Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M 48 R C Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M 48 R C Conversion

Hi all,
Received my 21st Century M 48 in the mail and it is a nice ( and big tank for 1/18 ). I have been studying it and an old non- S an S Pershing. It looks like the Pershing suspension would work on the M 48. The one question I have does the newer HL Pershing releases come with screw in swing arms? My old one has the silver pins holding the swing arms in. Also looking for others who have already done the RC conversion. I know Phil did one, but didn't change the fixed suspension. So what do you think Phil. Think it'll work? Do you offer the Pershing swing arms with screws as well as the spring set? You can PM me if you like. For now I'm gathering info and hope to make it IR battle ready ( my first, all my other tanks have been airsoft ). For the barrel, I plan on cutting the flash supressor and bore evacuator off to drill through them and replace the barrel with brass tube ( Phil mentioned in his build he tried drilling the barrel out, but was to hard. I think by breaking it down to a couple small jobs and using brass tube I can make it work and be able to put a flash unit in ). I also plan on having the search light operable like Phils, so any further info on that will help alot as well. Wondering about the the TU's. Thinking of using the old Pershing nylon set to get up and running and maybe upgrade later. Phil, what kind of gears did you use? I know I'm asking alot of questions, but you guys are the vets, so I feel comfortable in tapping into your vast knowledge.

As is always, all and any help well be greatly appreciated. I also plan on doing a thread with pics once I get started. Thanks again.

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: M 48 R C Conversion

My Smoke and Sound Pershing had screwed suspension, my non version didn't - I maybe bought the non in 2006 and the S&S in 2007/8

Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
1sgt

Ex Pat Tanker,
Thanks, 06 was around when I got my non S and S pershing as well.
I guess they upgraded the line.

Thanks

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Assuming that you would be using a 4 or 6 channel radio, then one of these would plug into a spare channel on the receiver and control the light for you: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm
Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
1sgt

E P T,
Yes thats exactly the kind of info I need to make this build unique. Thank you.

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be watching your progress. I have one due in and will be doing an M-48A5 Israeli Magach. From what I read, seems most are just going with the fixed suspension on the Cent 21. The one Phil showed a short while ago looks good as is. I think the Pershing road wheels would be too large and interfere with the angled lower hull as well as shocks/snubbers being different from the M-26. Good luck either way.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
1sgt

PC,
I'm planning on using the original road wheels and just the swingarms and snubbers( didn't know the name previousley, thanks PC ) from the Pershing. I know the snubbers are shorter on the M 48, and I'am thinking of halfing the Pershing snubbers ( and springs ) to make it fit. Make any sense? In my mind so far it's working. Come to assembly, maybe a different situation. Just have to wait and see. Anyone know of a site for the swingarms and snubbers? Phil, hope your reading this.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM
1sgt

PC,
Thanks for the PM and yes I knew it to be a muzzel brake, but somehow flash surpressor slipped in. Yeah, I agree 90MM would be hard to suppress. LOL.

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

Anyone know of a site for the swingarms and snubbers? Phil, hope your reading this.
For parts, I would start with MatoMart. Alternatively, Tamiya parts can be purchased from the AAF Museum. These are a little different, though.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some of the parts, 4 shocks and 8 swingarms if you need them.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

This is what I use on my JT for the infrarot light on the Vampire next to the gunners periscope:

http://www.etoarmour.com/product_det...productID=TUR3

Plugs in to a regular radio channel. On the JT, I use a 6 channel, 4 for the Tammy DMD/TO system, #5 for the Vampire light, and #6 for the rotating commander's sighting scope hatch.

Very simple to install with clear instructions, basically load in and load out, switch completes the circuit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48783.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1715729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm41314.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1715730  
Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 AM
pattoncommander

Jim, I'm used to calling them snubbers...they are dry...no oil, narrower and came out with the M-48 and were a lot better . Up to the M-47 all had oil shocks. When the M-60 came out, our 6 for testing they didn't have any....some idiot designer thought the tank didn't need them, so we about killed ourselves running cross country and firing the main gun, the tank would sit and rock like a baby carriage which killed your point of aim. Two weeks into testing, a crew showed up and installed snubbers on 1,2 and 6 roadwheels.
Sounds like a good plan....good luck.
Bill
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
1sgt

Buckeye36,
Thanks, sent you a PM. Sevoblast, was the spot light IR? Perhaps PattonCommander can let us know? PC thanks for the info so far ( and faith LOL ). I really like this model, but the bustle rack seems a bit over scale or clunky looking, have you seen the 21 Century M 48 yet? When I have time I'll post some pics prior to surgury.

Jim
Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

Hi all,
Received my 21st Century M 48 in the mail and it is a nice ( and big tank for 1/18 ). I have been studying it and an old non- S an S Pershing. It looks like the Pershing suspension would work on the M 48. The one question I have does the newer HL Pershing releases come with screw in swing arms? My old one has the silver pins holding the swing arms in. Also looking for others who have already done the RC conversion. I know Phil did one, but didn't change the fixed suspension. So what do you think Phil. Think it'll work? Do you offer the Pershing swing arms with screws as well as the spring set? You can PM me if you like. For now I'm gathering info and hope to make it IR battle ready ( my first, all my other tanks have been airsoft ). For the barrel, I plan on cutting the flash supressor and bore evacuator off to drill through them and replace the barrel with brass tube ( Phil mentioned in his build he tried drilling the barrel out, but was to hard. I think by breaking it down to a couple small jobs and using brass tube I can make it work and be able to put a flash unit in ). I also plan on having the search light operable like Phils, so any further info on that will help alot as well. Wondering about the the TU's. Thinking of using the old Pershing nylon set to get up and running and maybe upgrade later. Phil, what kind of gears did you use? I know I'm asking alot of questions, but you guys are the vets, so I feel comfortable in tapping into your vast knowledge.

As is always, all and any help well be greatly appreciated. I also plan on doing a thread with pics once I get started. Thanks again.

Jim
Hey Jim,

I used the Heng long Pershing metal Gearbox, but you could use the Panther G/ Jagd or King tiger as they are low profile, Or the new Hybrid 3:1 I sell in my Bulldog or Pershing area. Plastic gears will be fine if you are running plastic tracks.

On the suspension it looked to me that it will be a bear, and when I have tried in the past to mess with the Bulldog or Pershing suspesnion it has just fell apart on me. that may have changed but it still is press fit onto the tank so NO I do not carry these parts as replacement, and it seems like that would be tough to tackle. The Tamiya suspension has me curious it sure looks identical to Heng long but it s metal, I have always wanted to try it but not R & D time or money to test that out, and with the new track tensioner that came out for the Pershing now you can get all the wheels with bearings and rubber tires as well. Here is my build maybe give you some ideas, and I look forward to seeing what you do.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9109132

Phil
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM
pattoncommander

Jim the searchlight on 47-48s-60s were not IR...They were a super high voltage lamp with a bulb that you could not touch with your bare hands....one fingerprint or small amount of sweat would make the bulb explode. (when first switched on) Besides making yourself a target, they were not fun to work with. The 46-47 and early 48s used a Crouse-Hines 18 inch, believe they were 1800 KW, but later we had 22 inch Xenon lamps with 2,2 KW. The T-55 and T-62s from Egypt and Syria had IR during the Yom kippur War but IDF Centurions and M-48A5 didn't. I think the IR stuff came out with the M-60A3.

Here's a good use for the searchlight...to hide the IR emitter

I'm expecting my 48 to be here any day and from the looks, there will be a lot of work making it accurate, then replacing the TC cupola, install a 105mm with thermal sleeve and a few other IDF changes. From what I have seen in photos, the stowage rack does look a bit thick, but will see when it gets here.

Name:	Lj23706.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1716310  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
1sgt

Bill,
Are you planning on RC'ing your 48 as well? We may be able to swap ideas, guess it depends on who starts first. I have my tank already, but waiting on parts. I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

Jim
Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 AM
1sgt

Phil,
How did you mount the gear boxes? Did you build stand offs in the lower hull? Also, what did you do to get the height correct, just eyeball it? Do you think my approach to the barrel sounds like it'll work. I believe I'll be able to drill through the muzzel brake and evacuator if I seperate them from the barrel and from each other. You mentioned the plastic as being very hard, but by making it a smaller job, I'm hoping for success.

Bill,
Do you have any pics of M-48's. I have one book with a couple, but there not that great. A bit grainey and out of focus.

All,
I still plan on doing some presurgery pics, but between work ( 0h, I hate it when work gets in the way of tanking LOL ) and the lousey weather It'll have to wait a bit. Thanks to all for their ideas, suggestions and faith.

Jim
Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
pattoncommander

Jim,. Here's my '48. I have done about 90% of the conversion work. Still have a lot of work to do on the home made Urdan cupola. Once I have it sanded smooth, I have to make a Chrysler external cal 50 mount for it, but I have the TC's hatch cover made from Sherman and KT parts and seated with pins, so that if I decide to use a DBU, I'll just pull it out. Still much work to do, and apply markings for the 188th (ברק)Brigade in October 1973. Note that some units removed the 2d and 4th return rollers. I'll let Phil do the
RC work.

Jim; .email me...I served on 48, A1 & A2, but have Dick Hunnicutts book.

Bill

Name:	Fd93439.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1717270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19385.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1717271  
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Patton Commander
It's looking good. Re the 105mm, you might want to try adding wire rings to the bore evacuator, at either end, then glue them in place - to get the look right - http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/oldhavoc/i...?topic=1991.20- replies 22 & 34 have pics of the tube & bore evacuator.

Mal
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM
pattoncommander

Hi Mal, thanks. Yes I am very familiar with the M-68. Worked with them on the M-60. The gun in the video is a totally different animal...it's a 165mm low MV demolition gun, as opposed to the HV 105mm. The BE is not finished...just many things in the right place. I should also add another layer to make the BE larger....have to find the right dia tube.... The rear ring is attached to the gun tube....the BE is slid into position and the front ring is threaded on and locked in place with a huge spanner wrench. I will eventually get both ends done...right now working on the TC's Urdan cupola. (Lotsa work) I have formally requested an additional 2 hours to the standard 24 hr day, but it has not been approved as yet. I'd like to put on Merkava tracks... but haven't found anything close enough. Israel threw away that worthless TC hatch, replaced the rubber chevron with Merk tracks and made many other minor mods but the tracks are the real bugger. Pz IV is close, but too narrow. Panther has a totally different sprocket. [&:] Haven't really looked that close into Leo tracks to see if they would work..
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
1sgt

Well,
I got my first good look at the HL shock absorbers (Thanks Buckeye). They don't disassemble in the way that I thought, so I may have to make a compromise and have shock absorbers instead of the snubbers. Unless someone has some ideas how I can half them and still have the eyelets at both ends. I guess I could also explore the possibilty of using clock spring inside the swing arm like the Tigers and Panthers etc. Any thoughts. I also received an email from Karen at AAF about the Tamiya suspension parts. Unfortunatley, she is unfamiliar with the HL suspension system so can't comment on any interchangablity. Anyone who has knowledge of both Tamiya an HL tanks your comments and ideas will be greatley appreciated. Thanks to all, and I have not given up yet. Worst case is the compromise from snubbers to full shocks.

Jim
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
AFV432

Have you thought of using the H/Long PZ3 suspension?

it might take a bit of work similar to Mustclimes Build? here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
1sgt

AFV432,
Thanks for the idea, but I already checked. The PZ III shocks are the same size as the Pershing and Bulldog. Still I really appreciate the input. Keep on throwing ideas around and we'll come up with something, perhaps some input from the scartch builders would helpas well?

Jim
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
AFV432

i wasnt looking at the shocks
but the idea of the inboard spring assembly
im guessing you may not need shocks
just use the uprated coil springs in the housings for metal suspension?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 PM
1sgt

AFV432,
Are you talking about cutting the spring slots from the PZ III and gluing them in place on the M-48? It would work, except the 48 has a curved lower hull and the PZ III flat. But like I said the more the ideas that float around the closer we get to a solution.

Thanks Again.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.