Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tanks in snow...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Tanks in snow...

Many of us live in places where Winter brings snow for some of the year. I would be interested to hear stories of snow adventures, learn tricks to drive in snow better, find out what tanks do better than others, and ask questions about some of the tanks on my shopping list. I also would like to see pictures posted of tanks being driven in snow.A mud / snow mix is good too. Winter tanking is enough diffrent from summer tanking that it would be fun and enlightening to share ideas, picturesand stores.

While the instructions for these tanks say not to use them in snow, they do work well in snow if you are careful. I get snow 6 months a year so I drive my tanks in snow almost as much as on dirt. I have winterketten tracks for my stug and I switch them out every 6 months like snow tires. I also put foil duct tape over that crazy big gap between the upper and lower hull sections and paint " mud " to hide it. It's nice that my Jagd and Tiger do not have the big gap. In spring, I remove the tape to allow better cooling and put the standard tracks back on. It's becomeone of my "getting ready for winter" chores.

I will start with a tip and a question.

Tip: Cold snow and cold tracks are the secret to keeping ice from building up in your sprockets and road wheeles, pre-cool your tank outside before you drive it to have less ice buildup. Keep the battery inside and warm till you are ready to go, then put it in the cold tank, and drive! My best tanking is between 20 and 25 deg. F ( -4 to -6C ).

Q: The Tamiya Leopard has rubber on the tracks. How does the Leo do in snow? How does it compare to a Panther with all metal tracks?

Some pix;
Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tanks in snow...

Apparently your tank is all ready for the snow too!!! those tracks should keep you out of trouble. I am waiting to try my rather heavy tauchpanzer with winterketten tracks this winter.
I have not seen the Leo run in snow, but my 16 lbs. Tiger 1 does just fine!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Pah co chu puk

While I do get stuck with the winterkettens on, I get stuck much less. The same is true for my truck with snow chains, LOL. I have done tests with my pzk III with stock metal tracks aganst my stug with the winterkettens, and the stug runs circles around the pzk. They do much better on side hills too.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

LOL! Those pics are great brother. i guess I'll be testing mine soon enough. Do you have any other upgrades to that Stug? My PZIII has the 400's with 3:1 boxes and elmod, so hopefully it handles the snow pretty well.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:04 AM
RSEA

No snow in Phoenix to play in. The last time I recall any snow accumulation here was in November 1996.. A dusting basically and it completely melted away within less than 24 hours.

The Stug looks cool in the snow and well, it actually would be pretty cool temperature wise too haha.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 AM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Asiatam Panzer III with standard metal tracks makes it about 3ft before getting high-centered in the snow. [:@]

Thankfully my Panther and KV-1 perform like champions if I put them on ice for awhile before running. This is what happens when you let a warm tank out to play in the snow:

Old 11-29-2010, 02:10 AM
thebronze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let My Tiger sit outside for an hr... Broke a metal track link in about 3 ft.... PO'd
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Pah co chu puk

The stug, and all my other tanks have 3:1 gears and metal tracks and sprockets. All the road wheeles etc are stock.

I broke plastic tracks in the snow so often that I only run metal tracks now. Breaking metal tracks, sounds like ice buildup. Ice can break anything.

If the snow is too soft I make "winter roads" by pulling a snow shovel behind me as I walk. I put a iron weight in the shovel and it compacts the road and covers my tracks as I go.

I think snow offers the best medium for photographing these tanks because snow hides all those out of scale plants in the background.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is an awesome looking stug.

Change the picture to Black and white and we would be hard pressed to know if it was real or not.

Bronze

Your area doesn't get snow. It gets slush Unfortunatley that is the worst for these tanks. It just packs up in the tracks, the moisture squeezes out, and you get iced up.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Pah co chu puk

Thanks, it's my favorite tank in snow, the light weight and wide winterketten tracks allow it to go where my other tanks flounder. I got a Jagd this year, haven't used it in snow yet cause I stripped the gears, but I look forward to giving it a try. It's 3:1 gears are comming from Phil soon.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Pah co chu puk

YHR is right, slush is disaster for the tracks, cold, hard, sun crust is the best. Powder is fun when it's not too deep. I love running my tanks over crusted snow drifts. I NEVER drive my tank in slush, -4C at least.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
YHR

The 3:1 gears make a big difference. Also as you clearly stated, you must pre chill these tanks, otherwise you won't go far. I 've got video of mine plowing snow with no isses. The conditions however have to be right. Wet heavy snow is always going to be a problem for these tanks, much as it was for the real ones..
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Capt.Canuck

That looks like fun for sure, and good tips. [sm=thumbup.gif] Tank looks great, love the stance of the Stug!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

Many of us live in places where Winter brings snow for some of the year. I would be interested to hear stories of snow adventures, learn tricks to drive in snow better, find out what tanks do better than others, and ask questions about some of the tanks on my shopping list. I also would like to see pictures posted of tanks being driven in snow. A mud / snow mix is good too. Winter tanking is enough diffrent from summer tanking that it would be fun and enlightening to share ideas, pictures and stores.

While the instructions for these tanks say not to use them in snow, they do work well in snow if you are careful. I get snow 6 months a year so I drive my tanks in snow almost as much as on dirt. I have winterketten tracks for my stug and I switch them out every 6 months like snow tires. I also put foil duct tape over that crazy big gap between the upper and lower hull sections and paint '' mud '' to hide it. It's nice that my Jagd and Tiger do not have the big gap. In spring, I remove the tape to allow better cooling and put the standard tracks back on. It's become one of my ''getting ready for winter'' chores.

I will start with a tip and a question.

Tip: Cold snow and cold tracks are the secret to keeping ice from building up in your sprockets and road wheeles, pre-cool your tank outside before you drive it to have less ice buildup. Keep the battery inside and warm till you are ready to go, then put it in the cold tank, and drive! My best tanking is between 20 and 25 deg. F ( -4 to -6C ).

Q: The Tamiya Leopard has rubber on the tracks. How does the Leo do in snow? How does it compare to a Panther with all metal tracks?

Some pix;

That second pic looks fantastic. Like it's on a real snow covered road and the track imprints after are just cool.

Jim
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

what also works very well if you don't mind doing so you get the light silicone spray oil and spray the tracks andd in and around the road wheels it makes the snow fall off and not stick to anything... It don't get to oily because after you use it in the snow a bit it kind of thins out and disapears... I also used the 3and 1 professional dry lube it's flat and clear so you don't see nothing but it's very water proof so no snow sticks also.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Pah co chu puk

Good tip! I never thought of that!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Spitvalve

That's a nice effect making the winter road with the shovel and it produces a realistic scene. I've only ever used my PZIII on an ice crust with a light skiff of snow on it. I can't see it doing well in anything much deeper.

Mike.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Panther G

Yeah, that really is a great looking Stug. Those tracks look very cool. I actually do like the Ostketten tracks also. I think that i will go that route when i buy a Stug next year. Yes, I still do love my HL tanks. My PzIII is one of my favorite tanks. Just can't decide just how i want to modify it. I didn't say upgrade for the reason that I dont think the PzIII or Stug really need much as far as upgrades. They are both very sturdy untouched. Buy I do like the torque from the 3:1's.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Pah co chu puk

Thanks, that's a real complament from guys like you all.
I like the ostketten tracks too, but the budget can only be streached a little each month. My goal is to have the stug in winterketten and the pzk III in ostketten. My pzk is the non S&S version so first I want to get a new one with S&S, then invest in somepaint and goodies for it.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 AM
thebronze

ORIGINAL: YHR
Bronze

Your area doesn't get snow. It gets slush Unfortunatley that is the worst for these tanks. It just packs up in the tracks, the moisture squeezes out, and you get iced up.

Funny... Looks like snow to Me.... My car on the same day

Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 AM
YHR

Looks like snow to me as well. What is the temperature though. I see green leaves on the bushes still.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50664.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1528677  
Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

We here in Southern Michigan are getting are first real measurable snow of the season today .

Jimmy
Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Pah co chu puk

That snow looks wet and sticky to me, say about -1C? The way it sticks to the side of your car tells me it will stick to the tracks on a tank. You want everything cold enough that the snow is dry and not sticky. After that storm passed the temp. should have dropped and crusted your snowpack improving the conditions.

YHR, your snow looks deep and soft, like mine before the sun hits it. Pull a snowshovel and you can copmact that stuff enough to drive on. I have driven tanks in snow like that ( 3 ft + )where I had to wear snowshoes to keep up with my tanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Pah co chu puk

This is my high tech, winter road maker. The iron weight is from the D&RGW RR, thank you, and it will compact soft snow enough that tanks can operate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk26631.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1528699   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb90874.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1528700  
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
1sgt

Wow!!! That's one big pic, or is the shovel just huge?

Jim LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.