Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What is the value of an El Mod set up?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What is the value of an El Mod set up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the value of an El Mod set up?

Have one of the earlier El Mod systems that was installed in Tiger 211 for a short time then removed with plans for installation in a now cancelled project. If memory serves, it consists of a TLS, Booster, Blaster, Drive and a great speaker that I got from Phil and I made a custom wooden box for fitment in Tiger 211. Going to pull it and a bunch of other stuff out later for photographs.

What do you think it's worth?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM
thecommander

Default RE: What is the value of an El Mod set up?

I'm plan on insalling an El Mod system in the Strumtiger project I am working on.I've been watching these systems progress for quite awhile and they had indeed come far. I attended the Can-Am battleday in Ontario over the summer. I was quite shocked to see that I had the only Tamiya tank there. We fought just like it was a NEAD or Danville event. I was throughly impressed with the realism and possibilities of ElMod. I like the Tamiya systems very much, but I want something extra that I can customize and experiment with. I want something different than what everyone else has. I really am looking forward to the wide variety of sounds that it can produce. I'd really like to ge the reloading sounds of the guns.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60667.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1814191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64961.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1814192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87560.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1814193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71310.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1814194  
Old 10-23-2012, 12:58 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, I have been telling you for a long time that ElMod is an excellent system. Too many guys are stuck on the Tamiya stuff, and unwilling to check into something else. When they are set up correctly, they work amazing. The ability to tweak the parameters through the softwars gives the system an edge over anything out there. It is the most realistic driving you can have in 1/16 tanks. When you're ready to try it, I will help you out.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM
tsull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to holler about the DB3/TBS system. With the new Servo Elevation control and Recoil system along with the great inertia and other effects of the DB3 - and complete customization via your PC PLUS the ability to tie in other servo impulses to sound effects - I'm really excited about the possibilities.

Dan has been great to work with. As we all know - great systems AND support are essential to this hobby. Plus, he's been able to lower the price of the DB3 to compete with the new Clarke board.

I have the system plugged into an IPad speaker that has a built in Amplifier. It sound incredible and the amp and speaker were ony $20 (I'll put a dual Ihome IPOD speaker system in with the build in amps plus plug in my Iphone to play tunes during breaks - one great boom box - so too speak*).

I'm fairly new to tanking and have not had the opportunity to try the El Mod system. I'm hoping to try it out sometime.

tjs

Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Have one of the earlier El Mod systems that was installed in Tiger 211 for a short time then removed with plans for installation in a now cancelled project. If memory serves, it consists of a TLS, Booster, Blaster, Drive and a great speaker that I got from Phil and I made a custom wooden box for fitment in Tiger 211. Going to pull it and a bunch of other stuff out later for photographs.

What do you think it's worth?
Sorry to hear of your situation.

The New El Mod has been simplified so the older El MOD are .......................older. Does this work off a hobby radio or a Heng Long Radio? I am guessing you could sell the whole works for somewhere between $120-150

Bob

El Mod and the Benedini open up the possibilities of custom sounds and are really a hobby in themselves. I have customers who really enjoy the whole aspect of programming their tanks to be unique from everyone else.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 PM
yellowshaker

I agree with Dan. All of these systems have there place. Some gys want an entry level system, some want all the bells and whistles. The programmable capabilities are what set some aprt from others. There are always going to be die hard fans of one or another, but variety is the spice of life, they say.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 AM
swathdiver

ORIGINAL: YHR

Does this work off a hobby radio or a Heng Long Radio? I am guessing you could sell the whole works for somewhere between $120-150
This was successfully run with the Heng Long radio and TK-RX-13 board with 480 motors as described on the Tiger 211 build page.

Thanks Dan!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:33 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

So does this system not use a hobby radio then?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 AM
yellowshaker

Apparently not. This appears to be the old style that was used with the stock HL raadio gear.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Glen B

ORIGINAL: thecommander

I'm plan on insalling an El Mod system in the Strumtiger project I am working on.I've been watching these systems progress for quite awhile and they had indeed come far. I attended the Can-Am battleday in Ontario over the summer. I was quite shocked to see that I had the only Tamiya tank there. We fought just like it was a NEAD or Danville event. I was throughly impressed with the realism and possibilities of ElMod. I like the Tamiya systems very much, but I want something extra that I can customize and experiment with. I want something different than what everyone else has. I really am looking forward to the wide variety of sounds that it can produce. I'd really like to ge the reloading sounds of the guns.
Just wanted to clear up something, the 4 "cats" in the second picture on the left, the T34 and the KT on the right (one of the 4 "cats"in the group shot) are equipped with SLU's.

I know that because the "cats" are mine

Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
yellowshaker

LOL! Good looking cats, they are too.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Glen B

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

LOL! Good looking cats, they are too.
Thanks

My name is Glen B, and I have a cat addiction

Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM
yellowshaker

LOL!!! I undertsand. Welcome to the club, Glen. We all have the same addiction here. there is no shame in it.  I have found that the best way to face it, is to buy more tanks.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 PM
swathdiver

Mine happens to be the version that uses the stock board and radio. Kept costs down and worked great!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

So Glen how do the SLU's compare to Tamiya in IR battle? The reason I ask is that I have a Panzer III/IV SLU that I plan on using in a StuG III G or Panzer IV.