Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

A zombie-hunting Heng-Long snow leopard

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

A zombie-hunting Heng-Long snow leopard

Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Jay-Em

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A zombie-hunting Heng-Long snow leopard

On buying 4 broken Heng-long tanks for little money, I sat down ,and pondered what I could do with it ,apart from fixing the burnt-out electronics.
(a base perk of Heng-Long tanks, especially those with the older RX13 board)

One of the tanks was a Pershing with a seriously broken barrel, and a lot of missing parts.
Normally I am a scale-guy, but this asked for something completely different. I had just watched the last resident-evil movie and it struck me that some kind of post-apocalyptic zombie&monster killing tank with all sorts of useless sci-fi-atom-punk , techy-looking bits&bobs would be cool.

Thusly the ideas floating about in my demented brain, took the shape of a bloody, gory, armoured re-take on resident evil (sort of..).

Base is A Heng-long snow leopard with a new RX18 board, pc blower to cool the controller and a steel gearbox with the slow turning high-torque black back motors.
It's slow, but it somehow fits the theme. I had to add 2 links on each chain, because, strangely enough, the whole axle moved about 0,5cm to the rear after adding bearings to the track-wheels, and made the tracks far too tight.
All electronics are in working-order now. I ditched the abysmal HL smoker and used the free socket to power the cooling fan for the RX18. It has been running flawless since.
I was quite amazed at what could be achieved with about $60 of new electronics and a bearing-set for the drive-wheels. I didn't adapt the bogeys. They squeek&clatter!and I love it!!

The body is base-coated with tamiya grey primer, "stone-red" from revell and humbrol 113. then I used the "wet salt method" to lay-in the basic rust and sprayed all of it with revell 89 (desert sand) Used a tooth-brush to rub off the salt crystals and started dry brushing all of it with a 50/50 mix of flat white and desert sand. rust-streaks are 80 to 1 thinned orange-brown(revell 85)
The blood and gore splatter is done with Tamiya clear-red, with some clear green around the zombie-face for that "extra-yuck"-effect

The figures are a resident evil jill (I believe) and some marvel figure I found in the 2 dollar bin. Hat, helmet and the cyborg bobs&bits are made with something called "Apoxie" a 2 component epoxy that doesn't smell, can be worked on after hardening, and is bloody strong. The gutted zombie on the front is also from resident evil. The monster-hand- an head is from some McFarlane figure.

It's absolutely not scale, since the figures are about 1/12 to 1/14, but the end-result wasn't half bad, given the state it was in.

Enjoy the pics!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19332.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1651034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62794.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	1651035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18578.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	1651036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf95853.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	1651037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28734.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1651038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85224.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1651039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47018.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	1651040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26772.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	1651041  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23784.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1651042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13483.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	1651043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36254.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	1651044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19613.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	1651045  
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Scrooem

Default RE: A zombie-hunting Heng-Long snow leopard

sweet!!! very inventive! will look good rolling around the mound with the other battle tanks!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

He he ... awesome man!

- Jeff

Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Jay-Em

Thnks Guys! It was just some brain-fart I had. The state of the Pershing was quite terrible tbh. It looked as if some cat gave birth in it, and then was set on fire..I got it straight from a retailer, who had gotten it back from an angry customer... how on earth does one burn the printboards to a black crisp???

Still, Heng-Long tanks are a very VERY nice base for some customizing. Cheap, and fairly reliable with the new-generation electronics (The 40ghz and RX18-kind)
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Even my wife liked this!! Said it would be the tank she would drive.

- Jeff
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool. shows what you can put together with scrap parts. Dig the sexy crew. Didn't I see this on a TC program [:-]
Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Jay-Em

On the risk of sounding somewhat dense: What is "TC" ? A bit like "scrapheap challenge" , but for tanks?
Old 08-20-2011, 01:55 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops [X(] not dense...typo....should have been TV, Fernsehen, Flimmerkiste...boob tube. [&:] Too accustumed to typing Tank
Commander=TC. Lots of recent futuristic Sci Fi movies have had similar battle buggies, mostly up armored cars etc.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:31 PM
torpedochief

That has to be the most awesome "What if" tank on these pages. That is a great build. Just a crazy thought, but I am sending a few of those pictures to some folks I am working with on OF ICE AND STEEL.

What a great graphic novel idea!

Don
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Jay-Em

Tbh. I had sort of a story floating in the back of my mind, where, in a dry, cold -hence the Mad-Bomber- post-apocalyptic world, overrun by zombies, a cyborg and her pal found a tank-museum, and chose a pershing ww2 tank for it's relative simplicity, but superior armor, added a APU from a plane downed near-by, to generate power for a couple of electric motors,( hence the giant exhaust in the back) installed to drive the wheels, because the original e ngine ran on fuel no longer availabe, and a turbine runs on most fluids.

Cyborg&pal then set-up an agency to try and control (=cull) the zombie problem with improvised tech, scavenged from all over the place.

Bla bla bla.... you know? Standard, kitchy, tech post apo- fair. Iam still looking or a cheap a**. Stug 3 to convert in the same way. I like it's clunky looks. With a lot of faux rivets, a big smoke stack etc. it could be a great post-apocalyptic steam-punk tank too..

I have to admit that in most cases wher I made weird stuff, i did go by a semi-logical story-line in my builds. It gives stuff some coherence imho. Tanks and such, can be as crazy as you want,but the better sci-fi, always has a (fake) scientific, and/or logical explanation behind it.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no idea how I missed this in all my Pershing searches.... But this thing is AWESOME!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:12 AM
fury69

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol love it....
Old 07-15-2017, 04:23 AM
Jay-Em

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
I have no idea how I missed this in all my Pershing searches.... But this thing is AWESOME!
thnx!

it was some time ago, but Your thread in rctankwarfare, made me take a look at it again, and by now it has all-metal running gear, a 3d gen HL 2.4 ghz controller, new speaker, ànd a last-gen smoker filled with baby-oil.. It belches smoke like nothing else!! Time for a IBU 2 with Abrams sounds, and a proper jet-engine lookalike exhaust. Flexible drain-pipes in a small diameter could work..hmm... *pondering*

I have some more ideas floating around in my head. Make the main gun look like a rail-gun with LED-strips that are triggered in sequence, while retaining the airsoft toy-gun. I'll have to dig-up some electronic kits to get that LED sequence going, but it shóuld be do-able.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 07-15-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:01 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Can we get a new video of her running around?