Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 Pz III Ausf H, Krasnogvardeisk Russia, August 1941 build >

Pz III Ausf H, Krasnogvardeisk Russia, August 1941 build

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Pz III Ausf H, Krasnogvardeisk Russia, August 1941 build

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pz III Ausf H, Krasnogvardeisk Russia, August 1941 build

Fellow tankers,</p>

I'm embarking on my first build thread on this forum. The subject will be a Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf H that may have hypothetically engaged the KV-1 ekhranami of Lieutenant Zinoviy Kolobanov in the viscinity of Krasnogvardeisk, Russia, August 1941. Of course I will also be embarking on the build of the KV-1, but that's another story. Be aware that I am a mechanic, and not much of an artist. I may not be very fast either, and my ask for advice at times.</p>

Figure 1 and Figure 2

The starting point for this build is a grey Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf H "Tauchpanzer" from Heng Long that was purchased from Mato Toys.

Figure 3

Metal drive sprockets, idlers, and tracks swapped over from a Heng Long Pz IIIAusf L. Probably are Mato sprockets, idlers and tracks. I will be working the tracks in more detail in the future.

Figure 4

3:1 Mato gearboxes from RCTankwars installed. For reference I was not very pleased with the quality of these Matogearboxes compared to Asiatam units and will only consider Asiatam gearboxes in the future.

Figure 5 and 6

Internal antenna based on threads from Pzrwest and Perry S. Wire is 14 gauge magnet wire wrapped around 5/16" styrene tube.

Figure 7

Part of the RX-18 conversion kit from RC Tankwars to convert from the original RX-14 to RX-18 with Heng long infrared battle system

Figure 8

RX-14 already removed from the PzIII

Figure 9 and 10

Pz III wiring reconfigured to accept RX-18. Changes include connector for power, volume knob with connector, and geaboxes with connectors (already converted when 3:1 gearboxes installed)

Upcoming episodes

Installation of RX-18 and test run.
Installation of HL infrared battle unit
Installation of Asiatam recoil unit and Tank-Modelbau recoiling barrel
Installation of Tank-Modelbau "anti-kickback" unit

Frank

</p>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ge96261.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1513036   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb88256.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1513037   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx61393.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	1513038   Click image for larger version

Name:	xr46259.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1513039   Click image for larger version

Name:	xi60824.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	582.8 KB
ID:	1513040   Click image for larger version

Name:	cs15006.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	766.1 KB
ID:	1513041   Click image for larger version

Name:	jm96461.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	965.2 KB
ID:	1513042   Click image for larger version

Name:	zx81972.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1,006.0 KB
ID:	1513043  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hf69634.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1513044   Click image for larger version

Name:	nl30271.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	933.2 KB
ID:	1513045  
Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pz III Ausf H, Krasnogvardeisk Russia, August 1941 build

Very nice work so far. Neat and looks to be coming along nicely. You are in the right place if you have any questions. There are guys here who are experts in history, modelling, electrical systems, modifications, you name it. Welcome aboard and keep the pictures coming.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Thanks Yellowshaker,

I'm excited yet intimidated by what will be the final stages of paint, finishing. At that stage I will definitely be in receive mode.

Frank
Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good so far. One recommendation: turn your antenna so that it lays on the side. You currently have it horizontally polarized. When you hold the controller, it's antenna will generally be vertically polarized. If the transmission and reception antennas don't have the same polarization, your range will suffer (at best) or it won't work at all (at worst).

Oh, did you mix in plastic and metal tracks? Looks like there is a black link in the middle of one of the tracks.

Looks like the Mato gearboxes are all brass. I thought the Asiatam gearboxes were also all brass. What makes the Mato box inferior to the Asiatam ones?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 AM

AWESOME!  I hope you'll have a much fun with your HL Panzer 3 as much as  I have with mine!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Philipat,

Thanks for the recommendation on hte antenna. I'll give that a try.

As for the tracks, the metal tracks I got were very tight, so I scrounged up another two links, but they were painted black. Now the tracks are too loose, so I will have to work on this later.

I had a number of problems with the Mato gearboxes that I did not have with the Asiatam unit. My database at this time is Mato units in my KV-1 and PZ III H, and an Asiatam unit in my Stug III
a) The mounting holes on the bottom of the gearbox that allow the unit to bolt to the lower hull were not properly positioned, so I had to enlarge the holes.
b) All the gearshafts were not parallel and so will probably result in increased friction
c) Lastly, the setscrew in may of the gears were not tight. On my KV-1 a set screw came loose while I was driving it causing the gear to jam. When the gear jammed it bent the gear and smoked the motor, which I had to later replace.
While none of the Mato gearbox issues are insurmountable, for $10 more dollars I think I have prettty good opportunity to avoid them all.

Frank
Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 AM

When I started doing these tanks I found that searching other threads for pitures was very helpful in learning to paint them. Search and you will find some great tutorials on paint and weathering on this forum. I have 2 PzIII tanks . One has the asiatam hull and all the trimming, including elmod. The other is bone stock and still airsoft. Both of them run great. Here's a link to my latest work on the elmod tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLAAKvZowE
You are right about the Mato boxes. they are poorly assembled and do not compare to Asiatam units.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:27 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never had really good luck with the coil antenna although others seem to have. In almost all cases I have reverted back to a vertical whip antenna. I'll be interested to see what kind of luck you have with yours. It looks really well done.

Keep the pictures coming.

I have three sets of Mato boxes, only the last ones presented a problem, where I had to add a shim. Of course you should back out all the grub screws and retighted with some blue threadlock.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Yes YHR, I learned my lesson on the set screws. I will reset the set screws even on my next Asiatam gearbox

Frank
Old 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM

As far as the antenna goes I seem to have goo range with only the internal antenna wire that is stock.  I disconnected the outer stock antenna for realism purposes.  I did purchase an antenna from rc tank world for my panzer ausf.l.  I am going to attach the stock internal wire to it and see if that helps with range.  I will post the results when I am done.  thats just my two cents on antennas
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My PzIII is going to get RCCommand steel geard 3:1 boxes when they become available. Not sure what electronics package I'm going with yet. May do a DBCRC2 It is definately going to get the Asiatam recoil set up with the L60 gun. And Impact Ostketten tracks. i know most guy's like the winterketten tracks but Mine will be a later model so the ostketten will be the proper track. Not sure if I'm gonna do the Asiatam hull. Unless i can get a good deal on it. it really is worth it by the time you upgrade all the wheels and suspension so will probably do it. I think I'm gonna do a 2nd. Pz Div. unit to go with my Tamiya Panther G. gonna eventually get an HL Panther G too. that is a great tank, and If HL did it right the first time I would probably never have bought the Tamiya. There are so many ways to upgrade the HL's now it is just so much fun to build them up.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:08 PM

As for painting and weathering check out this thread I started its got great info on it and a link to the DAK painting and weathering tutorial which is an absolutly wondeful tutorial. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10007821/tm.htm

Also if you don't yet have an airbrush check out the passche talon...its a great airbrush and reasonably priced

There are many threads on this sight about airbrushes and weathering and painting that have great info just use the search function..
Old 10-09-2010, 06:42 PM

I found this link to a great picture thread on  PzIII
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-09-2010, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Panther G

My PzIII is going to get RCCommand steel geard 3:1 boxes when they become available. Not sure what electronics package I'm going with yet. May do a DBCRC2 It is definately going to get the Asiatam recoil set up with the L60 gun. And Impact Ostketten tracks. i know most guy's like the winterketten tracks but Mine will be a later model so the ostketten will be the proper track. Not sure if I'm gonna do the Asiatam hull. Unless i can get a good deal on it. it really is worth it by the time you upgrade all the wheels and suspension so will probably do it. I think I'm gonna do a 2nd. Pz Div. unit to go with my Tamiya Panther G. gonna eventually get an HL Panther G too. that is a great tank, and If HL did it right the first time I would probably never have bought the Tamiya. There are so many ways to upgrade the HL's now it is just so much fun to build them up.
Any idea when RCCommand's steel gears (3:1) will be back in stock? I'd like to get a set of those for my PzIII as well.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Episode 2

Figures 11 and 12

Hooked up all wires to the RX18 as follows:
CN1 - Battery
CN4 - Volume
CN5 - Speaker
CN6 - Left gearbox
CN7 - Right gearbox
CN8 - Receiver
CN9 - Upper hull wiring harness

Figure 13

Test drive. Found right and left gearboxes reversed (note that connections above are correct) and upper hull wiring harness loose. Now all works fine.

Figure 14 and 15

I checked out the affect of orientation of my internal antenna on range. In thevertical orientation as in Figure 5 and 6 range about 50 ft. In the horizontal orientation range about 60 ft. Please note that my transmitter batteries may not be the freshest, but I made the decision to reconfigure the antenna to the horizontal orientation based on relative performance. 60 ft is about the limit on what I can really track the orientation of my tank anyway. In the future I will check range with fresh batteries in the transmitter.

Upcoming episodes

Installation of HL infrared battle unit
Installation of Asiatam recoil unit and Tank-Modelbau recoiling barrel
Installation of Tank-Modelbau "anti-kickback" unit

<span style="font-size: small">Frank</span>

Name:	bz79497.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1514190   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh20951.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1514191   Click image for larger version

Name:	ch96097.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1514192   Click image for larger version

Name:	zs52093.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	624.6 KB
ID:	1514193   Click image for larger version

Name:	te48465.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1514194  
Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Looking good. Glad to hear that the antenna orientation helped. You can get more distance by moving the antenna as high as possible inside the tank. But, sounds like you're happy with where it's at.

Any plans to correct the orientation of the cupola? I saw a tutorial on here a while back about how, but now I can't find it. Photo shows what it should be (green line). Basically, the opening should run perpendicular to the front vision port.

Name:	rp44822.png
Views:	45
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1514320  
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Philipat,

Thanks for the input. So on the antenna, should I attach it to the bottom of the upper hull somewhere?

And as the the cupola I'm all ears. I thought it didn't look right. I will search for a thread, but if you find something please forward the info.

Update: Found the link from Swathdiver from his Pz IIIN http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6397063
I need to study this for a while, I may have some questions

thanks again

Frank
Old 10-10-2010, 09:41 PM

I found the fix. It was one of Swathdiver's builds. Here's the link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6397063/tm.htm.

If you do it, take some good pictures, too. I like the way that you've done your pictures along the way. BTW...Swathy mentions drain holes. It took me staring at each picture several times to see them. They're on the vertical lip of the top of the cupola.

For the antenna, higher is best. Top of the turret and away from the motors will maximize your height. The idea is to have the receiving antenna still be able to "see" the transmitting antenna when it drops into a dip or goes behind a small hill or something.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Philipat,

I actually have three Pz III's. The first HLtank I bought about 2.5 yrs ago which is a sand Ausf L, a newer grey Ausf L, and the Ausf Hthat I am using in the build thread. The newer grey Ausf L has a RX-18 in it already, while the old sand Ausf L has the RX-14. There is one more very interesting difference. The new grey Ausf L has the hatch in the cupola fixed! See attached photo (I will make a picture later to clarify the point). Quite an example of continuous improvement from HL. Now I have to decide if I will just swap the cupola from the new grey Ausf L or fix the existing cupola on my Ausf H.

Frank

Name:	xv65418.jpg
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	1515074  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Ha! That's awesome! Glad to see they're making improvement. My PzIII is an L and I got it 2007, or so. I thought about just getting the metal cupola that AsiaTam makes, but Steve and Welsh Dragons told me that its alignment was wrong. So, I'm in the process of trying to fix mine the same way that Swathdiver fixed his. However, in the process I have cut up some of the "dots" that are in the top of the cupola. So, the question is: do I just sand them off, or try to replace them with some scale hardware? I'm sure that they are supposed to either be bolt heads or rivet heads, anyway.

On that note, anyone know if the top of the cupola used rivets or bolts on the 1:1 version?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Episode 3

Figures 16-20

So it was pointed out that the hatch on my Pz IIIH was crooked relative to the cupola. I decided to check my Pz IIIHcompared to the Pz III L I have and found that this problem was corrected on the Pz IIIL. Several of the earlier posts identify a fix for those afflicted with the crooked hatch, but since this is my first major build and I will have plenty of other challenges this first time, I will kick the can down the street to when I get to the Ausf L. So I have swapped the "good" cupola to the Ausf H.

Preliminary Plan Going Forward

I have a lot planned for the build of my Pz III Ausf H, so Ihave a prelim plan to break it up in phases

Phase 1 - Electronics/electrical and turret mods
Phase 2 - Upper hull mods
Phase 3 - Lower Hull Mods

<u>Phase 1- Electronic/electrical and turret mods

</u>Figures 21-25

Figure 21 shows the accumulation of most of the parts needed for the electronics/electrical and turret mods. Figure 22 shows the Asiatam recoil unit from RCTankwars and the Tank-Modelbau recoiling barrel from Welsh Dragon. Figure 23 shows the anti track recoil Tank-Modelbau ARM-02B from Welsh Dragon. This unit will be used to fire the cannon LED. Figure 24 shows the Tank-Modelbau bow and turret led MG's from ETO Armor. Figure 25 shows the HL IRemitter and receiver kit from Welsh Dragon. I have an order to Digikey for resistors, diodes and connectors to enable the electronic/electrical upgrades. Figure 26 shows the external mods to be accomplished on the turret. As mentioned I will be replacing the coaxial turret MG with the LEDunit. I will also be removing the waterproofing flange around the mantlet. The final product of my Pz IIIAusf H build is not meant to simulate a Tauchpanzer, so I will be removing/converting the Tauchpanzer features back to what would be a typical Ausf H.

Name:	yw66612.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1518352   Click image for larger version

Name:	up48858.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	643.1 KB
ID:	1518353   Click image for larger version

Name:	jo29976.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	881.8 KB
ID:	1518354   Click image for larger version

Name:	tm30577.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	807.3 KB
ID:	1518355   Click image for larger version

Name:	zk67049.jpg
Size:	930.8 KB
ID:	1518356   Click image for larger version

Name:	zq97820.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	849.8 KB
ID:	1518357   Click image for larger version

Name:	oq20618.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	1518358   Click image for larger version

Name:	om43507.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	1518359  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cb54180.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	1518360   Click image for larger version

Name:	bn67313.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	1518361   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx98315.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1518362  
Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM

Very nice parts you have there. It's looking great!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:46 PM

I like your plans on the cupola. I tried mine and it didn't come out too clean. I may have to see if I can get another cupola from Mato that is already fixed.

I have those same turret and hull MGs made by Tank-modelbau. I've already installed the turret MG. The wiring hook-up was easy since its a direct replacement for the existing LED. However, I'll be interested in how you hide the wiring. I tried following the same route as the HL LED wiring and not it's visible behind the mantlet from the top view. Also, I haven't wired in the hull MG yet. If, once you get it wired in, you post a wiring diagram that would be great!

How was working with Welsh Dragon?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Philipat,

I'd be interested to know what you mean when you installed the turret MG with "existing wiring"? I didn't think any of the PzIII's have a MG led in the turret.

Welsh Dragon was great. Steve Boyd responded promptly to my emails regarding technical questions. The package was sent within 1-2 days of my order and came in about 5-6 working days. Shipping was only about 6.50 USD. Prices were very competitive.

Frank
Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Glad to hear that Welsh was easy to work with. I've been looking at some of their stuff.

I didn't think my PzIII had an LED, either because I couldn't see it when I was hitting the MG button. However, when I took apart the mantlet to install the new MG, there was a small LED stuck in the mantlet near the hole that the MG sticks out from. I guess the idea was to have the red flash from behind and around the MG through the small space between the MG and the mantlet. You might be able to see the red flash in a very dark room. Anyhow, as you take apart the mantlet to remove that MG, look for wires in the mantlet. If you have them, they'll go to the LED that you'll replace with the new flashing MG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.