Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

T 55 by Hooben

Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T 55 by Hooben

My T55:
Next problem went to install retract unit, there are two screws TM 23 OK TM5 did not seem to
have any threads, Took it apart the plate is too short, the threading process just threaded air.
Off to Hooben.
Darryl Usher
Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I would try to get Hobben to replace the entire kit Daryl. They must have worked out most of your problems by now. may be you got an very early version before the final finish work was completed.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM

These are the NEW parts I received this week!
Darryl Usher
Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM

Bummer. Don't know what else to say. maybe Bob should raise that question with Hobben since he will be our dealer here in the states. He should ask if we all will be having these issues and why.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like someone still doesn't have even the most basic IQC in place to handle incoming material inspection, let alone any ongoing production or final quality procedures to guarantee issues like this don't occur. I've been doing independent QA inspection for customers here for the past nine years & have over 20 years of on-the-ground China experience to ensure surprises like this don't happen weeks after you've paid for the order & then discover upon receipt that you're screwed with a shipment of defective or miss-represented goods.

Hate to say it but this is SOP for them. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Ex Pat, see the reply I just made to Ken, aka Kclank.
Sweet! I'd hate to have to buy the whole kit just for the chassis, as there really isn't much I can do with the left overs [:@]
Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM

I know when I got mine several months ago(pre-assembled) it was missing a lot of nuts-n-bolts as well as problems with the different motors having terrible solder joints(ultra cheap wire , which all had to be replaced by a more robust brand. I loved the tank, but to be honest the build quality was terrible which is why I finally sold it as I was tired of screwing  with it.....next time(if ever) I will order a kit...
Old 10-16-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Darryl, email me and lets see if we can address these problems. Daryl is also working on his kits, and will tonight your time work on the problems you have mentioned. We will of course be providing support for Hooben in this endeavor, and I need to know of any problems with the kit that need to be addressed. I am also working on cleaning up the instructions a bit, and an instruction suppliment will be included with the kits I deliver.

This kit is not for the first time modeler. While it does not require advanced skills, it does require some knowledge and experience.

Expat, you will not have to buy the entire kit for the parts you want. Situation is Hooben will not be making parts for sale individually for another 3 months or so.

Please remember, fellow tankers, Hooben is new at this, and this is their first of several efforts. There will be teething problems, but we will do our level best to sort them out. According to Daryl T, this is basically a pretty good kit, especially for a first of, and he foresees few real problems with it. Besides, who else has a really scale 1/16 Sov tank of relatively modern vintage? Is it Tamiya? No. Is it good? Yes, according to Daryl T, and he and I have been in this hobby together for about 10 years.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 AM
My Feedback: (3)

When Hooben can supply the item in one package/shipment, and through a stateside QA/importer (Like Mato did for us) then they will get my precious & limited savings. Until then, they go to another tank.

Sorry Hooben.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:15 AM

http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=51

Good enough, me lad?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Ken, Hooben has made it crystal clear that replacement parts will be available in December for stock, probably in stock in January. Now, that being said, any missing or defective parts from my kits will be addressed immediately. However, for off the shelf spares it will be some time yet. I do intend to stock items, and of course can special order parts for you, but it will be in December.
sounds good, my bucket list may get a little it shorter.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:40 AM

It is probably Tamiya Leopard 2A6 electronics and sound mounted inside T55 on this video

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjEzMTczNzAw.html

Tank speed depends also on type of gearboxes and ESC mounted inside - for example the same tank with Elmod and Hooben T55 gearbox will run much more slowly.

Probably it is original Hooben T55 sound and electronics - quality is not as good as Tamiya
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTYyNDg3NTky.html
Old 10-16-2010, 03:25 PM

Man, I've wanted this tank in 1/16 for years. A real shame, the Hobbo tank looks really nice! []
Old 10-16-2010, 03:49 PM

最新的官方视频和照片

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjEzMTczNzAw.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjEzMzE1MDAw.html

</p>
Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 PM

There's no doubt it is a cool tank. Something this hobby has needed since i started as far as I'm concerned. Lets just hope Bob can get them pointed in the direction they need too be headed in. If it can be done I think he is the man to do it. We shall see.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Well looks like ill be buying one in a few weeks after all .

Jimmy
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Didn't mean to drag you into that Sevo but you will be our guy for this tank so who better to try and get these issues hammered out before the kits start showing up. Hobben seems to have a lot of respect for your opinions so maybe you can get these guys on the right track.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:46 PM

I'll be giving it me best, Gregg. I will be talking shortly with Daryl and Daryl T about any problems (just got up..late...sigh) and we'll get this all worked out one way or another.
First shipment of kits is sold out already. I'll order more today.
Hulu, your built one runs well? It was your vid posted?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 88mm

Man, I've wanted this tank in 1/16 for years. A real shame, the Hobbo tank looks really nice! []
shame for whom?
I was writing about this video and tank sound only - not about the whole kit quality
I have this tank without Hooben electronics - So Im interersting about Hooben T55 sound quality . Unfortunately I couldn't find any good demo.

If You want this tank You can now simply order it .

Old 10-17-2010, 03:40 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the tank looks great in the pictures and the demo of it running looked really good.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 AM

I asked Daryl T for his opinions about the durability and toughness of the new T-55 kit for RC club tank and backyard infrared battleplay, since he is building his kit right now for Danville meets.

DT is a master model builder and designer of many performance impovement parts for both Tamiya and HL RC 1/16 tanks, for those unfamiliar with the name. He also does amazing builds for a select group of loyal clients,besides selling his brilliant parts from sources like ETO and or direct. And 2 more cents: With the potential to have 3 different cold war era tank kits available for rc club and or backyard fighting: the T-55; the new Tamiya Static Leopard A4 (this kit is designed for easier DIY modern DMD full option conversion); and the Tamiya Super Sherman, overall, things are again interesting.

Here is DT's emall from last night and basically the T-55 kit is OK:

"I have the plan (as of now) of making my T-55 as "stock" as possible, and changing only what I see as a problem for "Danville Duty". This begins with ball bearings. I also don't like the gun elevation or recoil system, but will use the Hooben recoil with my own trunnion, which will be smoother than the plastic parts on the T-55. I don't want the recoil to jam, and if I do a metal version, it is more smooth and rigid anyway. The elevation mechanism is OK, but uses limit switches instead of a clutch as on Tamiya. Looks like it may fall apart any minute also. It's bulkier than the Tamiya unit. It has less 'quality' than I want to equip in my tank model. It would be a shame to make a beautiful tank with upgrades and still have an awful looking elevation unit. The recoil isn't much better but I want to try the recoil before I condemn it. It all works, and I give Hooben that much credit, I just don't know how long their mechanical components will work though.

The fitting of ball bearings in the roadwheels is ongoing. They will require machining to do accurately. Tedious but not impossible, assuming the wheels are unbuilt.

The gearboxes will remain 'stock' for now. I don't have the time to upgrade them to proper bearings or to fit Tamiya gearboxes. In this case, if the tank breaks down, I will convert at that point to Tamiya. There is no way to fit a conventional gearbox brace on the T-55, the gearboxes attach directly to the flat plastic hull bottom. For bracing I may have to come up with something more innovative. The motors need to be replaced with Speed 400 motors. I don't like the cheap Chinese motors supplied with the tanks. They run but are not efficient. I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the magnets (being weaker than they should) and the 'winds' of the armature.

The upper and lower hull are screwed together (as designed by Hooben). I am changing this since we must have fast access to change batteries in Danville. I am hinging my hull to do this.

Turret rotation works OK, though there is a problem with the screws in the ring gear. I know how to solve the problem, so will pass that along as needed. I will look into doing a 'fix' for this, if someone asks, it can be provided (shipped out) and it saves them the headache of finding the parts and such. The fix is flat-head screws, nuts, and a countersink bit (and instructions). It will take longer for me to write instructions than to do the actual work if someone sent me the ring gear for rework. But once done, a 'kit' would be very handy for those who want to do the work themselves.

I have to look into costs for the countersink bit, and a collar to limit it's depth. Screws are cheap.

The plastic track feels a little delicate, so I don't know how it will hold up. Metal track would be real nice at this point.

I have not fitted my idlers yet on the T-55 hull. They may need to be spring loaded, I have yet to see a tank that doesn't benefit from spring loading of the idler, except for the Sherman and Pershing which both have deep track teeth. The spring loading also helps prevent track breakage if debris gets jammed in the track or wheels. The idler arms are castings which terminate in a nut, which is not very good. I don't see what would keep the idler from spinning loose if the nut isn't real tight, which is impossible since the hull is plastic and you can't tighten a nut too tight against the plastic hull. I have not got to that stage of assembly, though I am close. It appears the idler arm may have to be reworked with another arm or a drilled hole for leverage.

I already modified my idler wheel for ball bearings. I do this in my lathe, and of course it's not something easily done otherwise. You can try to do such work in a drill press, but a wobbly wheel is often the result.

The T-55 isn't a beginner's tank, it will require some skill and work to build from a kit. I bought the kit with this in mind. They offer ready-built models as well, I can't vouch for quality of the parts and the fit/finish though. I bought a spare kit to use as spare parts only, so I could go through two gearboxes, two sets of track, etc. and not be bothered too much. Anything that breaks, I have an extra.

As for a build for you, it just depends on what I end up seeing as a problem. There are few serious issues. Just several minor ones, and some won't matter unless you run your tank a lot in gritty environments. The grit in Danville will eat a "stock" tank up in two days, but someone running the same tank in his backyard for a few weekends a year, he'll get a few years from the same set-up. He does not require ball bearings, or a reliable mechanical set-up inside the tank. I don't want to spend 5 hours driving to Danville, and end up with a broken tank, so it needs to run well and be tough. But in my yard, if a tank breaks, I am 20 seconds back inside and either getting another tank, or thinking about taking a nap.

For detailing and paint potential, the T-55 is a nice kit. It has huge potential, and considering how many nations have T-55s in their military, the colors and markings are endless. I am leaning towards Russia Afghanistan 1980/1981, based on the movie The Beast (not accurate at all), but may even go Syrian, Egyptian, or Iraqi. Problem is I believe the Russians had T-62s in Afghanistan, not T-55s, but for a movie all they could get were T-55s which were actually Israeli Ti-67s which were T-55s with upgraded equipment, upgraded cannon, extra stowage and Browning .50 cals for AA and soft target defense. The movie tanks are so wrong it's not even funny but still iconic. I like the desert coloring for a change of pace, and that is one reason why I am picking these choices.

As I actually read more and learn more about the T-55, differences in variants and such become easier to understand."

Hope this helps,
Daryl T

Postscript: And T-55 "The Beast" is kinda a Soviet "Kelly's Heros" tank. All in all super interesting stuff.

<br type="_moz" />
Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 AM

Anyway, I think the new Tamiya Leo 4A static &ndash; DIY full option conversion kit will make a good backyard infrared foe for the T-55. LOL
Old 10-17-2010, 12:27 PM

AHHHHHHHHH I'm getting really aggravated. i want this tank yesterday.At this rate it will be months before i can order one. AAAAAAARRRRRRGh.<div> I gotta start selling some of my old stuff i don't need. Any body need any Bass guitars? LOL.</div>
Old 10-17-2010, 02:55 PM

LOL!! Not here we don't!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK I am really getting interested in this tank now. Dropped a hint with my wife, that this T-55 would make a great Christmas present.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.