Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Flanged bearinngs on HL gearboxes?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Flanged bearinngs on HL gearboxes?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM
DirtyBird69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flanged bearinngs on HL gearboxes?

Just wondering as I've heard of a few members that have installed flanged bearings on their HL gearboxes in place of the OEM bushings. If so what size is needed and maybe a good place to buy them?
thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Unfortunately you haven't got a response I see, perhaps mine will trigger more.

I looked into this before, if you have some dial calipers, measure the shaft diameter and the diameter of the hole the bushings are in.

There might be some variation in shaft diameter (someone else will have to comment on that) of the various HL gearboxes, that I don't know for certain.

Plenty of vendors on ebay, and if you go here http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...&CategorySet=1, with ID and OD measurements from your existing gearbox, you should be able to narrow down what size you need handily. As sloppy as most of the HL stuff appears to be, something very close vs. exact would probably work just as well if not better than the bushings already there.

Only issue I see cropping up is how you will retain the bearings in the gearbox. Nothing really easy comes to mind, but I tend to over-think/over-engineer my solutions. You might be able to get away with no retention if they are a slight press fit?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM
DirtyBird69

Yeah that's what I was thinking...Also wanted to know if anyone has come up with the basic shim sizes needed for the HL gearbox?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 AM
dyeager535

Curious as to what kind of shims you mean? To shim the actual drive gears and keep them aligned properly?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:48 PM
DirtyBird69

Yeah..

Originally Posted by DirtyBird69 View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking...Also wanted to know if anyone has come up with the basic shim sizes needed for the HL gearbox?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:56 PM
dyeager535

For size not sure. Wonder if some nylon washers could be used, they would provide less friction than steel on steel.

Nylon would be pretty easy to cut/drill to desired ID though. Finding proper thickness might be a different story.

Can't believe more aren't jumping in with suggestions...I'm curious as well, reasonably priced bearings for the gearbox shafts were on my to-do list as well. Then again, the gears themselves exhibit considerable slop on the shaft anyway.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 AM
DeadTom

Just saw this post, here is another company I have dealt with for many years for bearings for my CNC mahcines.
Bearings of all shapes sizes and useages even ceramic bearings

http://www.vxb.com/