Question on long ballast tank >

Question on long ballast tank

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Question on long ballast tank

Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on long ballast tank

Did anybody encounter problem on shifting centre of gravity on long narrow ballast tank as water rushing to the front or back ( like when we carry a long aquarium half full of water & tip ) upsetting the subs' level and cannot recover from the oblique angle ?
If so, what is the maximum tank length proportional to the boat length is not likely to cause this problem ?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Default RE: Question on long ballast tank

I've seen some long tanks but I've never seen one so long as to throw the boat's trim off so far that it can't recover. That would take a truly long tank!! Just how long are you considering?

One thing to keep in mind is that a submarine DOES NOT dive (or surface) perfectly level. When diving, it takes on a slight bow down attitude and when surfacing, a slight bow up attitude. With this in mind, a little bit of "sloshing" is actually helpful.

But bear in mind that this only applies to a ballast system where the tank is always 100% full of either air or water. If you are building a system which compresses the air inside the tank, baffles WILL be required since there's no way to completely compress all the air inside the tank.

Hope this helps.

Skip Asay
Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Usualy the tank should be less than half of the subs lenght ,depending also on how much free board you want,Russian nukes have huge tanks for very high freeboard,US subs much smaller for very little free board.
Baffles are esential in large ballast tanks,I have used them in mine for years .About evert 2 inches does the trick.
See my other threads about them.

Dave
</p>
Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 PM

Tank detail.
It was not untill I installed baffles in large tanksthat perfect level static diving was possible as the ponds waves would always move the subs cg.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83405.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1494798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69990.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1494799  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks to all for the good info, as usual !