Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

metal vs plastic tracks

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 AM
roadcarver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal vs plastic tracks

How is the life of the plastic tracks that comes with the HL tanks? My HL had a metal upgrade when I bought it from ebay so I didn't install the plastic tracks.

For anyone who have a Tamiya Sherman (for example) that has the plastic tracks, do you notice much wear when it is run on concrete?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: metal vs plastic tracks

I have noticed wear on my Tamiya Sherman when running on concrete.

As for Metal Tracks, I am not a big fan, mind you my only experience has been with an HL Tiger.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 AM
roadcarver

What's your 'beef' with metal tracks? I'm assuming weight and less running time?

Which Sherman kit do you have from Tamiya? I'm really contemplating on getting one. There's one on eBay being flogged for $469 USD + 50 shipping.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Fireman Tim

The Heng Long Tiger is notorious for tracks coming off the idler. When my HL Tiger had plastics, it never happened, only when I upgraded to metal did it become a problem.

I bought the 105 Sherman, swapped the turret with a MATO sherman, added one of Nicks barrels, a few other modifications and turned it into a Korean ear M4A3E8 in Canadian Service. Building it was by far the best hobby experience of my life. It was totally worth it.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Alex4182

My son's Tiger had the opposite problem,I would throw the plastic track in a heart beat but the metal track had only popped off once so far. The only beef I have with the metal set up is the set screw for the running gear keeps backing off and separating the two halves of the gear. I know I should use loctite but I don't want to get it stuck on there when I may have to take it off for maintinance in the future.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When adding metal tracks to the HL Tiger you also have to modify the suspension and idler wheels to make sure there's no sidways movement. Once you've got all that tightened up then you won't throw any tracks. My HL Tigers been running for 3 years without throwing a track and it doesn't have a track tensioner (though I had to take out a link from each side as the tracks have stretched.)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
roadcarver

So far I have no issues with my metal tracks, but the body mounts where the suspension arm goes to the Tiger is just pathetic. I fixed one with some epoxy, and make shift bolt/screw but after that, another one broke.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Fireman Tim

If I ever get another Tiger, it will be a Tamiya. To each his own, but I can do without the headache.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
roadcarver

I'm seriously thinking of investing on a Tamiya, but I'm following C4iStar's post on his Leopard but adding the gearbox and DMD units. It will be a fun, long term project.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
cheap tank

Most of the ones i have had work better with metal but on some like the m26 plastic is fine. I have found that the pz3, 4 and stug realy do need metal. As far as witch one to build i agree with Tim if you have the money get a tamiya dont get me wrong i love them all and have a hl tiger that runs great but it is compleatly rebuilt. In the long run a tamiya would have not cost mutch more and run just as well.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 AM
STO_118

I've seen a little wear on the plastic tracks but I presume it would take some time to really wear them. The biggest problem I've had is the plastic that surrounds the track pins is stretched and that causes the pin to fall out and you lose the track.

My Heng Long Tiger has metal tracks/wheels and has had zero problems throwing tracks in any terrain. The only problem it has had is the drive sprocket splitting (all the time) and the plastic caps flying off. Looking for that allan bolt and washer in grass is not fun!

My HengLong Panzer IIIHis forever throwing its tracks off the idle wheel. Limited testing with the M26, M41 and Jagdpanther and I've not had any problems.

Roadcarver does your Tiger have the metal reinforced strips on the inside? They run across the suspension arm mounts.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
roadcarver

Hi STO,

I got my HL Tiger back in 2007, and during that time, didn't have that option or it was just being thought of.

One of the tubes for the roadwheels is already gone. I don't think the reinforcement will help as its only a band aid solution?

I think one time, my drive sprocket came loose, but that was a user error where I didn't tighten it enough.

I love the metal track as there are times I could hear the "metal squeak" that makes it would like a real tank.

ORIGINAL: STO_118

I've seen a little wear on the plastic tracks but I presume it would take some time to really wear them. The biggest problem I've had is the plastic that surrounds the track pins is stretched and that causes the pin to fall out and you lose the track.

My Heng Long Tiger has metal tracks/wheels and has had zero problems throwing tracks in any terrain. The only problem it has had is the drive sprocket splitting (all the time) and the plastic caps flying off. Looking for that allan bolt and washer in grass is not fun!

My Heng Long Panzer III H is forever throwing its tracks off the idle wheel. Limited testing with the M26, M41 and Jagdpanther and I've not had any problems.

Roadcarver does your Tiger have the metal reinforced strips on the inside? They run across the suspension arm mounts.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM
STO_118

Not sure to be honest, when they added the strips they changed the fittings for the wheels and possibly the suspension arms. In the older Tiger's I believe suspension arms were push fits. Nearly all the Tiger chassis I have here (around 10 of them) the wheels are secured to the suspension arms with a screw, the suspension arm is then secured to that metal reinforcement plate with a screw as well. The whole assembly feels quite rugged and should prevent any flexing in the mounts.

The only problems in those were usually of two types, the control board does not allow the tank to turn (so far this is the main failure in around 15 tanks) and the last one was the plastic tracks were were binding due to being too tight. I have a feeling turning on carpet or grass may have burned out the old style control boards. The tight tracks eventually stop the tank added to this you can't get the damned things off.

Only other issue I've has is with a plastic drive wheel, I destroyed it completely trying to get the plastic cap off and eventually stuck the soldering iron through it in anger.