Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Did this exist in real life???

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Did this exist in real life???

Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM
(RC)Tanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did this exist in real life???

When i discribe the hull im comparing it to the shermans. Also, it was in prototype phase, so i believe it could have been modified with the Easy 8s type of suspension (if you make it) that was a variable of the shermans type which it was using, which was put in because of the weight load.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
(RC)Tanker

Hehe, ... sorry bout the link, just look up M6A2E1
Old 07-09-2011, 06:26 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M-6 , or T-1 was a heavy tank project in 1940-42 which never got off the ground. It mounted a 75mm with a 37mm coax and twin 50s in the bow. Several variations were attempted including the E2 version with a huge turret similar to the T-23. it was intially adopted as M-6, but was almost immediately dropped in favor of developing the T-26. The tank was too slow....weighed 60 tons and powered by a 9 cyl radial engine and also had very high a silouette. It was the first heavy tank adopted by the USA but never issued.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Shark27

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RC,
Here are a couple of pics of the real tank. It is missing it's tracks but it used a single double wide track which actually may have been two tracks joined together at the center judging by the photos I have seen of the tracks. If you look at the photo of the sprockets at the rear you will see that the tracks had a common center section driven by the single center sprocket.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10806.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1633268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy84679.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1633269  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 PM
pattoncommander

Steve, The M-6 series used a double pin T-31 track 25 3/4 in wide with removable rubber blocks. It's very interesting to see the additional sprocket in place of the normal flange for the center guide, which was not covered by Dick Hunnicutt. The final model
M-6A2E1 was a total monster mounting a 105mm gun and stood nearly 12 feet tall. The M-6 is an impressive looking tank with neat Sherman like design, but the loader would have his hands full with the 75 and 37mm guns and the ammo stowage was probably a nightmare. The entire development is covered by Hunnicutt's Firepower. APG has a complete T-1E1 on display. Steve, where is this tank located?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

(RC)Tanker:

Here ya go, all the data you wanted to know: [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_heavy_tank]M6 HeavyTank (Wikipedia)[/link] But here is the critical data for you:

In August 1944 the Ordnance Corps recommended using the T1E1s produced to build 15 77-ton vehicles designated M6A2E1, with thicker (up to 7.5-inch (190 mm) vertical protection) glacis armor and a turret developed for the T29 Heavy Tank, armed with a T5E1 105 mm gun. The proposal was rejected by General Eisenhower. However, by late 1942 main development effort shifted to other projects, one of which eventually resulted in the M26 Pershing.

On 14 December 1944 the M6 was declared obsolete. Only forty units were produced and they never left US soil. Several toured the United States for propaganda purposes, where they gave performance displays (such as car crushing) at War Bond drives and the like. All were eventually scrapped except for a single T1E1 which is on display at the United States Army Ordnance Museum, Aberdeen, Maryland.

Some suspension parts were used in the heavy Excelsior A33 Tank prototypes.
Here's a pic of the beastie for those who are lazy...
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

I considered building one of these also, as I liked the overall massiveness of the vehicle. I had trouble figuring out exactly how the track shoes were put together, but then found this discussion on Missing-lynx. It seems like the Assault Tank T14 shared the track and triple sprockets of the M6, and the thread has pretty good pictures of it.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208...sault+Tank+T14

I have seen a working 1/16 RC model of an M6 on Youtube, (it was just a passing shot in a report of a meet somewhere - I'll try to find it again). The model was still unpainted, and he used side-by-side Mato Sherman track parts with longer pins. There are also a couple of shots of the same model on the following link of a club meet, (there are about 100 photos on the page, and it's about 1/3 of the way down). -Mike

http://www.battletanksnederland.nl/p...=4124&start=45
Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Shark27

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That tank was at Aberdeen back in 2009 it may have been moved to Fort Lee Virginia by now I don't know as I haven't been there since. Here is a pic I found on the web of the prototype model, looking at the tracks they look to me like they might have been standard width tracks with end connecters in the middle to join the two tracks together. Seems likely since they wouldn't want to make all new tracks initially for a prototype. They did have a couple of different versions, one with a welded hull and the cast hull version. Looking at the back of the tank it looks like they just mounted the superstructure on the lower half of a sherman in reverse so the drive sprockets would be in the rear and the idlers up front.
Steve

Name:	Ca82940.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1633316  
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 AM
(RC)Tanker

Now the really cool thing about this is someone could probably make a RC tank that had switching top turrets so you can choose between Ways of pownage.

Addition; Isnt the T14 a sherman or sherman prototype with additional armor and sideskirts??

Also, Dual machineguns? How would that play into IR game?

M6A2E1onster is found. Doesnt it pretty much have better specs than the tiger???

Does anyone think it was a bad idea to not send them over? I mean, couldnt be that ineffective, propaganda effective if enemy sees it first hand, hehe.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 AM
pattoncommander

The T-14 is the M-22 Locust, a light tank deisgned for airborne use....The turret had to be removed and the tank was attached to the bottom of a plane. A half size sherman.. NOT sucessful[&:] Tank was not dropped, but flown in and turret remounted after landing.

Here are some photos of the M-6 heavy from Dick Hunnictts Firepower. The track has a specially designed spacer for the center sprocket.

Name:	Jh14720.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1633346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65373.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1633347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44646.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	1633348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31360.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1633349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91121.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1633350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21977.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1633351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78927.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1633352  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Rex Ross

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sassgrunt

I have seen a working 1/16 RC model of an M6 on Youtube, (it was just a passing shot in a report of a meet somewhere - I'll try to find it again). The model was still unpainted, and he used side-by-side Mato Sherman track parts with longer pins. There are also a couple of shots of the same model on the following link of a club meet, (there are about 100 photos on the page, and it's about 1/3 of the way down). -Mike

http://www.battletanksnederland.nl/p...=4124&start=45
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dang! Those guys are really serious about this hobby!!!!! [X(]
Rex
Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

The T-14 is the M-22 Locust, a light tank deisgned for airborne use....The turret had to be removed and the tank was attached to the bottom of a plane. A half size sherman.. NOT sucessful[&:] Tank was not dropped, but flown in and turret remounted after landing.

Here are some photos of the M-6 heavy from Dick Hunnictts Firepower. The track has a specially designed spacer for the center sprocket.
~~~~~~~~~~

The machine gun port on the rear of the turret is really interesting..........I have never seen one done that way before.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Panther F

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rex Ross

Dang! Those guys are really serious about this hobby!!!!! [X(]
Rex

I always go there for inspiration ... those guys are the best in our hobby.

Matter of fact, when my tanks grow up we're moving out there immediately!

- Jeff
Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Pzjgr

Here is Marcel's build of his M6 Heavy Tank (BTN):
http://bton.bbforum.nl/m-6-us-heavy-tank-vt262.html
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Pzjgr

Here is Marcel's build of his M6 Heavy Tank (BTN):
http://bton.bbforum.nl/m-6-us-heavy-tank-vt262.html
~~~~~~~~~

WOW! [X(]

That is stunning! It is truly an incredible model. Many thanks for posting that.

Rex
Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Airbrushler

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

that sure is a nice build i love the doubled up tracks looks mean like to see the finished pic
Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM
pattoncommander

Really fantasic build. Was not done in a weekend. Just the tracks were a lot of work, but worth the effort. Nice comparrison photo of M-6, M-4 and M-22, but wonder if the idiots realize the sherman tracks are backwards [&:]