Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Stripped Screw Holes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Screw Holes

What's the best fix for stripped plastic screw holes? My MATO Sherman turret won't stay together anymore and I don't want to make things worse.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 PM
four slot

Default RE: Stripped Screw Holes

Try 5 minute epoxy. Fill in the screw holeinsert the screw into the epoxy and before the epoxy fully sets unscrew the screw and then yo should be able screw and unscrew to your hearts content unless of course you do not wish to take the screw out then just leave it. Good to go.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 AM
taoJ

ORIGINAL: Eggman1965

What's the best fix for stripped plastic screw holes? My MATO Sherman turret won't stay together anymore and I don't want to make things worse.
If your using coarse thread you can try finethread, that usually works for me, if the plastic is cracked, you can sleeve the outside after you put a little epozy or ca on the crack(s)or you can melt a little plastic in the hole, drill and retap
Old 09-23-2010, 05:00 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I habe had success with a few drops of Loctite Super Glue Gel from Canadian Tire.

I put a drop on a tooth pick, spread it around the edge of the hole, let it dry, then reinstall the screw.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also buy brass threaded inserts. These fit inside the plastic post and then you change over to new screws.

I have found these on ebay under 1/24 slot cars. They are old COX stock. I imagine if you looked around you could find a new supply of these somewhere, Nice thing is they provide a real good fix that will stand the test of time.