Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Query: what qualifies an R/C as a 'tank' (for forum discussion/posting reasons...)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Query: what qualifies an R/C as a 'tank' (for forum discussion/posting reasons...)

Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Query: what qualifies an R/C as a 'tank' (for forum discussion/posting reasons...)

Guys/Gals,

Goit a few new toys, and gotta ask... since we have more than the literal 'tank' incarnations here, including armored cars, jeeps, trucks mounting weapons and even w/o, and other military vehicles.

What qualifies a vehicle to be discussed here? I have another 6x6 swamper, the Reely 'Kaiman' 6x6 version, like new, tires not even glued to rims, body unpainted, and it needs a tad of tweaking. Will help me complete the other 1.5+ others I have. But if the body is done up as a military vehicle, would it be considered like the Brit Supacats are? Their SAS and others use the Supacats like the US uses the Chenoweth dundbuggies and modded M151's & Hummers. I hope to be able to let one, mebbe two of the trio go when they're tweaked.

Also have another 'vehicle' that's a bit more 'exotic' - a Lynxmotion T-Hex hexapod robot kit (with a buncha spares), bought used to safe a hunka cash, and the basic chassis was designed to make it ~look~ like an anime-type mecha. I hope to mount either an Airsoft BB gun system or a watergun on it... but it will be mecha-themed.\ I want to be able to carry/transport her on the Carson lowboy I got last year (Thanks Willy!) like the one on Youtube (look for the Mantis Hexapod)

See pics of Kåre Halvorsen's (aka Zenta) unit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dUPNYIs3Es

So, please chime in - and if you want me to take the beasties elsewhere, let me know.

WhiteWolf

( and would a 'combat-themed quad-rotor count, hm? Think like the SA-2 'Samson' from "Avatar")
Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think any military ground vehicle would qualify as a "tank". I've seen a few armored car and truck builds here and they are fantastic. As for quadrotors, RCU does have a multi-rotor section I think.

Personally I love mechs, I'm a big anime fan myself, the hexapod robots are very cool and I would love to see a military themed build here.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I had to look up just what a "Lynxmotion T-Hex hexapod robot" looked like. I dunno part of me likes new stuff but this is a forum for tanks, military type vehicles. I'm going out on a limb to
say I assume that means conventional, been used in a military somewhere type of thing.

That all said If someone wrote a build thread of their RC 1/10 Imperial Walker or Jawa Sand Crawler I probably wouldn't gripe either.

I want to say just post it, if there are folks that don't like it then they can go around the post however I'd hate to see the flood gates open the main
forum to all manner of off beat posts so perhaps in the lounge area?? This is the only RC military themed forum on RCU so could we keep
it on track?

New ideas and concepts can be good for getting us all thinking but I for one would like to keep this main forum for strictly tried and true military
vehicles.

Just my 2 cents.

Jerry
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Jerry...

Just being Devils Advocate for a sec here - (quote) " ... but I for one would like to keep this main forum for strictly tried and true military vehicles." (unquote)

That's a pretty loaded statement, short as it is... are you saying you are of the opinion that all these " What-If " vehicles and non-tanks (like the Lowe, Maus, and the Stude Katyusha a few threads down) should get their own sub-forum, and only ~tanks~ that can prove a legitimate historical heritage belong here? Is that a correct 'expansion' of your statement?

Yes, some would like to keep things here a certain way, but within certain specifications (which the Admin & Mods haven't made explicit) this forum allows a lot of militarily-themed R/C vehicles, not just 'tanks', yes?

Then again, those that do not consider certain threads ~appropriate~ for the area can always 'report' them. But then the Mods & Admin have to make the calls on what ~does~ belong, and I really don't want things to get that messy. Especially when posts get pulled, and then others counter-report... oy...

Hence my asking. Perhaps a poll on the subject?

WhiteWolf
_ asking as his 'combat mecha would like to belong - even if it cannot participate in official combat (at least in the "legitimate' classes...)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 PM
no12skyline

I was thinking that about the Paper Panzers. But RC Universe hosts a Robotics sub-forum as well - that is probably more suitable over there if your choice of toy is more mecha-related.

In my opinion, the definition of RC Tanks should remain where it is now - models of what we commonly call "tanks" in real life. Even if it was a paper panzer, there's really no misunderstanding what a tank is. I am happy to take it a couple of degrees off that, to include supporting elements such as self-propelled guns, amphibious vehicles because they still have tracks, or even a Kubelwagen, because it is an accessory to tanks.

But a robot kit, sorry. My opinion is that it is too far removed from a tank to belong in here.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride
Jerry...

Just being Devils Advocate for a sec here - (quote) " ... but I for one would like to keep this main forum for strictly tried and true military vehicles." (unquote)

That's a pretty loaded statement, short as it is... are you saying you are of the opinion that all these " What-If " vehicles and non-tanks (like the Lowe, Maus, and the Stude Katyusha a few threads down) should get their own sub-forum, and only ~tanks~ that can prove a legitimate historical heritage belong here? Is that a correct 'expansion' of your statement?

Yes, some would like to keep things here a certain way, but within certain specifications (which the Admin & Mods haven't made explicit) this forum allows a lot of militarily-themed R/C vehicles, not just 'tanks', yes?

Then again, those that do not consider certain threads ~appropriate~ for the area can always 'report' them. But then the Mods & Admin have to make the calls on what ~does~ belong, and I really don't want things to get that messy. Especially when posts get pulled, and then others counter-report... oy...

Hence my asking. Perhaps a poll on the subject?

WhiteWolf
_ asking as his 'combat mecha would like to belong - even if it cannot participate in official combat (at least in the "legitimate' classes...)
Well, your statement "So, please chime in - and if you want me to take the beasties elsewhere, let me know " left it wide open.

So I let my opinion be known.

"Paper Panzers" may be just that but they're still tanks.

I can see how this thread could easily degenerate into a heated debate so Ill just leave my statements as is.

Jerry
Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I suppose it is all about definitions, The inspiration for the "TANK" was the tracked equipped tractors used on the flood plains of Eastern England in the early 20th century. Or perhaps we might go with Armour which has a very long history long before mechanised equipment but you could also under the term "ARMOUR" include the A10 WARTHOG, equipped with a most efficient Tank busting cannon and extraordinarily well "ARMOURED", indeed you could say carrying out the same role as the "STUG" and other anti-armour tracked and wheeled vehicles of the second world war, It is an aircraft but it has the same job and is similarly equipped as a "STUG" and we model those quite happily, so what is it to be "FARM MACHINERY" or anything with armour This is a very dangerous subject you have suggested and I shall now head for the hills till it goes away. shaun
Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think the broad term 'tank' used here falls under militaria. Whether it's soft skins, armored cars or even military motorcycles, I'd be happy to see it.

"If it shoots or moves someone/thing that shoots."

I would think even a Steampunk type of design, something like Skynet's tanks or like Jerry said, an Imperial walker would work.

That said, if it doesn't float my boat, I just won't follow it, doesn't mean it's not worthy. I usually don't follow modern stuff either, but that doesn't mean it's doesn't belong or can't teach me something.

This place is about conversation of a topic we enjoy. The more we talk, the more we learn. Shutting out doesn't help anyone. If I posted pics of a Uboat here, it might interest someone and expose them to something new. Of course I'd be better off posting it under boats for my own benefit, but if I wanted to show my tanker comrades some work, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 AM
DirtyBird69

I agree, I think there should be a "Tanks" section, as well as perhaps a "Other tracked Vehicles" section....personally I love some of the sci-fi conversions others have done and am actually considering a project that I seen done only once but doing a few different things and going in a slightly different direction...or even as we had threaded quite some time back "Future Tanks". Short of getting a Challenger 2 when it comes out I'm definitely going to do something off the wall next project....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1428x990_3140_EDF_Medium_Battle_Tank_2d_sci_fi_tank_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	1991658   Click image for larger version

Name:	1650x1110_3117_EDF_Main_Battle_Tank_2d_sci_fi_tank_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	1991659   Click image for larger version

Name:	kv_mammoth.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1991660   Click image for larger version

Name:	10081018a.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	599.6 KB
ID:	1991661  
Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

Hmmm. Mebbe a bit more definitive, DB. How does this separation sound?

" Historical Tanks & Armor ", which would include Turret'd Armor (aka Tanks), Self-Propelled Arty (Priest/Abbot, StuG/StuH, and similar units) right down to Arrmored Cars (Like LAV-25's/Strikers and such), as long as they were a 'production' armored unit (the M3 halftrack variants don't, they weren't designed to be armored units or SP's) or otherwise well documented historically (like the Paper Panzers)

" Other Tanks, Armor, & Land Combat Vehicles " Which would encompass the others, from Jeeps & Kubelwagens, Deuces & ZIL's, assorted halftracks, to the ficticious " What-Ifs " of the Movies (Aliens APC & the Damnation Alley vehicle), other Sci-Fi Armor (Ogres, BOLO's, Halo armor, etc.), assorted Anime Armor (from Crusher Joe, Dougram, etc.) ~provided~ it was ground-only armor - aka Nothing that could take off under its own power, like a Veritech fighter-mech, and no personal (one-man) armor - no Maschinen Kreiger suits, BattleSuits, whatever.

If the Mods don't wish to further separate them, we could always do it by manually by Thread Header Labels) - (Historical Armor) or (Other Armor) (*then thread title*)

Then again, the easiest way would be putting what figurative armor 'classification' the thread covers in pre-title brackets, such as - " (Halo Armor) M850 'Grizzly' MBT build " (think this idea is the easiest solution for the die-hards)

Just tossing ideas... but not wanting to p*ss you guys off or start a 'war'... ok?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey WhiteWolf............

Why the heck does this have to get so complicated????? These are toys that chronologically mature males (mostly), who have disposable incomes, build and operate r/c AFVs to have fun and to play soldier. I admit that I just described myself, but if classifications and qualifications are implemented, 75% of the stuff that I have done will be deleted and I will be banned from the forum for eternity. In other words, I like it the way it is. Grrrrrrrrrrr !!!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be better to keep it together as the majority of people who make either, make both, or are interested in both
Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

I agree with you Rex... & Martellus.

But I did ask to ~try~ and avoid offending ~some~ when I hopefully post my soom to be displayed & video'd 1:16 scale armored walker... ~with~ a turret!

And yes... I'm also an older mature retired male (or hope to appear to be mature!) with enough disposable income to expend $600 for a used hexapod to use as a 'BattleMech' alongside my Leopard 2A6 and LAV's.

WhiteWolf
Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the occasional post about a members special project but as has been said this is a tank forum so we should stay on mission and leave the specials for special interest posts.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Tanque

I enjoy interesting mechanical things as well as the next guy.

I probably have violated the implied tanks only theme of this forum as much
as anyone. Still, I'm trying to be better.

At the end of the day it just matters what the forum following at large will
tolerate. Old grumps like me speak their mind while many either suffer in silence
or just stop following. Diversity isn't always a good thing.

No one or at best not many pay attention to what I post and I'm ok with it so
Wolf just go for it. If you spark folks' interest great stuff...

Jerry