Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Two-channel sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 PM
CrunchyFrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two-channel sub

I remember starting this hobby and feeling daunted by the standard advice: You have to have at least three channels to run a dynamic diver.

I have two channels and am diving and cruising my SSN21. I do not have a hobby-grade radio: I have reappropriated a Wal-Mart r/c boat board, plus I run an automotive windshield-washer pump on the ballast tank.

Here's how I am r/c submarining on two channels:

My experience with reverse gear on my SSN21 was that it was almost worthless. I had used an r/c speedboat prop - -and the highly pitched prop was excellent for forward drive, but all but ineffective for reverse.

The "reverse" direction on the stick became the ballast "blow" (not really blowing compressed gas, but it actuates my pump).

My tank is an add-on I installed forward of cog/cob. It's a reappropriated ointment jar. When flooded, it tips the bow down and I can drive the sub under dynamically.

My ballast tank has no flood valve - - just a 1/16" flood hole. It is constantly flooding (during flood there's an outlet "snorkel" too), not flooding fast but rather slowly. It floods just fast enough that my patience doesn't run out before I'm ready to dive. If I want to keep cruising on the surface, all I have to do is send my directive to the pump. The pump evacuates the tank fast so I can keep cruising on the surface.

It is not a static system, but an advanced dynamic diver: The pump can not restore positive buoyancy if none exists (although I can dive as deep as I want, and I return to the surface if I stop because I'm trimmed for positive buoyancy). So I TRIM my boat for a little freeboard when the tank is completely flooded, which isn't quite a static diver (static divers can flood to negative buoyancy and then restore positive buoyancy while dived).

The sub only has the range of a Wal Mart toy, but come on - -if you are out for a day driving and diving your sub, how far can you make out that conning tower, unless you packed the binoculars ? The sub can't hold a depth wtih precision - - but that goes with being a dynamic diver. This dynamic diver can shed buoyancy, "flood down" past decks awash., so it can rise more slowly than most dynamics - - not bad.

I confess I wish I hadn't burned out the third channel on the circuit board, or I could have potential for dive planes for some extra angle sometimes. I tend not to miss them though.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
petn7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two-channel sub

Very creative
Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM
coast219

Pictures please.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the creative submarine minds. Real can do people !!

Good work Crunchy.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
CrunchyFrog

Thanks all! Glad to oblige. Sorry I haven't taken any run photos, but here are some drydock shots.

The green thing is of course my ballast tank, with the windshield-washer pump sealed onto it. The "snorkel" terminates above the sub's sail so the pump can draw air in when at or near the surface. Its other function is during flood, since without some kind of opening opposite the flood hole, water wouldn't enter.

My rudder "servo" (hiding under the plugs next to the prop shaft in the stern-gear photo) is a motor from an r/c car. I'm just running this little cheapie in the wet, if it breaks I've got a half-dozen others. The rudder arm I made from sheet plastic (maybe from the same car).

Power source is 8 AA cells.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63121.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1167833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17110.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1167834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23371.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1167835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72339.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1167836  
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Germans stole the Snorkle from the Dutch subs. Camoflage paint it & it is scale.

Modern close to shore subs are all cheaper carbon powered because they are quiter & cheaper. Very difficult to detect, compared to a nuke.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
CrunchyFrog

I thought about camo'ing it...but it was too neat to watch the bubbles moving in the clear aquarium pipe ! I may end up doing that though.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 AM
coast219

I'd love to see a video of your sub.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 AM
CrunchyFrog

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNBgk9JDqjs]Crunchy's sub - - control panel[/link]
Not sure where that squawk came from as I turned the rudder - - never heard it before! When I reviewed the video I thought the noise came from my wife. We'd sure been laughing about something.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRzCez4ytOM]Quick dive, turnaround[/link] Sorry so brief

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Xcv4d6VnQ]Another pass[/link] Same path. Too much "roostertail," I need to shift some weight aft.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwB_wAo-Uc]A little more range[/link] Suggesting that range is decent with this toy r/c setup. My son's not driving it here but he's walking closer, I think that's how far we sent it out before he wanted to catch up.