Search
Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

micro sub runs in circles - help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 01:01 AM
robster94gt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default micro sub runs in circles - help!

Hi,

I just picked up one of those little r/c microsubs - aquarium size, twin motors.

It runs and dives well, but it seems that one motor is more powerful than the other (it sounds like it spins much faster), and thus it doesn't run straight. I've thought about sanding of some of the surface area of the stronger prop, hoping it would even things out. Anybody have any other ideas? Anybody have one of these?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: micro sub runs in circles - help!

What is the brand of the micro sub that you got? Did you try attaching an appropriate sized rudder to try to compensate?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM
robster94gt

GulfstreamI,

It's a "Red Horse" - a chinese knock off type brand. - I found the identical one here: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5337

it looks like they just copied the text from the Megatech sub. The controls aren't proportional - but at least it has two forward speeds.

I had just been thinking of trying to a rudder to compensate, but wasn't sure of how to go about it - I was thinking of cutting a piece of thin ABS plastic. The placement and adjustment of the angle would seem to be the tricky part. any ideas?

Thanks for your response
Old 02-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Xfactory
My Feedback: (3)

Look really close at the prop shaft, mine runs in circles if there is a strand of hair wrapped around the shaft.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: robster94gt

GulfstreamI,

It's a "Red Horse" - a chinese knock off type brand. -

it looks like they just copied the text from the Megatech sub. The controls aren't proportional - but at least it has two forward speeds.

I had just been thinking of trying to a rudder to compensate, but wasn't sure of how to go about it - I was thinking of cutting a piece of thin ABS plastic. The placement and adjustment of the angle would seem to be the tricky part. any ideas?

Thanks for your response
robster94gt,

Thanks for the info, my "red horse" r/c mini sub will be arriving in a few days. I just ordered 2 (yellow) & (white) for $US 7.95 /piece.
I have some ideas on correcting that "circling" problem, but I have to test them on the two r/c mini subs when they arrive here. I'll update you on the results as soon as I can.

Sincerly,

gulfstreamI
Old 02-12-2004, 10:57 PM
robster94gt

xfactory,

Yeah, I've had the problem with the hair tangle too. Unfortunately, in this case one of the motors is clearly running faster than the other - you can hear it.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:01 PM
robster94gt

gulftstream1,

I think I saw the site where you found them for 7.95. They're a decent toy if you could get them to run straight . I hope they work for you without any problems - on the other hand if you do have trouble, I'm sure you'll find a solution to my, er, our problem

Thanks for the update.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:56 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: robster94gt

gulftstream1,

I think I saw the site where you found them for 7.95. They're a decent toy if you could get them to run straight . I hope they work for you without any problems - on the other hand if you do have trouble, I'm sure you'll find a solution to my, er, our problem

Thanks for the update.
robster94gt,

I tested Red horse mini -sub (aka Ocean explorer 2) against 3 other micro subs (different designs) that I already have.
This sub moves like a tiny "soda can" w/ twin motors attached. *sigh* . I have to attach small (tiny) horizontal & vertical stabilizers to make this micro sub "glide".
I guess you get what you pay for, less than 3 hrs. later the onboard batteries on the mini sub failed.
I could'nt power up the mini sub.
I guess I have to return this product to the retailer that sold them to me & try another experiment.

will fill you in on details of my next "trial runs" with the other mini- subs.

gulfstream I
Old 02-19-2004, 12:56 AM
robster94gt

GulftreamI,

Sorry to hear about the failure of the sub. You're right you do get what you pay for. I'm not sure what you mean by "glide" - do mean continue to move forward when you cut power? Just curious - did the red horse move forward straight or did it veer one or the other? Were both motors spinning at the same rate?

Anyway, good luck with the other subs - I look forward to hearing about them.

Rob
Old 02-19-2004, 11:38 AM
gulfstreamI

robster94gt,

I've decided not return the Ocean Explorer 2 mini sub. I took it apart (very carefully) and replaced the 3.6v onboard batteries. I got it working again.
This sub has the tendency to veer to your right after moving about 1-2 meters. To offset this, I simply "pulse" the turn contol to my left.
To get this sub to "glide", I'm gonna try to add extra weight to reduce the sub's bouyancy & see what other effects the additional fins will do to this mini sub.
The two speed control that you mentioned is a little "too fast" for this sub to hover over a certain spot.
I also noticed that the forward-reverse joystick occasionally sticks in reverse. *sigh*

The new Ocean Explorer 3 appears to have corrected this problem, it uses "pulse" control ( push buttons) to regulate the mini sub's movements: ahead, dive, hover, & reverse.

If you have a local Toys R Us outlet in your area check out this mini sub that I found.
It's a Fast Lane mini submarine # 6129. This mini sub has tiny "stabilizers" (horizontal & vertical fins) on the top, bottom, rear & on the twin outboard motors.
This mini sub can hover over the spot you choose & uses "pulse" controls. It features a clear "pilot canopy" with a constant red LED shining thru it for underwater exploration.
You can even choose the angle of the dive motors independently. One drawback of this mini sub is that it has no reverse.

The other mini sub I've tested that is called the X-SUB. The performance features on this mini sub is similar to the Fast Lane mini sub # 6129. This is more of an ideal aquarium or fish tank toy. It has this "turbo" dive button on the top of the transmitter. This mini sub dives faster than the Ocean Explorer 2. You need only 3 AAA batteries to power up this toy.

I hope you do find the time to check out these other mini subs. Enjoy !!

gulfstreamI
Old 02-19-2004, 11:25 PM
robster94gt

gulfstreamI

Thanks for the info - so it looks like all Ocean Explorer 2 subs seem to have a bit of veering off in them. I also found that one of my controls sticks a bit - the right one. The sub also seems to run a bit funny after the second run. It hesitates before diving, and the speed seems to shift before high and low, I don't know if it's not charging enough, or getting to warm inside or what. As it is now, I find I have to try to adjust the course alot as mine veers off fairly quickly, not in 1 or 2 meters and I have to sort move ahead by going left/right. The worst part is, that when I dive, the proplem is even more pronounced because the motors are spinning faster and the sub dives in a spiral.

Anyway, thanks again,

Rob
Old 02-20-2004, 10:34 AM
gulfstreamI

robster94gt,

The problem you just described is the result if a "sticky" joystick. If you open up your transmitter unit you will notice that there is only one tiny spring that returns the joysick control into neutral position.
To compensate for this just try to "flick" the joystick into the direction you want to turn. To prove this, try swapping the plactic jostick housing of channel 2 with channel 1. Leave the pcb/ slideswitch in place. You will notice that the problem is now in your forward/ reverse control (channel2). The mini sub's movement will be similar to my mini- sub's sticky reverse.

good luck,

gulfstreamI
Old 02-22-2004, 02:58 AM
lam

hey guys im new to this siteand i looked here for the heck of it and wondered where you got these mini subs they sound pretty cool i saw one about toys r us but could i get them anwhere else?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:18 AM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: lam

hey guys im new to this siteand i looked here for the heck of it and wondered where you got these mini subs they sound pretty cool i saw one about toys r us but could i get them anwhere else?
lam,

Try your local Radioshack outlet. They have a mini sub there called "Mako" & they come in metallic black (27 Mhz) or metallic red color (49 Mhz).
Check out your local Wal Mart store. They have a submarine by Motorworks. The also come in two colors: Black/Red & Blue/Gray (27Mhz & 49Mhz).

Happy sub hunting!

gulfstreamI