Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Battle System Question

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YHR
That was some good discussion back then.

My conical mirrors had terrible range limitations. I could not find a reflective enough paint. They worked at removing the 45 degree defense though. However I never did give up on the idea, and just this past weekend I bought a bag full of mirrored cones at a craft store for about $1.00. I will mod a Tamiya sensor with one of these and see what happens. The mirrored surface on these looks well done, so the range shouldn't suffer much.

However that discussion took place 3 years ago, and how much have we modified game play? There in lies the problem. "Don't fix what ain't broken". Guys are having fun with the system as it is. Simple to host, and police. Make it too complicated and it just gets hard to gain any traction. I know the Danville guys are using Dana's Idea of rotating the prism 45 degrees to stop all the tanks running around with their turret at 45 Degree to the enemy, which probably helps with the fan shot as well, Part of the defensive maneuver is to get your turret back to 45 degrees after you take your shot, so this tactic for defense also results in the dreaded fan shot.

There are a lot of Clark units on the market now, but I bet in most cases they are set to work just like Tamiya.
Let us know how the cone goes. I would love to eliminate the 45 degree and slope defense inherent in the Tamiya design. But for now we work around it. We discussed rotating the cone at Danville over 8 years ago but saw few benefits. How with the proliferation of TDs and many HEAT guys buying Jagdpanthers (and such variants) it was revisited and worked out well. As for the notorious fan shot or sweep shot it was eliminated years ago. Many of the ultra competitive tankers were unhappy but soon realized that they still had fun without it. We had a gentleman's agreement and it has been followed ever since. Much to the delight of RC tankers who wanted realism over wins. Come see for yourself. We have a great time
Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thecommander;11797832I
would love to eliminate the 45 degree and slope defense inherent in the Tamiya design. But for now we work around it.
Seriously? I don't mean that sarcastically, but are you serious?

I thought the big flaw that everyone hates about the 4 sensor apple was no 45 defense or slope. I have apple designs that use one sensor and take hits from every imaginable angle. Most of the time spent prototyping is creating the 45 and slope.

I finally cracked the nut and should have something ready to go in a week or so (waiting on a second shipment of electronics). If you really want something that will take directional hits in brilliant sunshine without 45/slope, I could have put that in your hands the first day I met you.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ausf
Seriously? I don't mean that sarcastically, but are you serious?

I thought the big flaw that everyone hates about the 4 sensor apple was no 45 defense or slope. I have apple designs that use one sensor and take hits from every imaginable angle. Most of the time spent prototyping is creating the 45 and slope.

I finally cracked the nut and should have something ready to go in a week or so (waiting on a second shipment of electronics). If you really want something that will take directional hits in brilliant sunshine without 45/slope, I could have put that in your hands the first day I met you.
LOL Jeff. It is easily done, but I cannot get the rest of the RC tankers to agree to it. Remove the apple fins (they are not really needed indoors) and install the cone reflector. It took years of growing complaints by dozens of us at Danville to resolve the fan shot issue...finally. Far too many guys like the 45 degree...but it should not make a tank invulnerable. We do enjoy battling they way it is now so I will make do too. At the Cam-Am battles in Ontario I attended they have very few, if any, Tamiya apples, so to them slope defense if almost unheard of. ELmod DBU (with fins) and other systems. I had a Tamiya apple and if I had battled using my slope defense they would have had great trouble ever hitting me at anything other than point blank range. It would have given me a very unfair and ungentlemanly advantage over them. I probably would have been shown the door or even deported. They were great guys and I hope to go up there again this year.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon Nov 2012 283.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	1992779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon Nov 2012 284.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	1992780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon Nov 2012 285.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	1992781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon Nov 2012 287.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	1992782  
Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

In the Detroit Tank Command club that I'm a member in we do the 45 degree but if needed we just take the top off and turn the cone back to original spot .

Jimmy