Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

6mm paintballs?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:13 AM
kotori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6mm paintballs?

Hi all,

what is the current status of 6mm paintballs for RC tank use? Last I checked was several years ago, when a few people were experimenting with them using heavily upgraded cannons. Do 6mm paintballs still require high-velocity cannons to break reliably? If so, are there commercial places where I can buy sufficiently powerful cannons? Keep in mind that I am expecting battle ranges of 0 to 6 feet

The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is building a number of 1:48 scale ACW ironclads for RC combat, and was intrigued by the idea of using paintballs. Unfortunately most ironclads' hull shapes do not work well with our usual style of balsa armor and steel ball bearings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvugEmj3pO0
Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 6mm paintballs?

Last time I tried them they were still lame. They burst more in my tank, than on the target. My airsoft gun in HL stock.

Boy, you ship guys make us tankers look like wimps in battle. I was impressed.

French, cheese eating surrender monkey? LOL

RAMMING SPEED!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 AM
YHR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hade a set of Plans to build a IJN Mogomi heavy cruiser for combat, but I never went ahead with the idea. Seeing that video make sour RC tank battles seem pretty safe. I am getting too old to be diving to collect my model. I think I'll stay where it is dry.

Great video, and I bet that is an adreneline rush as you try to stay afloat!!!!!!!.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Perry S.

I have had good luck with flying colors paint balls in a stock VS gun. Stock HL guns don't have near the power. Stay away from the tight bore barrels though. It doesn't hurt to inspect each bb first. And remember, if you get a
isfire don't just keep firing.

Perry
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 PM
kotori

Ahoy there, Perry! Thanks for the info. Where might I get stock VS guns? Also, how often do you get misfires, and how bad is it if you do keep firing? Keep in mind that most civil war ironclads had a three-gun or larger broadside, and even the USS Monitor had a two-gun turret.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Perry S.

Hello my flotationally challenged friend. I get mine from Toyeast. Get the Abrams guns as they seem to be the best performers due to their shorter barrels. They are cheap enough to get a few extras. They need a hopper installed above the gun but I think even the Monitor has enough headroom. I love those old ironclads.
Usually a misfire means you didn't load a bb or you have a jam. The issue with firing after a jam is that you are sure to break the bb's inside. Then the dripping starts......
Wish I could say they will work flawless every time but that's just not the case. Cruel fact is that reliable 6mm airsoft paintball guns in this package size just don't exist. Might just be that you have to pull up alongside with the Arizona and send it to the bottom for a thorough rinsing.

Perry
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Capt.Canuck

ORIGINAL: kotori

Hi all,

what is the current status of 6mm paintballs for RC tank use? Last I checked was several years ago, when a few people were experimenting with them using heavily upgraded cannons. Do 6mm paintballs still require high-velocity cannons to break reliably? If so, are there commercial places where I can buy sufficiently powerful cannons? Keep in mind that I am expecting battle ranges of 0 to 6 feet

The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is building a number of 1:48 scale ACW ironclads for RC combat, and was intrigued by the idea of using paintballs. Unfortunately most ironclads' hull shapes do not work well with our usual style of balsa armor and steel ball bearings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvugEmj3pO0
Ha, that looks like a ton of fun. Hats off to you guys who have the cohones to put all that time into the build and still be able to go to war like that. Showed it to my son and he agreed it looks like awesome fun.