Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

In Praise of HengLong Tanks

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

In Praise of HengLong Tanks

Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 AM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: In Praise of HengLong Tanks

Glen,
If your going to upgrade your Tiger 1's airsoft, can you take some pics of the process for the more timid tankers?

Thanks and great looking Panther.

Jim
Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

Glen,
If your going to upgrade your Tiger 1's airsoft, can you take some pics of the process for the more timid tankers?

Jim
I can try to do something about it with some pictures. None of this is my own work, I have to credit TJM for it, but I can be a quick study when I want to be and took notes. I am not expert on this, I am sure if I put something out there, others will have good suggestions on improovements.

It is something that 1st hand instruction is best for, pictures are good, written instructions are marginal for most of us, IMHO.

My Tiger I's gun is pretty good "out of the box" which is one reason why I won't be upgrading it. The other reason is I cracked the casing on the gun unit (I should have known better ),so it is basically glued together, it still works fine but I will run it until it drops then install a new one.

I want to pick up a few more gun units to modify as spares but thats a ways away.

I have enough bits and pieces that I think I can use them in a pictorial. This may take a day or twio sinceI am working on the Tiger and have a few other distractions.

Some thoughts;

- If I already have a working gun, I would get some spares to upgrade, i see some opportunity to mess up and you don't want to write-off your only gun.

- IMHO, there is a fine line as to how much you over-stress a gun with a stronger spring and spacers, lots of power is great but the more force it takes to operate it, the more stress is placed on the little motor and gears, shortening theire operational life.

I will put something out there in the next few days, I might start its own thread, rather than put it here.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Ex_Pat_Tanker

Yep, love them or loath them, they have made this hobby accessible to many more people than Tamiya would have done on their own - and without them we wouldn't have El-Mod or Darkith's units as alternatives to get involved in the IR battling side of things.

On the down side, their cheap wares have caused my addiction to spiral out of control [&:]:

DAMN YOU HENG LONG!!!! SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME BECOME!!! [:@]

*ahem*
Just kidding Heng Long: Please release a Matilda III, Merkava IV, Cromwell, Achilles IIc, Valentine IX and Crusader III, and a T26 and BT7 and, erm, well... all the other stuff on our wish lists really...?

Mart
My wife needs to see this photo! No wait, she must NEVER see this photo what the heck was I thinking?!?!?!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Darksheer

ORIGINAL: YHR

Is this the same Panther. I was in Bovington a couple of years ago, and took this picutre of the Panther they had. Same tank?????
yup same tank i was there about 6 weeks ago and the little pate on the hull is plaque stating who built it

which in this tanks case was
"823 ARMD Troop workshop
reme NO 8
1945"

photo of little plate avaliable for the low cost of 29.99 and includes a set of ginsu steak knives and a miracle juicer
Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM
candycab

Great post Eggman I'm rather new to HL Tanks as well and really enjoying a PIII for the time being and a Tiger in the near future

Looking at the Tanks in this thread and man do my paint skills blow, did a wash on mine with Rust Oxide and Flat Black Primers and it got sorta Purple and looked like Barney should be driving it A few Green Scour pads later and its finally beginning look aged and raggedy but nowhere near the quality I see here in the forum.  

Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Eggman1965

ORIGINAL: candycab

Great post Eggman I'm rather new to HL Tanks as well and really enjoying a PIII for the time being and a Tiger in the near future

Looking at the Tanks in this thread and man do my paint skills blow, did a wash on mine with Rust Oxide and Flat Black Primers and it got sorta Purple and looked like Barney should be driving it A few Green Scour pads later and its finally beginning look aged and raggedy but nowhere near the quality I see here in the forum.

You apparently have not seen an example of my painting "skills". WARNING: The following camouflage scheme may be offensive to certain viewers:

Old 11-28-2010, 01:30 PM
candycab

ORIGINAL: Eggman1965

ORIGINAL: candycab

You apparently have not seen an example of my painting "skills". WARNING: The following camoflage scheme may be offensive to certain viewers:

LOL

Behold .... The Barney Mobile ! I will try and get some current non Purple pics up up too.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:35 PM
gigantohawk

Hi YHR,
Looking at the damage on the front mudguards of the Panther in your pic and my first pic. I would say they are the same tank, in a different colour scheme of course.
The Panther is in the new main hall at Bovington now.

All the best,

Nick.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:44 PM
BIGMIG

Hello candycab,

I think the tank looks pretty good and like the background in the pictures.Nothing wrong with one that is different from all the rest.

BIGMIG
Old 11-28-2010, 04:29 PM
candycab

Thanks BIGMIG 

I had no idea how it was going to look when I started and I'm still having fun experimenting. 

I'M waiting for my complete Metal running gear to arrive so I can spray and grind on the tub, wheels etc before it all goes back together. I ground probably 90% of the wash off with 3M pads so now it has a sort of worn/faded Gray patina to it.   

I figure it's easy to go back to the "Barney Tank" look though  

Not real sure how to explain the look but at one point it was looking sort of like an antique medium dark wrought iron color that was pretty cool. I should have taken pics :/ different is usually a good fit for me

I will break out the camera tomorrow and get some current pics outside while/if the sun is out.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Glen B

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

Glen,

Jim
As per my PM, I gave it its own thread; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10165445/tm.htm
Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Captain Action

Hay Ex pat tanker you got some fleet of tanks there. I have just one of my tanks (broken) sitting in front of the TV and the girl friend gives me lip about being a big kid.
That why my Toy Room is locked !!! More tanks less lip !! Now go make me a pie woman !! Ho.. that how may tank go broken in the first place...
Anyhow nice tractor too Ex pat !!
Im going to buy a pie now.... and see if I can find a Couger to go with my Tigers..
Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Its a slippery slope:

You buy one because its cheap enough to throw it away if you don't like it (well, maybe not so much these days - but back when I got hooked the PanTiger could be had for $55 and even the Bulldog for less than $100), then you buy another so your friends can join in driving them around and plinking away at each other with the airsoft gun.

Then you find that there is IR 'laser tag' equipment available, so that increases the cool factor and makes you buy more...

Then you discover there are aftermarket parts to convert your tank into something unique from all the others on the forums...

Then you find a club near you, so you move onto the more expensive electronics that allow you to get out of the crowded 27MHz frequency band. You also realise you need lower ratio gearboxes to avoid your tank turning into a pillbox after 2 hits...
(Even worse - you join yet another club on another continent, and have to station tanks 'over there' as well, because you can't turn up to a club meeting empty handed!)

Then you somehow wind up on the 'Allied Team' of your club, despite having an overwhelming number of German Tanks - so obviously you now need to go a buy a bunch of Allied tanks too...

And that's how you end up with ~40 of the bloody things! [:@]
Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

ExPattanker, I was afraid of this....I am doomed to continue buying, upgrading, and building and spending until I am begging one of my club members for a place to sleep...Oh boy...this hobby is going to cause me big trouble in the future! LOL

Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

ExPattanker, I was afraid of this....I am doomed to continue buying, upgrading, and building and spending until I am begging one of my club members for a place to sleep...Oh boy...this hobby is going to cause me big trouble in the future! LOL

RUN! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

ROFL!!!!!!!! I fear it is too late for me...You don't know the power of the dark side....
Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Candycab

Some light washes of gray, and a dusting with an airbrush can take away that purplish hue. You might want to aplpy a winter whitewash over that. I think if you did, you might be pleasantly surprised how good it would look. The shade is just a little off, but that could be just your photo lighting as well.

Tank looks good and "barney" can easily be toned down.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
candycab

ORIGINAL: YHR

Candycab

Some light washes of gray, and a dusting with an airbrush can take away that purplish hue. You might want to apply a winter whitewash over that. I think if you did, you might be pleasantly surprised how good it would look. The shade is just a little off, but that could be just your photo lighting as well.

Tank looks good and "barney" can easily be toned down.

Never thought of that .. Thanks

I may respray it over the next week or so and see what I can come up with. It did have a Purple tinge to it but it wasn't as bad as it came out in the pics. In reality what looks Blue is still the standard Gray color. Probably paint it weather permitting as its been freezing cold here at night and in the 40's F most days. I have no garage etc so the yard is my spray booth.

As you can see bye the date on pics I haven't fooled with the camera at all, figured out its the flash overexposing the image. Checkout the Blue picks I took in the shade while shooting the others.

I will keep you guys posted on my progress.Here's a boatload of current pics. I kinda like it as it is now but I'm not sure yet ? looks kinda plain now. I welcome any feedback
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM
jondonnis

Hi,

New here and totally new to RCand RCTanks. In the UK and have ordered theTiger I 1:16 from Maplin, the smokeless version as it's cheaper and to see if I enjoy it all.It's on offer at the moment for only £59 and with the voucher discount it was £55. Won't get any in stock for 30 days though

I'd like to weather it up paint wise but know it will kill the warranty on it. I have some camo badge that I'll wrap round the barrel so give it some camo effect and maybe stick some old grass cuttings in that or something.

Came across this forum via Google. Looks good.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would stay away for the Heng long without a smoker. You need the smoke and sound. For the few extra dollars the electronics are worth it. THe smoker will be useless with in the first hour, but that is OK. You get way better speed control, and have the option to upgrade with a Darktih package for momentum and IR battling at a later date.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Hi there

Welcome to Tankaholics Anonymous - my name is Martin, and I haven't bought a tank since Saturday...

YHR is correct - the smoke and sound version is a better buy, as just upgrading the 'non' version to the same standard costs way more than the difference. The smoker is pants and almost all of us throw it away as soon as we open the box, and to be honest the sounds aren't great either, BUT its still cheaper than diving in to the likes of Tamiya and El-Mod for a first tank. If they have the smoke and sound for 10 to 15 quid extra, then I would recommend you use the 'cooling off period' in the UK Distance Selling Regulations as a lever to persuade Maplins to switch the order over before they ship it. If anything else the electronics in the Smoke and sound version should be more robust than the 'non' version (tho I haven't bought one in a long while, so I can't say for sure if the 'Non' boards have kept pace with the revisions to the Rx-14 and Rx-18 boards - anyone here know?).

There is a 1/16 scale club in the UK if you want to get involved - check my last post in the clubs sticky thread if you are interested. Having a Infra Red 'laser tag' battle system add-on is not a necessity to join in - but most guys who have been to a club meeting usually end up buying a set after they have seen them in action . The 'Darkith' package YHR refers to is the most popular entry point IR battle system for new guys coming into the hobby (especially in the UK where Tamiya DMD and MFU part prices are generally higher) and will only work with the electronics found in a 'smoke and sound' Heng Long, not the 'non' version.

Hope this helps,
Mart
Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Eggman1965

Hi, I'm Mike and I just bought another tank today. I used to enjoy my family, work and sunshine. Now I operate tanks and read tank related news and post on tank forums.

I'm in need of an intervention... But not before I buy my first Tamiya!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

You don't need an intervention, just a daylight bulb to illuminate your workbench and paint booth... [8D]

What is this 'sunshine' that you speak of anyway...? [X(]
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
jondonnis

Thanks.  This will be the first tank and may not buy more.  I get bored easily. Well now not sure what to do.  Because the local, reliable model shop also sells these.  However, they sell them at a higher price but also sell reconditioned Tiger I tanks for about £41.  I asked wants been done to them (know nothing of the inner workings etc).  They said they are the smoke and sound versions that other shops have sent them, because they were returned.  They then have an electronics company look them over.  They then remove the smoke and sound and sell them as plain sound and smokeless versions.  Was tempted to get that one as it's local.  However, for something that is essentially second hand and had the guts ripped out of it, I think they are still charging to much (but I could be wrong).

Might stick with the Maplin one for now.  They don't have the sound version though.  They did manage to cock the order up and it's taken 3-4 calls to get them to sort it.  Had something else on ordered.  Called them to cancel that.  The tank order I'd put through came in to their system while I was on the phone.  When I checked back later the idiot and randomly decided to cancel that as well.  Just as the tank stock had come in.

Local model shop mentioned above has the smoke and sound version, a new one, not reconditioned, for £86.99 is that cheap?

Have to call Maplin to cancel any orders of theirs which is really annoying.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Eggman1965

Have you tried:http://matomart.com/product.php?c=1000001

This is the MatoMart International website. How do the prices compare to your local dealer?

MIke

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.