RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

wtc end caps

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 AM
flyboybuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtc end caps

Hi all,

Can someone give me a step by step on making wtc end caps?

Thanks,
chris
Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
raalst

Default RE: wtc end caps

do you have access to a lathe ?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 PM
flyboybuster

no, but I do know how to create the molds for the end caps and produce them....the problem is the o-rings. I have tried putting them on, but they won't side into the wtc. They bind up or simply won't fit.....

Any help is appreciated
chris
Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 AM
raalst

the orings must be of an exact size, a few tenths of a millimeter larger outer diameter than the innner diameter of the wtc you put them in to. they must also sit snug against the bottom of the end caps' groove it is lying in. what you say sounds like an o-ring that is too large or too thick.

having said that, a bit of grease is probably required to have the thing sliding at all. some grease attack the rubber, not good.
I know for sure that silicon grease will not attack rubber. same for the grease used for faucets.

all you ever want to know about o-rings (and then some) :
[link=http://eriks.nl/documentatie/afdichtingen/o-ringen-en-overige-ringen/precision-o-rings-technnical-handbook.pdf]eriks' o-ring handbook[/link]
Old 09-26-2009, 10:24 AM
flyboybuster

thanks for the advice,

I'll try putting some grease on them. Is that a common problem, that grease needs to be added?

chris
Old 09-26-2009, 03:02 PM
raalst

I lubricate my o-rings as standard procedure, but I have no clue what others do.
I still think that your o-ring is too large to fit in the tube of the WTC. but it is easy to quickly
try the grease. let us know if it solved the issue.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:39 PM
AQUASUB

If you want the cheapest easest way to make a casing for a RC sub try what i have done and it works 100% of the time no leaks and no expensive laithes to buy and hope that it does not leak.
One method is the Aqucasing or the makers Valterra products line,I cangive more info on the parts needed as I was the discovere of this aplication to the RC Sub field of this fantastic aplication! It is by far the future of the RC sub,unmatched quality and high teck designe.
Then for smaller or all sizes there is the PVC clear or opaque casing ,again i found a new method to be able to make the common plumbbing parts be able to open witha an O ring and no tools or threw bolts no stressed frames as well.I can post how to make them its easy and very inexpensive but super flexable in casing designes for any sub size or type of ballst system.
if you have more questions plaese contact via PM

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87144.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1283928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93456.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1283929   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27361.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1283930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44446.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1283931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se45991.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1283932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47899.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1283933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo13898.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1283934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp52338.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1283935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn97375.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1283936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl60886.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1283937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn61778.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1283938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa12587.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1283939  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Skip Asay

After getting banned from at least 4 other boards, this guy (aquasub - AKA aquadeep) finally discovered RCU. Now we're going to see wild (unfounded) claims, taking credit for things he "pioneered" even though they've been around for years, endless 'buy my stuff - it's the greatest", personal attacks anytime anybody tries to show him reality, and the list goes on. Watch your backs.

Skip Asay
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
AQUASUB

I am sorry if good sound inovation gets in the way of your bottom line but there are alternatives to what is out there and everyone interested shuold know about them and build them if they like.
Only a person interested in slanderring for there own personal gain would write the above and has been fowareded to the apropreate authorities.
And let me correct this guy I have only been suspendid from 3 sites due to  the conflict of interest,mostly beacuse my stuff works thats all nothing else ,and any joe subber can build it,so who should you watch?
Interesting that no matter where i post the readership goes way up and other sites suffer and as usual this guy and others have to troll and slander and make personal attacks in the hope to get me suspendid all so that the great ideas and proven systems don;t get out and pollute the water with bovine manure as has been said hey it must be pretty good manuere as it always gets eaten up.
I also don't believe he read the rules here iether
Dave

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)

Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Skip Asay

One need only read your posts (the ones that are still up, at any rate) to see that the above is spot on true. I have neither the need nor the desire to manufacture anything.

Skip Asay
Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
AQUASUB

Read your own a few times[:'(]
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
AQUASUB

I like that add at the side by sullivan ,the crap trap ,sounds very apprpreat
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Skip Asay

"Read your own a few times"

No problem. I'll stand by everything I have written. I don't resort to name calling, making wild claims, saying stuff just because it sounds good, out and out lies, etc. Sadly, you can't say the same. No, wait. You can't say the same thing and still be truthful.

Skip Asay
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
AQUASUB

Just can't lay off ,sorry no more ,as in the add  stop the CR AP.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Skip Asay

"stop the CR AP."

Yes, please. Read your own words and then follow them. Please.

Skip Asay
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Skip Asay

To get this thread back on track, go to -

http://home.att.net/~cheap-sub/endcap.html

It's an inexpensive alternative by Fung Pang. Just be sure you substitute "pipe" for "pike" and "mold" for "mode".
Old 09-28-2009, 11:17 PM
AQUASUB

I am glad you got the message.

His design is more complex takes more tools takes more time and does not have 3 supports for the O ring and he himself says and it is true that most PVC does not have a perfectly round inside diamiter,he is trying to seal it from the inside,that is the rong aproach as is true in most manufactured casings.

In my design just cut a union or a slip cap in half without the inner shoulder slip it on the tube with a cap to the desired depth and glued in place with PVC glue ahead of the ring.A dremel cutting wheel is all I use and since the seal is on the out side the deeper it goes the tighter it gets along with the 3 suporting shuolders for the O ring it will not fail,made very simalarly to divers batery casings with stainless draw latches and screwed in place.
100% watertight integrity every time no maybeis or guessing here it done and for less than a lunch!

I will post how to later with lots of pics/diagrams .

Dave amur sub Yard
Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Noibla

ORIGINAL: AQUASUB

I am glad you got the message.

His design is more complex takes more tools takes more time and does not have 3 supports for the O ring and he himself says and it is true that most PVC does not have a perfectly round inside diamiter,he is trying to seal it from the inside,that is the rong aproach as is true in mostmanufactured casings.

In my design just cut a union or a slip cap in half without the inner shoulder slip it on the tube with a cap to the desired depth and glued in place with PVC glue ahead of the ring.A dremel cutting wheel is all I use and since the seal is on the out side the deeper it goes the tighter it gets along with the 3 suporting shuolders for the O ring it will not fail,made very simalarly to divers batery casings with stainless draw latches and screwed in place.
100% watertight integrity every time no maybeis or guessing here it done and for less than a lunch!

I will post how to later with lots of pics/diagrams .

Dave amur sub Yard
But yours are only nominal 4" diameter, how to use in a smaller vessel, you can't.
A smaller WTC even if it fits inside a hull may have part of it above water level in surfaced trim, this means you need a bigger tnak, not always possible. You stated this material is the same as used in underwater cameras. thats true, and as a scuba diver i have seen many of these crack and break where thechanges in section occur, this material isnt very good long term but it is cheap. Give melexan tube with a machined end cap anyday.

If you cant machine or mould your own caps then mike subworks or rogue subs offer pre-made end caps that work very well. I used both to make my own WTC's (Which i don't sell BTW)

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 AM
tsenecal

flyboybuster,

Mike's subworks also has components for WTCs of varying sizes:

http://mikessubworks.com/page1.html

just look for the entry among the list on the left side

Tim
Old 09-29-2009, 12:04 PM
AQUASUB

I don't know what you saw as far as the material type that cracked but god old PVC in 20 or 40 or even the 80 is super strong you can run your car over it and it won't cracK especialy the last two.Divers containers are offen made from a different material that might be more brital and its also machined ,the point is that the designe is very similar and it works without having to machine a thing,just a dremel stone wheel and a saw!

As for the diamiters it is possible to make one to 1/2 inch is that small enough for ya! As I said before all the PVC sives are available ,go to my hoby shop the local hardware store and see the range available ,any sub can use this designe,even mini ballast tanks and trim tanks.
C ompare the prices of what you mentioned ,with one cap you could make several casings with PVC!
I droped one on pupose the other day it only scrached the paint and was on concreate try that with Lexan ouch by by casing.
BTW I am not trying to sell you this product ,I am showing you how to make it,If I wanted to sell it I would not do that would I.

Dave Amur Sub Yard
Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Skip Asay

"I droped one on pupose the other day it only scrached the paint and was on concreate try that with Lexan ouch by by casing."

I guess it's safe to say that you aren't aware of the fact that Lexan is used as bullet proof armor? You're confusing Lexan with acrylic (plexiglass) and very few people use acrylic.

Skip Asay
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM
AQUASUB

No, I know what I am saying do you is the casings you are referring to are as thick as bullet proof Lexan or plexiglass?
Lets compare the right stuff,take a usual thin walled casing and drop it on its edge or even on its side ,not a good thing will happen as in crack ![:@].Major wallet suching there my friend.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:09 AM
AQUASUB

PVC just get another section cut it and make another,thats if its cracked,pennies on the dallar.

Dave
Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use drug store pill bottles & the cap that comes with them. Any drug store will give / sell them for $.50 each. Maximum.
Many sizes. Put a THIN coating of grease on the top of the bottle ONLY.
Deeper the sub goes the tighter the cap seals.
1 for each motor
1 for all ESC's. & receiver
1 for rear control servos
1 for foward bow surfaces

Mini boat has all ESC-servos-receiver - BATTERY IN 1 PILL BOTTLE. G E SILICONE rubber seals cable holes.
Drive shaft holes take several drill sizes to get just the right fit with some grease as a final seal.

THERE WAS & ALWAYS WILL BE MANY WAYS TO DO ANY PROBLEM.

Rich
Old 09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
AQUASUB

Thats the spirit I like to see ,I aplaud that thinking out of the box all the time,I have used those bottles as well and like the way they seal but unfortunatly your limited to there lenght .But for a minicasing there great for say a switch or as in your aplication.Great stuff keep it up!

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.