Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 Problem - RC Tank controller works two tanks >

Problem - RC Tank controller works two tanks

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Problem - RC Tank controller works two tanks

Old 10-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem - RC Tank controller works two tanks

I just bought my son two RC tanks for his birthday. I probably should have done a bit more research but anyway I ended up with these:

1/12 Super Green Camo M1A2 Abram Panzer Airsoft Radio Remote Control RC Battle Tank

1/12 Super Desert M1A2 Abram Panzer Airsoft Radio Remote Control RC Battle Tank

Picked them up at BananaHobby.

Anyway, when I got them out of the box and charged the batteries for the first run I have a bit of a problem. Though the two tanks appear to have different frequency chips, one is 27 MHz and the other is 40 MHz, it turns out that the controller for the 27 MHz tank also operates the 40 MHz tank. Interestingly enough, the 40 MHz tank operates fine with it's own controller labeled 40 MHZ and the controller for the 40 MHz tank will not operate the 27 MHz tank at all.

I have unscrewed the controllers to look at their boards and see that each has only one chip and the label on the chip matches the label on the outside. There is one small capacitor on the 40 MHz controller that is not on the 27 MHz controller but that is the only difference that I see between them. It is located in the upper left corner at C7 in the attached pics.

I am beginning to believe that the 40 MHz tank has two chips in it.

Is this possible?

I am reluctant to take the tank apart to see since I may mess something up and then be unable to return it.

Should I just return both of them or can I easily fix this so that everyone can start their battles?

Does anyone have any guide for testing or replacing the chips in one of these tanks?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:49 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Problem - RC Tank controller works two tanks

Query: Do either of the tanks note that the frequency is alterable by changing a frequency chip?

If so, you may need to get a few other sets so that you can find a pair that allow you to operate the tanks independantly.

Only solution I can suggest... apart from return of the items. Dunno if BananaHobby would even take them back.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Whitewolf,</p>

</p>

No I can't find anything that mentions altering the frequency on the tank. The documentation on these things is really lacking. the instruction guide is mostly Chinese with Chinglish translation and some pictures to guide you.</p>

I don't want to buy another just to make two of them work. Seems a bit of a waste.</p>

I have my doubts about their return policy. It mentions that if the item has been "assembled" they may not take it back. Wonder what that means...</p>

Thanks for the reply.</p>
Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21652.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1522401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10647.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1522402  
Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 PM

RCTankNoob

See that flattened silver can-shape above the left-hand control-stick's right-hand fastening point? THATS what a frequency crystal is usually shaped like, and yours appears to be soldered in, not interchangable.

And the Warranty means " You open it up, no more Warranty " BUT... if ya put it back together neatly, and don't tell them, they may just replace one, or possibly both, of the oddly-acting units. (be sure they are clean, m'k?)

Then there is the odd chance someone on the board can swap you some parts to get you two separate units. ANYONE?

Worst case, you have one runner, and one set of spares, right?

WhiteWolf
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 PM

Whitewolf McBride,

I appreciate the reply. I figured out where the crystal was by checking the transmitter again where I noticed the frequency stamped on the side of it. I have one at 27.145 MHz and one at 40.680 MHz.

I haven't taken the tanks apart because like you said, "you open it up - no warranty".

I did turn the tanks and transmitters on again so that I could document the problems with them when I call BananaHobby tomorrow.That's when the bizarre stuff started happening.

Not only does the 27 MHz transmitter operate both tanks most of the time but the 27 MHz tank operates by itself even when both transmitters are turned OFF and the tank switch is turned ON. Strange. It appears to have a short or maybe it is picking up 40 MHz interference from somewhere.

It will shift it's position forward and backward and rotate itself usually to the left. The turret also shifts back and forth. The movements are short as if the tank is getting a quick signal. There is no sustained motion, only a series of quick motions with no apparent stimulus from any controller.

The 40 MHz tank does not always respond to the 27 MHz transmitter. It takes a minute for it to start responding so that I can move the 27 MHz tank forward a foot or so before the 40 MHz tank starts to mimic it's motions but once it starts it mimics exactly what the other tank is doing.

I also noticed another problem with the 27 MHz tank related to poor build quality. The turret would not rotate more than about 15 degrees before the rear of the turret would start to drag on the rear of the tank. I did not see this happening at all on the 40 MHz tank so I looked closely at the two to see if there were noticeable differences. I found the problem. Obviously the tank manufacturer knew that this was an issue and they made a fix for it. The 40 MHz tank has a post installed that keeps the turret in a fairly stable horizontal configuration. The 27 MHz tank does not have this and it drags as a result. I have added a couple of pics to illustrate this.

Junk. I should have done a lot more research before ordering anything.

I really should have sent these things back right after receiving them. As soon as I took the first one out of the box and started putting it together I noticed that, though it is an airsoft tank, it would never be able to shoot anything until the barrel extension was cleared of the molding sprue. There was a veritable forest of sprue inside the barrel that would have blocked any BB that was fired. I found that and cleared it from both barrels. Then I just charged the batteries and put them away for the birthday party. Mistake.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89098.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1522616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69540.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1522617  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the unfortunate thing about these "toy"grade" RC vehicles. They work if your lucky like toys. We have enough of our own problems with QC on the models we spend quite a few more dollars on and they are supposed to be a level slightly above toy grade. It unfortunately just goes too show you get what you pay for. Unless the seller is willing too take them back i don't know that there is much you can do. AND there is NO guarantee that the same thing wont happen again. The pickers in the ware house sure aren't going to take the time to see if they can find 2 that are on different frequencies.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Panther G,</p>

</p>

Thanks for the info. I have just now sent an RMA request to them and will see how the return/refund process goes with them.</p>

I see how this can be a pretty expensive hobby as I scanned the classifieds here looking for other tanks. Some of them are too rich for me to consider for something that will be just a kid's toy. The cool factor is definitely there though since I remember building models as a kid and then having wars with them amongst my siblings and cousins. </p>

</p>

We destroyed many a plastic model tank, ship, plane, etc. with BB guns back then. We bought all of them too though so nobody lost anything but us and some of us gained bragging rights after the battle. Those were the days.</p>

Cheers.</p>
Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM

RCTankNoob

Here's an idea... did you pay for 'em with a credit card? If so, put a complaint thru the card company. they often will revoke a charge if the company does not honor their warranty.

Its worth a shot if you used plastic... and even PayPal has a 3 month complaint limit.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM

WhiteWolf McBride,

I don't think that I will have to do that. I just got off the phone with BananaHobby support and they have issued an RMA number for a refund of the charges. I should be getting the return instructions by email shortly.

I had considered contacting the credit card company to dispute the charge and document the problem to them. If things still don't work out I have that option available.

Right now, after I emailed their support with photos and a short video documenting the problems described here I have to say that they are working with me very well. I have no complaints about BananaHobby since the order was made and delivered on the schedule described when I purchased the items. Then when they took a look at the evidence for the return and refund, instead of arguing about it or trying to sell me on something else they gave an approval for a return for refund. It was totally worth the 20 minutes spent on hold waiting for a support person.

I think that is how companies should operate and I am happy so far with my experience with them. It is unfortunate that the product they sold me was defective but that is not entirely their fault. I will be looking around for replacement tanks and will not rule out buying from them when I make my choice for replacements.

Now I just need to get the RMA email and wait for the refund...

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm sounds like you have an extremely high amount of RF interference in the 27mhz band.
There is probably something close by putting alot of noise out in that frequency spectrum (only issue with AM radio gear )
IMO it doesn't sound like a tank defect though.
Well only issue is the tank probably accepts a wide band of the 27mhz frequencies due to not being a very highly tuned radio system.

When I was a kid I used to have this issue with TyCo RC's that were 27mhz, and the 49mhz were always fine.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 PM

SyCo_VeNoM,

I considered the possibility that the 27 MHz tank was moving due to RF interference from outside the house. It is possible because I live next to a highway and this is between CB channels 15 and 16 at 27.145 MHz. If there is any slop in the chip then I will be plagued by the interference.

Since that wasn't the only problem with that tank - it also had the turret rotation problem - I am sending it back. I have them boxed up now to go back west.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you can get a WSN IR set of tanks for just around 100.00 dollars. that is a Tiger and a Russian T-34/85 so thats not too bad. I think they are 1:24 scale but it is still a bargain. The big stuff like you have does not come in our price ranges. They are either Toys or VERY HIGH DOLLAR Kit builds that can run in the thousands. i think your kids would rather have something smaller that works well and they can actually battle with than just a"Big Tank' The 1:12 scale is just not out there except for the brand tank you have. They are cool but there is not much as far as support or partsavailabilityfor repairs. Even Vs brand tanks are Awesome. They are 1:24 scale but have Airsoft and IR and have some of the best actuall model tanks out there. Modern and WWII stuff. They are great and they have parts galore and a new 2.4 gHz radio system planned for the near future. i think that is the way to go. Here, Bigger is not always Better"