Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long Panther II Tank Destroyer

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Panther II Tank Destroyer

Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 AM
wright 971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heng Long Panther II Tank Destroyer

Hi There a bit late made one last year.with correct suspension and gun .The lower hull can also be used with a standard Panther G upper to make the one in the Patton musium,and with a F type turret to make a Panther F.So I wont be buyine one.

regards pete
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Warlord_Link

Waiting for E-100.

First time I see this tank I think it is VK4502P.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forget who did it but someone on here once did a paper panzer based on the Sherman. It looked like an American Stug and was one of the coolest looking tanks I have seen.

Perhaps that might coax YHR into the what-if world. I know how you love your Shermans Dan.

Perry
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
DirtyBird69

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

This has the Thomas Benadini sound unit it’s based on a Tamiya chassis the upper Wanne is metal.

Well while we are all into Hollywood replicas why not ask the GOD of models Heng Long to make a Sturmelefant Ausf H mit KWK128 L56 or Tiger II Austwind with chrome engine grills and bull bars or a Sherman Easydude with sun roof, wide wheels, white walled tyres and quad 50’s that way we may just get something interesting like a Cromwell or Churchill.
Lets face it, this is going to be a subject on par with the HL vs Tamiya debate. there are gonna be those that hate it and those that see the plausibility and uniqueness of it. But the "rivet-counters" of the world need to be a little less judgmental as they are still finding out about stuff the germans were doing and nobody ever new about it till now. And to me it's just a chancefor us modelers to continue on the development of these "paper panzers" to the3-dmodel stage. Like most I would like to see more models of actual combat vehicles, but since thatmarketseems to be slowing down (to the frustration of us all) this is something new and the possibility of a "1946" series of tanks is definately cool. I think most peoplearen't as concerned as some as to wether or not a model tank has the correct number of wheel lugs,etc ....I would prefer that myself,but I'm MORE then willingto overlook a few itty-bitty details to have more/ uniquearmor...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

Well actually they couldn’t for the following reasons, the engine requires a tuned length to give the correct backpressure to the engine making it more than twice the length would alter this in a negative way, also there is a heat element Panther engine had the exhaust pipes glowing bright red even in winter this would cause unbearable heat, what if one of the pipes broke the crew would be gassed, the heat could cause damage to the torsion bars then there is the extra space they would take up, if one studies the Elefant it’s exhaust vents at the sides under the sponsons before the citadel, exhaust pipes on the back plate is just an ill-informed modeller with the mechanical knowledge of a bimbo.

There are at least 2 companies now making this tank that at the time was just a figment of imagination, has no one noticed some severe drawbacks with this design the first being the inability to lower the gun the second being the large area where the driver wouldn’t be able to see the same would go for the gunner also there would have been a massive problem opening the engine hatch not to mention the engine being removed, Elefant had two engine running either side and the gun would not foul removal.
+1
I personally like the idea of making some of the tanks that were planned, but never made it to production. The main thing I have against this tank is the motive. Why would the Germans take a very successful tank destroyer and move the compartment to the rear? As RC noted in this post, it would reduce visibility, make repairs in the engine bay more difficult, and prevent the gun from being aimed down.
ORIGINAL: Warlord_Link

Waiting for E-100.

First time I see this tank I think it is VK4502P.
Now that's a paper panzer I'd love to see done. That or a Maus.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
mustclime

the vk4502p was the porschepreposal for the king tiger.....it had a "porsche turret".
Old 12-06-2011, 11:46 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

I forget who did it but someone on here once did a paper panzer based on the Sherman. It looked like an American Stug and was one of the coolest looking tanks I have seen.

Perhaps that might coax YHR into the what-if world. I know how you love your Shermans Dan.

Perry
Yes I rememebr that one. I really liked it, and wondered why it was never a reality.

My concern over this has been reduced dramtically when I see it is someone who is taking Stock Heng Long panthers and modifiying them into what ifs. Fine great, all the power to ya. I thought HL actually had commited some resources and time to develop this fantasy tank, and that is what i was having an issue with, as I think that is the wrong way for this hobby to go. Brought back memories of WING THiNGY slot cars that overwhelmed the scale guys, and killed the hobby.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The exhaust back-pressure theory would not be too big of an obstacle for the engineers to overcome and figure out. So I ain't buyin' that being an ex-auto technician and race enthusiast.

Besides, they didn't build these to last 20 years, they were to just get out in the field and make a difference ... if it had been built. So motors and fuel mileage were the last things on their minds.

~ Jeff
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK what about the space and heat, ah you are going to say this also can be overcome with heat shields but that then interferes with the fighting compartment where space is vital then there is still the problem with gassing the crew with a broken exhaust, you only have to look at the Elefant and modern AFV’s to see what would have been done and no modern Mercarver or APC has exhausts running through the fighting compartment to exit the rear, why would they it’s the most impractical thing to do.

Paper panzer’s are one thing at least they were in development of some sort but the fantasy tanks are just that fantasy
Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
mustclime

Get a couple of these, flank them with some pantigers and you will have a unstopable armor spearhead!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
SGTMAJMVJ

Rivetcounter knows his stuff. Thanks for the back-up.

Exhaust through the crew compartment and heat and all that stuff. Never would happen.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Panther F

Whatever and no need for back-up. It isn't worth arguing about something that never happened, especially if we look at it with blinders.

By the way, it's just a plastic model. It can do whatever the fudge it wants to do.

~ Jeff
Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
FreakyDude

a paper panzer it is not but look at the thing for a minute.
Lower silhoute, engine in front for crew protection and quick exits out the back.
reduces the need for lots of material so I would think cheaper to make.
only problem is you have to move the entire tank to shoot. great tank hunter with an 88 on board.
I like it, wish i would have seen it a month and a half ago, i would have scratch built it. now i will have to wait till my current project is finished.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: YHR

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

Perry
Yes I rememebr that one. I really liked it, and wondered why it was never a reality.

My concern over this has been reduced dramtically when I see it is someone who is taking Stock Heng Long panthers and modifiying them into what ifs. Fine great, all the power to ya. I thought HL actually had commited some resources and time to develop this fantasy tank, and that is what i was having an issue with, as I think that is the wrong way for this hobby to go. Brought back memories of WING THiNGY slot cars that overwhelmed the scale guys, and killed the hobby.
~~~~~~~~

That was me being goofy.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25062.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1696316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49590.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1696317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90821.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1696318  
Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

That's a neat Goofy. Too bad that type of tank destroyer wasn't built. It would have scared the crap out of the Germans.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I like that thing. So plausible, makes you wonder why it never happened
Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Das ist Amerikan Sturmgeschutz 90mm L/48 Ausf. D, ya?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM
FreakyDude

ORIGINAL: YHR

Yes I like that thing. So plausible, makes you wonder why it never happened
The fact that it would have been modeled on a sherman hull would stop me.
the US did have some good designs on paper late in the war but they were all too late for the war and never got built. honestly I don't know what happened to the US as far as tank design goes. I guess they tossed all the good engineers at their aircraft and forgot about armour.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

There is a guy over in Germany I think his name is Christen he has been making a kit of this for a couple years now .

Jimmy
Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Warlord_Link

Sherman TD !!!, I like it.

Could I save you picture? I will let my customer see it. He always converse stock tank to other tank maybe he will make it.

I want these tanks that He scartch build from Henglong tank.

Regards,
Jade
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67381.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1696438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50239.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1696439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23903.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1696440  
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

Das ist Amerikan Sturmgeschutz 90mm L/48 Ausf. D, ya?
~~~~~~~~~~~

Das ist pretty close......I call it a Shermgeschutz. The nice thing about designing model tanks is.........all you need is a box full of spare parts and a few beers to remove mental limitations and start thinking "what if?"
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...wha...what are you guys saying....you..don't like the Pan-Tiger???...[&o]

Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Panther F

Good gawd! That Swedish tank is so awesome! Gosh, like a kid in a candy store.

I gotta stop looking at all of these that I cannot have. Ever since I built that tank back in the 70's from an Aurora kit I'd always had a soft place for one. That and I really like tanks without turrets.

~ Jeff
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Warlord_Link

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Good gawd! That Swedish tank is so awesome! Gosh, like a kid in a candy store.

I gotta stop looking at all of these that I cannot have. Ever since I built that tank back in the 70's from an Aurora kit I'd always had a soft place for one. That and I really like tanks without turrets.

~ Jeff
Jeff, not only Swedish tank I like his other tanks too.

The picture Itake are seem old, Iwill visit him again soon and will take more pictures.
I just recieve message from him that he already complete make 1/16 SU-100 and SU-152.
This new year he plan to buy Henglong Panther that make I think "Which tank he will converse to?".

Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
DirtyBird69

wow...those are fantastic..I agree the swedish tank rocks!...I wonder if it's got hydraulic suspension like the real one lol?

p.s I also REALLY like the "Shermgeschutz" a little higher up in the thread...WAY COOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.