RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Submarines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-submarines-119/)
-   -   Simple Commercial Buoyancy Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-submarines-119/11677719-simple-commercial-buoyancy-engine.html)

subnewbie123 04-20-2020 06:12 PM

Simple Commercial Buoyancy Engine

Hi All!

First post, and generally unfamiliar with the community and rc submarines. I have a project for university, requiring us to design a system which can descend and ascend, to as deep as possible preferably (but not critical). It is encouraged to use off the shelf components, rather than design everything from scratch. I have done research and found applications of using a syringe, RCABS, peristaltic pumps to simulate a buoyancy engine. However, I have having difficulty finding a fully commercial one available, only a model from Arkmodels.
Note it doesn't have to be super complex - it is only going up and down so no complex ballast system is needed! It just should be reliable and ideally have a failsafe mechanism. Can anyone help me point me in the right direction of a commercially available buoyancy engine, or possibly at least one that would require minimal parts to supply?

Thanks

airsteve172 04-20-2020 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by subnewbie123 (Post 12598583)
Hi All!

First post, and generally unfamiliar with the community and rc submarines. I have a project for university, requiring us to design a system which can descend and ascend, to as deep as possible preferably (but not critical). It is encouraged to use off the shelf components, rather than design everything from scratch. I have done research and found applications of using a syringe, RCABS, peristaltic pumps to simulate a buoyancy engine. However, I have having difficulty finding a fully commercial one available, only a model from Arkmodels.
Note it doesn't have to be super complex - it is only going up and down so no complex ballast system is needed! It just should be reliable and ideally have a failsafe mechanism. Can anyone help me point me in the right direction of a commercially available buoyancy engine, or possibly at least one that would require minimal parts to supply?

Thanks

Although I've never been involved with model submarines, your challenge sounds intriguing.

My approach to your problem would be to go with simplicity and the simplest system that I can think of is one that is primary comprised of a compressed air tank (for power) and an air bladder.

For control, 2 valves can be used, one to supply compressed air from the tank to the bladder (to ascend) and another one that would release air from the bladder (to dive).

I don't know what criteria your failsafe system would have to meet so I'll leave that to your imagination.

subnewbie123 04-21-2020 04:43 PM

Hi airsteve172,

Thanks for response. I've had a look at some compressed air systems. Some use not a compressed air cannister, but just use the air from the water-tight chamber, causing a low pressure cell. We've also had a look at some peristaltic pumps as well but not sure that they could withstand pressures at lower depths, especially given the size we're meant to be restricted to (150mm diameter cylinder).

Gato.Submarine 04-29-2020 07:04 AM

The RC submarine hobby is a small group. We do not have the volume like the quad copter folks do. You are limited in number of sources or cost.
At forum.rc-sub.com there is a gentleman selling a couple of sub-drivers.

RickP 05-09-2020 03:27 AM

Look up the Nautilus Dry docks. There are ballast compartments with exactly what you are looking for.
RP