Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

TWO NEWBIES NEED HELP IDing THIS TANK

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

TWO NEWBIES NEED HELP IDing THIS TANK

Old 08-20-2011, 05:52 AM
GLMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWO NEWBIES NEED HELP IDing THIS TANK

Well guys this thing has thrown me for a loop. We picked up 3 tanks from a garage sale and two were easy as Heng Long's but this sucker I cannot find anything on. There are absolutely no identifying marks on it, no stickers, nothing. Sorry for the blurry pics but I hope someone might be able to tell us something about it. It appears to be 1/16 scale but I could be wrong, it's approx 450cm long and is slightly larger than the other two tanks so it leads me to believe that we are close on the scale. To make matters worse there was no transmitter for it. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81648.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1650926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63680.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1650927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53379.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1650928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62147.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1650929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65595.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1650930  
Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TWO NEWBIES NEED HELP IDing THIS TANK

Looks like it a cheap toy rendition of an M-1 Abrams. Basic shape is there but tracks are absolutely wrong and it's missing one road wheel.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Onondaga

That Abrams comes with a built in electronic speed control. Its a very fast tank, but not having the original controller is a problem. Anyone know a way of hotwiring a transmitter?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:14 PM
JerB

I used to have this Abrams tank when I was younger. It was offered at sears ( at least thats where mine came from ) It has rubber tracks I seem to recall.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 PM
PantherJon

It looks like a japanese type 90 not sure the manufacturer but it is not 1/16 it is 1/18 or possibly 1/20th or 24th nice looking find good luck
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Rex Ross

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: GLMS

Well guys this thing has thrown me for a loop. We picked up 3 tanks from a garage sale and two were easy as Heng Long's but this sucker I cannot find anything on. There are absolutely no identifying marks on it, no stickers, nothing. Sorry for the blurry pics but I hope someone might be able to tell us something about it. It appears to be 1/16 scale but I could be wrong, it's approx 450cm long and is slightly larger than the other two tanks so it leads me to believe that we are close on the scale. To make matters worse there was no transmitter for it. Thanks for the help.
~~~~~~~~

Many years ago, I had four (4) of those puppies. They were the only R/C tank that could pop a wheelie and chase down a rabbit.. Originally, in the 1990s, they were sold by an outfit in Deerfield, Illinois called Chicago Model International. They cost about $120. Their instruction manual says they are 1/20th scale. They were fast (like warp speed) and didn't last very long. The R/C circuit board was weak. I ended up sending all 4 back for repairs, for a flat fee of $25 each and they fixed them. I also have an instruction maual on that same tank that has the name Megatech on it, the date on that manual is 1998. I think a number of sources sold that tank under their name. I ended up using the motor/transmission assemblies on some of my scratchbuilt tanks but with different circuit boards.

Those things were fun toys, but not dependable. I wouldn't advise doing anything with it except putting it on a shelf as an example of what was available back in the "olden days of R/C tanks". I still have a box of miscellaneous "parts and stuff" from those things.

Rex
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Tankhobby

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a green one I bought from Tower Hobbies on a scratch & dent sale many years ago, I think it was Hobbico. Fast and burned through batteries pretty quickly. The dog liked chasing it. I gave it to a friend to use as a robotics base for a project, he replaced all the electronics and only used the chassis and suspension. I wouldn't spend too much time or effort on it.