Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya's Two Tiger versions?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya's Two Tiger versions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Tamiya's Two Tiger versions?

Since I almost swallowed my tongue seeing the price of the JS-2, I have to resort to the poor man's tamiya (a tiger) well most likely. My question is which one would be better? The newer version has some detail parts, mantlet, metal barrel, but it say's it is modeled after North Africa. My plan is to do something along the lines of a "winter" effect.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya's Two Tiger versions?

Well we're glad you survived the incident of losing your tongue!! Gesh.

Why bother with a choice? Get 'em both and you'll have 2 for the price of a JS-2?

~ Jeff
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Rebellion13

lol. I have been going back and forth on a tamiya for a year now ugh. I have even contemplated utilizing the two HL tigers I have- asiatam lower, 3:1 gears, clark board metal this and that but when it was all said an done it came to around $470 incl. shipping might as well cut my losses on those and go for the tammy.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Panther F

To be honest... once you go Tamiya, you'll never go back.

I have a HL KV-1 with a JUWA KV-85 turret I plan to install. The JS-2 and the KV-122 will look so sweet side-by-side.

~ Jeff
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Rebellion13

To be honest... once you go Tamiya, you'll never go back

That's what I am afraid of . I have the Tamiya King hauler which I am using for a duece and half build (which has stalled [&o]) goes together really well, the instructions are superb the quality is second to none. Just wondering if I get the newer version tiger and model it after the european campaigns will the rivet counters come out of the woodwork and tell me the mantlet is incorrect lol.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it's just a FO version of Tamiya's 1/16 Tiger I static kit #36203 with an aluminum barrel and photoetch grills, so it should have both style mantlets and air cleaners.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM
streetsquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buckeye,
That is correct - 98% of the kit is identical. The RC kit (56010) is molded in grey styrene and comes with all the electronics. The static kit (36203) was identical except it was molded in tan styrene and came with one additional sprue - the "K" sprue. That sprue contained all the peices necessary to make it an early DAK Tiger 1. The sprue contained a different mantlet, the commander was in a DAK uniform, it had the early desert (round canister) feifle air cleaners, and hinges and interior hatch detail to make the radio operator and driver's hatches on the front hull operational. There may have been a few other small detail parts, I think it also had a dozen wing nuts molded on it. Way back when I build my DAK Tiger in 2006, you could still order the "K" sprue directly from Tamiya mail order for about $35 bucks which is what I did. Then they stopped selling the static kit and the "K" sprue altogether.

This "new release" is the same kit as the old one (56010) with the K sprue, the PE grills and turned aluminum barrel added.

Wade, if I were you I would look on line and see what it would cost for aftermarket grills and the barrel, if it is less than the difference between the 2 Tamiya kits, I would go for the 56010, and buy the PE and barrel aftermarket. I bet it will probably be about the same price, but the 56010 kit will be molded in grey and the detail parts will be more accurate to a Tiger in Europe. But if you decide to go that route you won't get the hinges and details for the working front hatches. If that is important to you, then go with the newer release because that's the only way you gonna get them without going with expensive aftermarket metal ones.

I've included a few pics of my Tiger under contruction with the "K" sprue parts so you can easily see the difference in the canister stye air filters and the DAK commander. I don't know if the new release contains both style mantlets and air cleaners but it would make sense. Those parts were on the G and H sprues which contain a lot of other pieces - so you should still get those PLUS the K sprue with the DAK details

I hope this helps at least a little!

Streetsquid
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31288.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1843764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19755.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1843765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86356.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1843766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47996.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1843767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22404.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1843768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84310.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1843769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16191.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1843770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67419.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1843771  

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

beautiful job on that Tiger Streetsquid i have been thinking about selling a few of my tanks and getting a Tamiya myself i like my T-34's so i will keep them and i like my M16 halftrack that i'm fixing but it be nice to have one Tamiya
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
streetsquid

Airbrushler,
Thank you! That was my very first RC tank build, and that is now the basis of my Strumtiger you've seen in my current build thread! That Tiger 1 was a little long in the tooth and in need of an overhaul. Can't tell you how impressed I've been with Tamiya's products, and I have to agree with Panther F, once you build your first Tamiya - you'll never go back. I think this Sturm is my 9th Tamiya based vehicle.

Kindest regards,
Squid
Old 01-24-2013, 05:28 AM
ausf

I noticed the 56010 was listed as discontinued on the Tamiya USA site. That freaked me out a bit.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: ausf

I noticed the 56010 was listed as discontinued on the Tamiya USA site. That freaked me out a bit.

Why? It's an old number now.

~ Jeff
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM
ausf

ORIGINAL: Panther F

ORIGINAL: ausf

Why? It's an old number now.

~ Jeff
It's like an old friend.

I'll always have a soft spot for that kit, for me it's what put 1/16 RC armor on the map. Their M4 is an old 70's mold at heart, but 56010 was beautiful and groundbreaking.

Yes, it's basically still available with other sprues, cast in a different color, but it's not the same...

Rosebud...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Rebellion13

The newer version is only $40 more then the older, and I was looking around on the tamiya website, they do not have the manual online but they do have the parts listing. It appears that this does come with the original mantlet, also it looks like this comes with bearings too. So it is a savings when compared to purchasing these items separately (metal barrel, grills,bearings).

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM
mustclime

Have to say, I like the late tiger 1's more than the early tanks.....they just look meaner to me and I like the wheels more......

great site for tiger tanks....

http://www.tiif.de/

There were so few tigers and king tigers made, you would think that we could all get togather and make one of each. It would be very cool for a club to field whole platoons of tanks in the same units with the correct markings, paintand trim....

I always liked this unit....Fehrmann-Tiger

http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?thread...d6b2bc6ea1ec93

just because the tanks were so strange.....
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Rustytrax

Those bearings would be the solid metal ones not the sealed ones though... right?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Rebellion13

Just says metal bearings...... So I would not think they are sealed.