above the "side thruster" motor.
4) Drill a 1/16" hole on the sub's deck ( right in the middle of the two 1/2" slots). Now mount the "stock" transmitter antenna on the sub's rear deck with a 1/8" dia X 1/2" stainless steel nut & bolt.
(Connect the re-routed receiver antenna wire to the new receiver antenna via the 1/8" nut & bolt.)
You now have a modified Wal-mart submarine!

Modified Wal-Mart Sub spec: Operating range 40 to 50 feet (on surface)

........................................ Max Diving depth 6-7 feet ( in swimming pool water)

........................................ Max speed (submerged) with modified TRAXXAS prop #1534 , ... 50-55 feet per min.

........................................ Sub power source: Four AA 1.2 Volt Ni Mh 2300 mAh
Add styrofoam material to sub's rear compartment to compensate for loss of bouyancy, IF you are modifying the wal-mart sub for extra speed using the TRAXXAS prop. The sub is now rear end heavy with this mod.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:45 PM
tsunami

finally found one ^_^. but after running it for abou8t 10 min i noticed the range drop from about 10 to 6 in on the surface and almost zero when dived,will lengthening the antena help
Old 03-19-2004, 09:54 AM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: tsunami

finally found one ^_^. but after running it for abou8t 10 min i noticed the range drop from about 10 to 6 in on the surface and almost zero when dived,will lengthening the antena help
Try using the 1.2 Volt AA 2300 mAh NiMh batteries made by Eveready or other generic types that you can find.
Using the sub's three motors at the same time drastically shortens it's operating range. I've tried using 1.5 Volt AA rechargeable Alkaline but the operating time is short. The 2300 mAh batteries can handle the current drain with minimal drop in operating range.
Lengthening the antenna helps boost the signal approximately 50 to 75% of it's "normal" operating range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.