Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Any one else using lipo batteries

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Any one else using lipo batteries

Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any one else using lipo batteries

i've had great luck with lipo's 2s2.1a10c batteries. but if after i use a lipo i switch back to a Nicad/NiMH it has to set for five minutes with no battery. or it wount react to the new battery. anyone with the same or similar outcomes?

Nicad = 1.4v/cell x 6 = 8.4v max
Nicad = 1.2v/cell x 6 = 7.2v min

lipo = 4.2v/cell x 2 = 8.4v max
lipo = 3.7v/cell x 2 = 7.4v min

Joe
Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Any one else using lipo batteries

Hi Joe, Take a look at this post....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11016253
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lipos have many advantages over other batteries but due to higher prices as well as high maintenance both in charging and discharging, the need in tanks is limited.

I use them in AC and my Kettenkrad (for space only) but don't find them needed in 10-14 lbs slow moving vehicles.

Fire hazards aside (which are very real), I don't want to deal with storage voltages, etc. It's easier to run a tank until it stops with NiCad or NiMH. Run a lipo down and it's done. Even the low priced planes and helis have low voltage cutoffs to guard against it, but I don't believe any Tamiya or HL hardware has that feature.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
DirtyBird69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope I stick with good ol nimh...Lipos are too much money and require specialized stuff to rum em...I'd only use them if I was extremely limited on space....
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Patski

never had any problems running 2S lipos in my tanks, got some lipo alarms for cheap on Deal Extreme and they bip when the voltage is low...and for me, lipos doesnt really high maintenance, it mostly mean good power until the end...for me it's not harder to maintain a lipo than a nimh...
Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
paladin

Thanks guys, I gave up alcohol 3 years ago. No, not drinking it, burning it. So all my planes have been electric since then. I also shoot (please whisper when you say that in your head cause I’m from NY), and well they tell me these things can be quite exciting if punctured so I had to see. I’ve shot 6s, 5s, 4s, and 3s; ive shot them as fully charged as possible(for a bad battery) and dead. Here is what I noticed:
- When the plastic around the ribbon is punctured it holds its shape. The heat from the battery going off does not expand the size of the opening or melt the plastic exposing more ribbon thus preventing a runaway.
- The amount of charge left in the battery definitely contributes to the zeal of the flair up. A well charged battery will go off like a Roman Candle with lots of zeal but just through the puncture hole. A dead battery will sit there and smolder for hours but no Roman Candle affect at all.
- When one cell is punctured it will not open up the next, further limiting runaway.
- A 22lr will only penetrate 1.5 cells, to give an idea of the power required to puncture. Same bullet will go klean through the 1.75 in thick side of a 2x4 and through the 3.5 in side most of the time. Because of this I put foam on all the sides of my lipo carrying box because it is most likely the constant rubbing of vibration(like a lipo left in the box in the car for years that will cause the cover to fail.
- Lastly some of the low charged batteries would smolder for hours. Needing to make them safe I figured salt water is the thing that kills the ribbon so I poured gatoraid in the opening until the cell was full. It boiled away three times before the battery was “inert”. The next time out I brought salt water and that worked very well. That does not mean that salt water will work with a battery that is going off like a Roman Candle. My shooting budy is a flame tamer, and ARF trained (Aircraft fire and rescue) and green carded. The process we have adopted is remove all combustibles from the area as possible and wait for the zeal to diminish then use salt water to make the battery safe for removal (with a shoval of coarse).

The thing that I like about lipo’s in tanks is that I can charge a 2.1amp pack at 4.2 amps and the battery is back in service ready to use in 40 minutes. So two batteries will keep a tank running all day long non stop.

Joe
Old 04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

I've been using Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePo4) for about 3 years now and have never looked back. Very low fire danger, and they're cheaper than NiMH.  They weigh about 1/2 of what NiMH do, charge super fast, and don't lose their charge from heat or storage.  Any modern charger will charge them up (last 3 years or so...)

Lipos are also nice (much smaller, higher power, and less weight), just follow their rules. 

I normally plug in a low voltage alarm when storing them to prevent killing any batteries. 
Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Ronan87

I have run lipo's in airsoft guns, r/c cars, planes, boats and never had a single issue.

I use a $50 charger that balances the cells + charges them.

I have NOT run them in my tanks for 1 reason: I haven't tried :P
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM
paladin

I use a accucel 6 that the power jack broke in so i removed it and soldered the wires dirrectly to the board. think i payed 16 bucks + shipping from china so 22 bucks. it comes out to a deans, witch is in most of my planes then i have a pig tail that goes from deans to tamya. i have 4 batteries and they will keep my grandson, son & I going all day at mall the mall show. I never considered thay were lighter.

Joe