Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sug/Pz iii - how many variants?!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sug/Pz iii - how many variants?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 AM
vonmarshall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sug/Pz iii - how many variants?!

Hi all

I wondered if I could get some advice and insight.

I recently completed my Tamiya King Tiger and am looking to get myself a smaller tank for frequent running.

I have always loved the Stug and Panzer iii but Tamiya do not make one, so I have been looking at my alternative options.

So far i have found Heng Long, Mato, AsiaTam, Taigen and I am suffering from option overload combined with information underload!

I would love it if somebody could explain the differences between all of these manufacturers and give some insight into your preferences.

For clarification I look for the following in my tanks:

a) I love building kits so am happy if there is work to do
b) I run on my own in my garden so battle-ready is not important
c) I am a bit of a perfectionist and enjoy accurate detailing and high quality mouliding / casting etc

Looking forward to learning something.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Heng Long, but that was basically just as a StuG shape. I ended up reinforcing the hull, correcting the return roller height, adding a sound system, adding zim and a bunch of other stuff.

Here's a thread if you want to see it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-complete.html

StuGs are great if you want to add a bunch of stowage. If you really want to use Tamiya, you could get a Pz IV and use an aftermarket upper like the Lang.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Green Amphibian

For my StuG I got a used HL with Tamy electronics and modified it with better gearboxes, motors and external details including shurtzen and working convoy light.

Herman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Stug016.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1939260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stug019.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	1939261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stug021.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	1939262  
Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by Green Amphibian
For my StuG I got a used HL with Tamy electronics and modified it with better gearboxes, motors and external details including shurtzen and working convoy light.

Herman
Really like your Stug Herman... any photos of the electrics? Did you use Tamiya motor/gearboxes for the elvation and recoil?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 AM
vonmarshall

Anybody got any experience with the Asiatam, Taigen or Mato ones?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Green Amphibian

Vonmarshall, I used the HL elevation unit and servo recoil. For motive power I used low profile steel geared HL gearboxes with 400 motors. I added metal tracks, suspension, and road wheels, along with track adjusters.

Herman
Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

still waiting in the wings to be worked on haven't had the chance yet for my HL Stug IR version

Name:	PDR_2684.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	935.6 KB
ID:	1941983  
Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by Green Amphibian
Vonmarshall, I used the HL elevation unit and servo recoil. For motive power I used low profile steel geared HL gearboxes with 400 motors. I added metal tracks, suspension, and road wheels, along with track adjusters.

Herman
Thanks for that Herman.

How easy is it to use the Tamiya DMD/MF units with HL fittings? Do they connects easily?

Thanks

Noel
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Mato metal Stug is nice with Torsion bar suspension, and all the hatches opening. However because it is made of metal it makes bashing it more of an adventure.

Name:	P1010897.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1942033   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT111_-1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1942034   Click image for larger version

Name:	2IMG_7091.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1942035  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by YHR
The Mato metal Stug is nice with Torsion bar suspension, and all the hatches opening. However because it is made of metal it makes bashing it more of an adventure.
I am loving the all metal Stug... I know there are lots of reasons not to get one... but I think I may just have to anyway! Thanks for that photo showing the underside of the upper-hull. Are those connectors HL ones? If so, are they compatable with Tamiya DMD/MFU?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

No, you would have to change to the Tamiya connectors.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by MAUS45
No, you would have to change to the Tamiya connectors.
Is that pretty easy? Do the wires all line up and you just need new connectors or is it more complex than that? Reason I ask is I have the DMD/MFU from a Tamiya Pz iv I want to use.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Green Amphibian

Most of the connections are easy to change Some of the turret IR connections are challenging if you stay with HL gear and do not change to Tamyia stuff. I changed to Tamyia except for the elevation.

Herman
Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Panther G

Everything needs to be converted to the Tamiya connections. The HL's are not wired the same. The easiest way to do it is just use Tamiya elevation, traverse and recoil mechanisms. then everything will just plug in.
Personally i would get a TK22 board from Clarke models. Everything will then just plug into the HL points and all be Tamiya compatible. then all you would really need to do is upgrade the gear boxes. The HL PzIII suspension is pretty good OTB so you dont really need to upgrade anything there. But there are tons of options for that. that is what makes the HL PzIII /Stug one of the best tanks on the market as far as I'm concerned. So many possibilities for it.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:59 AM
vonmarshall

Originally Posted by Panther G
The easiest way to do it is just use Tamiya elevation, traverse and recoil mechanisms. then everything will just plug in.
I have never seen the HL elevation / traverse / recoil... do they have the same attachment points as Tamiya ones or would I need to do a lot of modification?

Personally i would get a TK22 board from Clarke models. Everything will then just plug into the HL points and all be Tamiya compatible.
I was looking at these... they look great but I am struggling to find out how easy they are to get going. I love building but electrics go straight over my head, hence my tendency to stick with Tamiya's fail-safe set-up.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Panther G

I always used Tamiya electronics for custom set up's too because they were a simple plug and play when you converted everything to accept the Tamiya connections. Most of which are just simple JST plugs but the TK 22 boards come with all standard HL connectors so for a new HL conversion these really are a plug and play operation. You can custom control the system with a Sony remote to set up special functions but it is not totally needed. you can simply plug the boards into the proper motors and off you go so it is a very easy way to get Hobby grade function and 2.4 reliability with out spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars for Tamiya electronics and the TK22 is Tamiya battle system ready so you can fight other Tamiya tanks easily.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vonmarshall
I was looking at these... they look great but I am struggling to find out how easy they are to get going. I love building but electrics go straight over my head, hence my tendency to stick with Tamiya's fail-safe set-up.
TK-22s are VERY easy to set up, all you need are HL connectors and everything else is pretty much plug and play. I wrote a set-up tutorial in one of my build threads, it's on Clark's site for easier access:

http://www.clark-model.com/eng/index_e.html --> click on "TK22 Tutorial" on the left navigation bar.

Last edited by Captain Nemo12; 11-28-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 AM
vonmarshall

I always used Tamiya electronics for custom set up's too because they were a simple plug and play when you converted everything to accept the Tamiya connections. Most of which are just simple JST plugs but the TK 22 boards come with all standard HL connectors so for a new HL conversion these really are a plug and play operation. You can custom control the system with a Sony remote to set up special functions but it is not totally needed. you can simply plug the boards into the proper motors and off you go so it is a very easy way to get Hobby grade function and 2.4 reliability with out spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars for Tamiya electronics and the TK22 is Tamiya battle system ready so you can fight other Tamiya tanks easily.
Thanks for that... very helpful

Originally Posted by Captain Nemo12
TK-22s are VERY easy to set up, all you need are HL connectors and everything else is pretty much plug and play. I wrote a set-up tutorial in one of my build threads, it's on his site for easier access:
http://www.clark-model.com/eng/index_e.html --> click on "TK22 Tutorial" on the left navigation bar.
Great link.. many thanks!