Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

PX III Track Tensioners

Old 01-07-2012, 06:34 AM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PX III Track Tensioners

Hi All and Happy New Years,
Has anyone used the PZ III track tensioners from Mato? Are they any good? Are they easy to assemble and add to the tank etc? The reason for all the questions is I received a PZ III for X-Mas and I'm in the process of collecting add on parts. Don't want to wast any of my precious tank $.

Thanks

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 06:43 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: PX III Track Tensioners

Glad to hear Santa was good to you, Jim. I haven't used those parts, but I'm sure some of the lads here have and you'll get a reply shortly.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Jim, They look like copies of the Asiatam parts, which I have used, so they should work. The Asiatam's I used were easy to install. They had a template to drill the needed holes in the rear plate to mount them. The Mato set comes with the template as well. You will have to cut or grind off part of the original mounting points for the molded on track tensioners to mount these. Here are some photos of what the hull will look like once they are cut away and the hull is ready for the installation of the new metal tensioners.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87616.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1710800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61787.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1710801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90294.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1710802  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

Hi Jim, They look like copies of the Asiatam parts, which I have used, so they should work. The Asiatam's I used were easy to install. They had a template to drill the needed holes in the rear plate to mount them. The Mato set comes with the template as well. You will have to cut or grind off part of the original mounting points for the molded on track tensioners to mount these. Here are some photos of what the hull will look like once they are cut away and the hull is ready for the installation of the new metal tensioners.

Maus45,
Thanks for the input, but your pics didn't show. If possible, could try posting them again. I would really like to see what is intailed with the installation.

Thanks

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM
MAUS45

Not sure why the pic's didn't go the first time, but got them there now. I will try and post a pic of the parts installed today after I take some. At least the ones I just uploaded will give you an idea of what needs to be removed to install the parts.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
1sgt

Maus45,
Thanks for the pics and I'm looking forward to your installation pics. After all, if it doesn't work, you have a ruined tank chassie on your hands. For the $14.00 or so $'s that Mato wants, I think I should just go ahead and order them.

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM
1sgt

Maus45,
Based on your report, and the fact that $24.00 ( part and shipping) won't put that much a dent in my tank budget, I went and ordered the tensioners. I would like to know if you have also decided to go with the metal suspension for the PZ III? I have enought Mato points to get a set for free, but wonder if they are really needed for tank performance? Any ideas on the subject?

Thanks Again.

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They're interesting, and work well, I installed mine in something like 10 minutes with a dremel and flat file.

Found a picture of a Pnz3 being hoisted in factory and pretty much keep my tracks at the same slack 'hanging' that it shows there.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 PM
MAUS45

I would get the suspension kit, especially when it will be free. It is a copy of the Asiatam set as well and is an easy upgrade. If you are using metal tracks they will help for sure. I have attached the install photos and a pic of the parts. You will notice I changed the chain holding the tow shackle in place to a more scale size chain. You can see the original chain in the parts pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94214.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1711072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13336.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1711073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38967.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1711074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35056.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1711075  
Old 01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
HondoBob

I did a brief tutorial about installing PzIII track adjusters/tensioners a while back: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9719539
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 AM
1sgt

Thanks Hondobob and Mause45. Mause are you going to post more pics of your build? Hope so, it looks good.
Hondobob, I noticed on your air intake grills, you didn't cut the top of the plastic intakes to the shape of the interior. Do you think that would be a necessery step, or are you happy with yours?

Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM
HondoBob

1sgt - I chose not to cut off the top of the air intakes because I felt confident the necessary effect could be closely achieved with paint. You can see the final result in my post "My First Tank – Remade" http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10029916/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm . I think going the full nine yards by cutting out the top of the air intakes will result in wonderfully accurate scale details, but I was willing to settle for a more modest representation.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

I see "budget" in your list, but honestly, consider simply buying the complete PZIII Asiatam lower hull.

I don't think anyone has any complaints about it, it's metal everything, and is complete.

I started down the path you did, and ended up taking quite the beating when I sold all the brand new, uninstalled "metal upgrade parts" I had assembled. I was simply unhappy with the wavy, flexy HL hull, and there was no realistic workaround for that. Not to mention torsion bar suspension, etc.

Along comes the Asiatam metal hull assembly. Had that been out when I first started, I would have saved myself $$.

Just my opinion. Good luck!