Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Wargaming is restoring the Maus

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wargaming is restoring the Maus

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wargaming is restoring the Maus

Wargaming, aka the world of tanks dev, in cooperation with kubinka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O56OvuIQ7w
I think this is very exciting.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM
billinmillstonenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coooool
Old 04-11-2014, 01:10 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, That will be something!!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM
thecommander

Can I get a running Maus in 1/16 please....
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by thecommander
No kidding! They can restore one but cant mass produce one in 16 scale? lol
Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Frantz70

It was absurd when resources were put into building it the first time and its ridiculous to rebuild it now.

What they should restore

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	237bb5b2e034.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1986154  
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 AM
Onondaga

This is exciting to say the least. I would assume it will be a 5-10 year process and I'll even guess at the price $15-20 million, that could be on the low end if they build a new wing at Kubinka for it. Hopefully they will make an information rich blog to follow like The Tank Museum's restoration of the Tiger I. Maybe Hooben will reconsider making the 1/16 scale model now!!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:00 PM
DirtyBird69

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYVmn2LJAc
Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe this will launch interest in a 1/16 kit?

Either that or a good Jagdtiger!

Jeff
Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM
TheBennyB

What does "Wargamming" know about restoration? Yes Kubinka does, just see Wargamming pull the plug when the bill comes in. Don't see them throwing $$$$ at a small niche tank to restore in the long run. Would be very interesting, but guessing this will bog down after some well done promo's for "world of."
Also don't like the verbage of "reproducing." Could just be translation or their gonna build this tank from some old hulls and turret laying around the back swamp.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 04-12-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Martellus

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
What does "Wargamming" know about restoration? Yes Kubinka does, just see Wargamming pull the plug when the bill comes in. Don't see them throwing $$$$ at a small niche tank to restore in the long run. Would be very interesting, but guessing this will bog down after some well done promo's for "world of."
Also don't like the verbage of "reproducing." Could just be translation or their gonna build this tank from some old hulls and turret laying around the back swamp.

They have been funding museums for quite a while,

They did a t-34 restoration recently

They funded an expedition to find supposed lost spitfires in burma

Since the current maus is basically an empty shell, I can imagine why they are calling it reproducing, as that is what they will be doing to the entirety of the internals
Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Martellus

They funded an expedition to find supposed lost spitfires in burma

Since the current maus is basically an empty shell, I can imagine why they are calling it reproducing, as that is what they will be doing to the entirety of the internals
Cool, unaware of the other restorations, have links to those? Not trying to poo poo on it, just seem to smell an ongoing ad.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Martellus

here is their t-34 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ARy-2oyfMo

there are a bunch of articles on the burma spitfires, dunno about videos http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-21483187
Old 04-13-2014, 02:19 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=TheBennyB;11781599" Could just be translation or their gonna build this tank from some old hulls and turret laying around the back swamp.[/QUOTE]

It’s doubtful there are any parts available for the Maus only 2 were completed then blown up by the Germans in Germany, the Russians captured these tanks just before they won WWII, the Maus you see today is a combination of the two destroyed tanks furthermore a facility (can’t remember which) was captured by the British this contained parts for a further five Maus, it’s highly improbable that any parts remain other than what you see at Kublinka, WOT have donated a lot of cash to tank museums by using something called Google you will be able to find the projects they have been involved with
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Martellus

Restoring a T-34 or funding a field trip isn't anything like rebuilding a machine for which there's nothing available. I can't say I've ever seen the exact
cost to accomplish any of the major restorations we've seen but there's a popular belief that Littlefield's Panther restoration cost $2.5 million.He told
me directly that just to rebuild the suspension (road wheels, hubs and perhaps torsion bars ) cost more than $200k alone - I include torsion bars but at the time I was told
"200k to rebuild the wheels".

I can't imagine what it would cost to make the Maus run. There can't be any original parts around so I have to believe they'll use what ever works.

Jerry
Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Martellus

I guess they would just have to reproduce the originals from scratch using old plans
Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I think this is a wonderful cooperation project, both will benifit. Kubinka will get throngs of visitors (and donations) and WOT will get an infuse of cross-over players.

This is the same impact as Bovington restoring the Tiger I back in 2004 and fielding it in parade ever since.

If this project pulls off, there will be a Maus in regular production kit form and sell like hot cakes!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by heavyaslead
IKubinka will get throngs of visitors (and donations)
From what I've read and heard I'm not sure Kubinka wants throngs of visitors. I have not visited their
website lately but the last time I did they didn't seem overly inviting, especially to model builders.

" * Any attempts of the citizens of NO Russian Federation (including former-USSR) to visit museum with the Russian visitors could be qualified as the UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS. The violator could be accused in the ESPIONAGE. In all halls there're the video-camera control and the FSB (former KGB) officials. Any attempts to leave your travel agent representative and to visit the next military instantiation area could be qualified as the unauthorized access too.
** Please, read carefully this information for the model makers and journalists.
  • The Russian military officials DO NOT LIKE the model makers (the regular violators of the museum rules)
  • Russian tank museum rules let make the USUAL NON-PROFESSIONAL photo- or VIDEO camera with YOU and the VEHICLE as the background ONLY.
  • Camera is qualified as PROFESSIONAL with any glass (non-plastic) lens more that 10 mm diameter.
  • Usage the non-authorized or non-specializing travel agency for the tank museum tour could be the reason why you can not visit the military museum
  • Any attempt to HIDE your model maker photo- (video-) aim could be the reason of your withdraw from your current and other military museums
"

We're just misunderstood aren't we?

Jerry
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL Jerry,

Money changes political positions, even in Russia.

Sounds like old Soviet Union rules, just a disclaimer to arrest for any reason, not uncommon IMO for a military installation.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thecommander
bob....I could build you one for about 2200 + tamiya guts.....the hard part is the wheels and tracks .....and getting the gear boxes to work in the 72mm wide hull....I think I have that figured out though.....
Old 05-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Onondaga

Oh you just gotta love some Tank Drama in Russia. Seems they don't exactly have a free press over there! There is an article saying basically Maus is not going to be restored any time soon(!!!) And then a follow up article saying well we kinda will get around to it sometime... Sorry if the first link doesn't work, you can access both from the 2nd link.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/05/12/k...toration-hype/

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/05/12/k...tion-followup/
Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Martellus

Hmm. Kinda disappointing that a situation like this could occur in the first place because some idiots could act like that. I hope it stays on track.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Tanque

Did anyone ever ask how they define 'restore'?

Hopefully it's not the same way Aberdeen 'restored' their Elefant

Jerry
Old 05-17-2014, 08:23 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I get the impression this will be a full running restoration as opposed to the cosmetic restoration the elegant had
Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Problem with restoring this tank to running order is it will require x2 Pz IV engines coupled to the x2 electric drives that the Maus had, as the Maus was blown up the electric drives may be completely destroyed or missing completely, I know War Gaming has vastly deep pockets but as with everything there are limits as to what they will spend, a fully running Maus may be too much only time will tell.