Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
George Jure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

Hello,

Since I have been here I have seen the increase of scratch builders and modifiers. I would like to put together a list of hand tools that seem to be common in this hobby field, also the size is SAE . I would like to start with the Allen key, either L shaped or the T handle. I find because of my hand trouble that the T handle seems easiest to hold and use. I am also interested in Taps and Dies. I guess, not knowing, I`d start at 4-40 size OR is there smaller sizes that are used alot. Can be used anywhere in a R.C Tank, Boat, Car etc.

A List of ALL the hand tools would be apreciated and I guess where is the BEST place and price to find them, all I know is ebay, sorry.

Please keep listing as I check here often.

Thanks Inadvance for the Help.

George
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
whiteknight1066

Default RE: Looking For Hand Tool Must Haves

You want a list of ALL the tools?!? Um...I've been modeling for close to twenty-five years here, and my anual tool bill STILLlists in the thousands of dollars! There ISno list of all the tools-however, looking at scratchbuilding websites, or books and magazines on 1/35 armor modeling is a great place to start. What I'd do if I were you is find a "how to" book, maybe on amazon, about scratchbuilding in plastic. That's how you're going to start your model, so read up on it.

Ithink your most important skills as well as your most important tools are going to be in the measuring department. You can't cut or assemble anything if you can't measure and lay it out VERY accurately. Squares, triangles, protractors, rulers, all are very important, and are basic toolbox tools. Next after that, I'd say, is cutting tools-various knives, saws, drills, gouges, etc...I probably have something like 20-30 different knives myself, but several of those are repeat tools or specialized for a specific task. I'd start accumulating cutting tools at three x-acto knives, one with a #11 blade, one with the curved blade (#22? #5? Iforget offhand), and one with the bigger #3 handle and the bigger blades that come with it. Also get a pin vice and a set of good micro-drill bits. Lastly in my littany of cutting tools, you'll want a jeweler's saw with a couple grades of blades and and modeler's miter saw (also called a razor saw) made by a variety of companies. Then get some glues and adhesives, lots of documentation, and have at! Oh, and Ialso forgot that you'll want a utility knife, like a good boxcutter that you get at Home Depot. Which is, come to think, a great place to look for general tools. Also look at Micro-Mark; they're one of the premier modeler's tools suppliers, and while they aren't the cheapest, they're good quality and a great reference for the type and variety of tools out there.

As for taps and dies, do you know how to use them? They're a little particular and need a bit of knowledge to use correctly, especially the small ones. If you're not already familliar with them I'd put them on the back burner for a while while you get a good foundation of modeling skills. In fact, the best tool you can get is knowledge. Read, read, read, practice, and make stuff. Build 1/35 scale models (if you haven't already) and modify them. Make battlefield scenery, then graduate to simple vehicles, then move on to complex tanks and such. Scratchbuilding can be done by anyone with patience and time, but it isn't simple and takes time to learn. But go for it! And check out Micro-mark and Amazon.com for modeling books and tools. They'll help. Good luck!

Andrew
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I would definitely get an inexpensive set of jeweler's files; very handy. Can't stress enough how useful files are.

Taps /dies? I echo what the other fellow said the smaller sizes require some patience. I use whatever is needed so I have everything
from 00-90 up. I use quite a bit of 0-80, 1-72, and 2-56 screws / miniature bolts in my hobby work. The really small sizes are very fragile.
Very important is the proper cutting lubricant!

An Xacto saw is very handy. Of course Xacto knives, goes without saying really.

Starrett Piano wire cutters are like having a miniature shear in your hands; very useful. An array of pliers is a must as well as a proper set
of screw drivers including jeweler's sizes. Miniature nut drivers I find indispensable....

A pin vise is a useful tool.

General purpose pin punch sets. I make my own fine punches from piano wire; indispensable for removing the small pins in many of our model transmissions / gearboxes.
Small ball pein hammers. Of course a vice and a supply of blocks rods and such to form shapes on. A small bending brake and shear such as sold by Micro-Mark; really a copy
of the enormously expensive Swiss made Profi...

Several good steel straight edge measuring implements; metric and SAE.

Not really a hand tool but a good VOM is essential.

Again not a hand tool but one of the miniature cut-off saws such as sold by Harbor Freight is a boon to any model making shop. For a second
opinion on that just ask Rex Ross!

Jerry
Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice so far, very thorough lists.

I can only add to I use a micrometer as much as I use an X-atco.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 AM
rampa203

May I put in a plug for metric? I don't see the logic in spending a lot of money on SAE hobby tools when almost everything we buy comes from Chinaor occasionally Germany. Also SAE will be gone some day - 95% of the people in the worlduse metric and the rest will follow sooner or later.

Dremel, Dremel, Dremel, Dremel

I have half a dozen Dremels, corded and cordless, the drill press, router and most important, the now discontinued table saw (used on ebay.) I had a Proxxon table saw and it could hardly cut paper.

Russ
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 AM
PantherJon

Second Plug for Dremel.  Bought a Deluxe set with the router, drillpress, flush cutting attachment  and the extension at Lowes' a couple years ago for like 10c on the dollar of course I worked there at the time but still its the best money I have ever spent on hobby related tools.  That a good xacto set , jewelers files, mitre box.  Great advice so far.

Jon
Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I think a must have is a cutting mat, wouldn't want to cut into the wife's table.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Rebellion13

Just start out small, get your basics like others have stated. Screwdrivers, hobby knives, jewelers files and saws, etc. then once your skills improve go for the bigger more expensive tools. And if you find yourself in a bind just ask.

Cheers
Wade
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with everything everyone has said so far.

In the future, you will want bigger things like a....drill press, lathe, belt sander/circular sander, bench grinder, air compressor/airbrushes, paint shaker, paint booth, and just about anything that uses electricity or batteries. Ya can't have too many tools, but ya gotta start small. You will quickly realize what you need. It has taken me a lifetime to finally get to where I have everything I want.........except for that neat little gizmo I saw that I would probably only use once a year. Yeah! I need that!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

I think a must have is a cutting mat, wouldn't want to cut into the wife's table.

Well, the first thing to own is your own table!! LOL

I like getting small modeling tools like jewelers have. Hardware stores have these real inexpensive, kinda like going to a Dollar Store and getting the cheap tools there. No need for HD stuff (like Snap-On) when all they are used for is light work.

I know Lowes has tools sets and gift ideas once in awhile, so there's an opportunity to grab a few at one time.

Go into the beauty section at a department store and pick up tweezers, scissors, emery boards and whatever you think you'll need and once you get started you'll be back for more!

~ Jeff
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM
kclank

a hammer, and plenty of c-4, to restart projects. filler putty and paint for the "good enough" jobs. just kidding George. Seriously just buy the tools as/when you need them. Tanque shows a good list but you may never need all that. just get it when you need it or are planning a project that you think requires something more then what you have. how detailed and meticulous you are will determine many special tools. i just use a ******* file, hammer, drill press, and clamps to get what i need. lol
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM
bowlman

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I second what Ken said start out with small projects first then as you improve try harder things to scratch build .

Jimmy
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Rebellion13

Panther, lol that was a good one. the mat was cheaper. Plus there is better lighting in the dining room. I know I know get better lighting lol.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

Panther, lol that was a good one. the mat was cheaper. Plus there is better lighting in the dining room. I know I know get better lighting lol.

I'd hate to make a choice between eating and modeling, making that table 2 dimensional.

That was my first purchase back in 2002 when I returned to modeling, was a desk. Of course, I have a dedicated 9 X 11 foot room with all the toys in there and no one to flush out at dinner time. []

~ Jeff
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Rebellion13

Shhh. No one was home, so I had the table to myself. Also don't forget nail polish remover, that is for when you glue your fingers to your project
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Panther F

I came from a house with a full basement at my total disposal. I built a restroom/shower, and fully dry-walled the thing. Had a tournament dart board area, FULL sound system and projector screen. A few stand up pinball games from a pizza place that folded too.

Then I lost it all along with 2 cars when I got sick. So, what I have now seems so small but I realize some have a lot less.

Plus I am reliving my youth with about 12 1/18 scale aircraft hanging from the ceiling and everything I have built on shelves, including the 800 CD's and DVD's too.

I once married at 18 and became a Father all within a year, so that's the reason!

That was 20 years ago this summer that I lost everything. [:@]

~ Jeff
Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM
mustclime

OLFA Rotary Circle Cutter.....cutting clean circles is handy, a miter box for the razersaw is a plus( cutting right angles/45 degree angles)...an airbrush/pump setcan comebecalled a must have( cheapsets out there work fine for camo).....lots of different grit sand paper,shoegloo is a must( ifno other glue will work, it will),a candleto make plastic workable/ bendable, a butain torch for shrink sleeves.....a good sodtering iron with different tips.If you you do not haveaccess to c4, a BFH will get er done as well.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: mustclime

OLFA Rotary Circle Cutter.....cutting clean circles is handy, a miter box for the razersaw is a plus( cutting right angles/45 degree angles)...an airbrush/pump set can come be called a must have( cheap sets out there work fine for camo).....lots of different grit sand paper, shoe gloo is a must( if no other glue will work, it will), a candle to make plastic workable/ bendable, a butain torch for shrink sleeves.....a good sodtering iron with different tips. If you you do not have access to c4, a BFH will get er done as well.

Sounds like your wanting to own a construction company!

~ Jeff
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Try the Tower Hobbies catalog. Nearly every hand tool in there makes a lot of sense to have. Like one person implied, hobby hand tools make great Christmas stocking stuffers or Hanuka gifts - you can always use more.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

2x reading glasses.  I do all my model work with reading glasses on.

If you can make it look good with the reading glasses on, then it will look good on the shelf and in pictures.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 AM
ausf

ORIGINAL: mustclime

a candle to make plastic workable/ bendable, a butain torch for shrink sleeves.....a good sodtering iron with different tips.

I just got a Kendai SMD soldering station for $88 shipped on ebay. It has a heating element with blower for shrink tubes and desoldering, but with all the tips, it's perfect for softening plastic too. It's also the best multi purpose soldering system I've had, full digital temp control, etc. It's goes up to 500 degrees and I've used it for making schurzen and frame out of brass when I thought I'd be torching it.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
ausf

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

2x reading glasses. I do all my model work with reading glasses on.

If you can make it look good with the reading glasses on, then it will look good on the shelf and in pictures.

This is a good point. An Optivisor is a great investment and if you do a lot of work under magnification (I do) a Zeiss headloupe is indespensible.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Pah co chu puk

I have an OptiVisor too.  And a 10x hand loup.

I used to be a jeweler so I have all those tools as well as now I'm a building contractor so I have all the usual jobsite construction tools.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Pah co chu puk

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

I have an OptiVisor too. And a 10x BOREL hand loup.
I used to be a jeweler so I have all those tools as well as now I'm a building contractor so I have all the usual jobsite construction tools.

LOL wonder how I did that...

Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Panther G

Metric is the way to go. most after market parts and hardwhare come in metric sizes so it only makes sense to get used to using it. all of Tamiya's kits and hard whare is metric.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.