Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 HL Tiger I & 3:1 Gearboxes >

HL Tiger I & 3:1 Gearboxes

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Tiger I & 3:1 Gearboxes

Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HL Tiger I & 3:1 Gearboxes

I have a question about the HLTiger I.

How is the speed with the 3:1 gearboxes?

The reason I ask is I have heard some comments that is is too slow.

I am asking because I am considering buying one and operating it with the stock suspension and plastic tracks, my interest in the 3:1 is primarilly related to achieving a more scale performance, if it is too slow, then I won't bother with it.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HL Tiger I & 3:1 Gearboxes

just buy taimiya or asian tam gear box, if it is too fast(as usual), you just have to tune it down with less acceleration.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I fitted the Mato brass gearboxes (asiatam clones) in one of my Tiger I's with a stock chassis and plastic tracks like yours. We clocked it at ever so slightly more than the correct speed according to the scale speed charts published by RCACN when the Detroit club did our testing at the start of the year.
They are not suitable for tanks with smaller drive sprockets as they will be way too slow, (M41 & M26 were tested - I have RCCommands steel 3:1's in mine, and they still aren't as fast as the rules allow for...) but for a Tiger (24mph on a good day!) they are on the money.

HTH
Mart
Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Hey Glen

I have an HL Tiger l with the 3:1 gear box and I think the speed is fine. There not suppose to be fast It's a WWll Tank a 45T race car

If you want speed buy an RC10 and put a gun on it LOL
Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Ex_Pat_Tanker

I fitted the Mato brass gearboxes (asiatam clones) in one of my Tiger I's with a stock chassis and plastic tracks like yours. We clocked it at ever so slightly more than the correct speed according to the scale speed charts published by RCACN when the Detroit club did our testing at the start of the year.
I should add that the Tiger was running with an RX-14 board, if you fit El-Mod or Tamiya electronics you results may vary... (Tamiya electronics will be considerably quicker!)
Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks, guys.

ORIGINAL: Jaws01

Hey Glen

I have an HL Tiger l with the 3:1 gear box and I think the speed is fine. There not suppose to be fast It's a WWll Tank a 45T race car

If you want speed buy an RC10 and put a gun on it LOL
I know what you mean, it was a 56 ton tank, give or take a ton and I believe they handled the real one'swith care because of the consequences of a breakdown in hostile settings.

Being a 58 year old geezer, I agree totally on the tank speed thing,I am more interested inSCALE speed, not SPEED Looks like a 3:1 will be the ticket.

Actually, I don't have the Tiger I, yet but I expect one will follow me home from the Toronto Hobby show on Nov. 5 or 6, I am just planning ahead.. I hope to have my HLPanther make over (Hermann Goering Div., Poland, 1944) done by then, then the next project will be myStug, Pz. IV F2, or, the Tiger I. So many tanks, so little time.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Yes, you mentioned scale speed. According to the Otto Carius'sTiger In theMud, Tiger can drive 40km/h.

Actually, Tiger I is not slowerthan panzer III. (http://www.alanhamby.com/transmission.shtml)

<table border="2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5"> <tbody> <tr> <td align="center" style="background-color: darkslategray">Model</td> <td align="center" style="background-color: darkslategray">On-road Speed</td> <td align="center" style="background-color: darkslategray">Off-road Speed</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Panzer III</td> <td align="center">40 km/h</td> <td align="center">18 km/h</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Panzer IV</td> <td align="center">40 km/h</td> <td align="center">20 km/h</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Tiger I</td> <td align="center">38 km/h</td> <td align="center">20 km/h</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">Panther</td> <td align="center">46 km/h</td> <td align="center">24 km/h</td> </tr> </tbody></table></p>
3:1 gear is too slow to show the real speed the tiger should have.

Another thing is thequality, itseems there are a lot ofpersons complain the quality of the Mato3:1 gear...
Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 PM

The Mato 3:1 can be made serviceable 95% of the time if you take the time to straighten the frames, check, tighten and thread lock the shaft grub screws, and shim the first shaft to keep it aligned. The Asiatam gears are identical, but more difficult to obtain in the US in my experience.
The Asiatams are immune from manufacturing defects either, so you'd best get used to the idea of checking your gearboxes and running them in, no matter which way you go.

As for the speed, my Tiger worked out at 26 mph with the Mato gearboxes, 40kph = 24.8 mph. The RCACN combat rules allow for a 2 mph over speed.

I'm basing my observations on owning ~10 sets of Mato (1 scrap gearbox due to a stripped final drive gear grub screw) and ~6 sets of Asiatam (1 gearbox frame needing adjustment to stop it from binding).
Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Ex Pat Tanker

Thanks, that's interesting info.

you'd best get used to the idea of checking your gearboxes and running them in, no matter which way you go.
Yeah, that's standard operating procedure for me.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are not suitable for tanks with smaller drive sprockets as they will be way too slow, (M41 & M26 were tested - I have RCCommands steel 3:1's in mine, and they still aren't as fast as the rules allow for...) but for a Tiger (24mph on a good day!) they are on the money.

HTH
Mart
Get a set of 480s. That should bring the speed of the 3:1s up to par for the M41 and M26. That's what I have for my M41. One of these days I'll get around to finishing my upgrades and let you know how it goes.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: hulu

Yes, you mentioned scale speed. According to the Otto Carius's Tiger In the Mud, Tiger can drive 40km/h.

Actually, Tiger I is not slower than panzer III. (http://www.alanhamby.com/transmission.shtml)

<table border=''2'' cellspacing=''0'' cellpadding=''5''> <tbody> <tr> <td align=''center'' style=''background-color: darkslategray''>Model</td> <td align=''center'' style=''background-color: darkslategray''>On-road Speed</td> <td align=''center'' style=''background-color: darkslategray''>Off-road Speed</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''left''>Panzer III</td> <td align=''center''>40 km/h</td> <td align=''center''>18 km/h</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''left''>Panzer IV</td> <td align=''center''>40 km/h</td> <td align=''center''>20 km/h</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''left''>Tiger I</td> <td align=''center''>38 km/h</td> <td align=''center''>20 km/h</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=''left''>Panther</td> <td align=''center''>46 km/h</td> <td align=''center''>24 km/h</td> </tr> </tbody></table></p>
3:1 gear is too slow to show the real speed the tiger should have.

Another thing is the quality, it seems there are a lot of persons complain the quality of the Mato 3:1 gear...

Hulu,
You are correct, your chart is correct as is ex pat tanker. Conversion from KPH to MPH, just multiply .6 X KPH = MPH. ie: .6 X 100KPH = 60 MPH plus or minus a klick or two. Gets you close enough in Europe to keep from getting a ticket LOL.

Jim
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have four sets of MAto boxes, only the last set presented a problem. I agree with Ex pat Tanker. You should check every gearbox and tighten every set screw. IF a set screw works loose, a shaft can move out of its bearing, start to wobble and grind up your gears in no time. I now back out the set screws, use some blue thread lock and reinstall them to prevent this from happening.

I did pick up a 3:1 set of gears from Welsh dragon models. These follow the Heng Long design with the added gear. Very well done with bearings instead of bushings. They seem rock solid and would be a direct bolt in for the Tiger.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM

I will be at the hobby show and I mite walk out with 1 or 2 tanks and parts. 10 tanks 9 projects and still working on them. Now I'm building a Tiger for a freind that's starting in the hobby. He got the Tiger last week and now he wants another one a Pershing with tracks. Mato will at booth 509-510 down by the Tamiya RC track.

Made some changes to me Tiger l and the Mato gear box mounting.. Measure the motor mounts and where the gear boxes sit, Level off the hull, make a new deck the same measurements of the motor mounts, the gear boxes are screwed and siliconed in place.

Cheers
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49940.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1522914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55461.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1522915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23516.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1522916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34280.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1522917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37628.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1522918  
Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: YHR
I did pick up a 3:1 set of gears from Welsh dragon models. These follow the Heng Long design with the added gear. Very well done with bearings instead of bushings. They seem rock solid and would be a direct bolt in for the Tiger.
What are the gears for those boxes made of? They looked like the standard HL metal gear boxes (white metal) with a brass gear added. I wonder how the brass-on-white metal would hold up.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you are correct. I am not sure how they will last. I just got them and I haven't put them in anything yet, so I have no expereince with how they will hold up. Everything is solid and tight iwth no slop, so I am hopeful that translates in to long trouble free running.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 PM

I ordered my HL Tiger with the 3:1 upgrade (from Tankzone), along with nicely painted metal tracks, and it performs very well. Speed is easily controllable with the stock radio gear.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 PM

A couple of years ago I made a gearbox calculator on an excel spreadsheet. It may still be available on other tanker websites or send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.