Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New transmission from ETO Armor

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New transmission from ETO Armor

Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default New transmission from ETO Armor

I know I haven't been very active on RCU of late but that is changing. As some of you know, I have been redesigning a transmission system. After a large number of changes, the new systems are now available. The first three systems are all for Tamiya. Tiger 1, Tiger 2 and Sherman systems are ready to go.

The new systems will be simple to install and will require only two new holes in the hull floor. Stand offs for proper height are Tamiya style. Output shafts are one piece machined from high strength steel. The transmission frames are machined from aluminum alloy of exceptional strength, as are the supports for the final drive shafts. The transmission mounts are machined from the same high strength aluminum alloy as the main frame.

Over the next few days I will post how to install the new systems and how to locate the two extra holes needed for the King Tiger and Tiger 1. Coming up in the next week or two will be transmissions for Panther, KV and JS 2. Very shortly after that will be systems for Leo 1 and Gepard. It is possible that I will do Hooben Elefant and T55 systems after I do the Tamiya systems. I will also have a Tammy P4 lower hull sent in and do this new system for him also. All transmissions will have max road speed. For those of you who want max off road speed, this can be done at no extra charge.

While many of the detailed changes will be obvious to you who get the new systems, suffice it to say these transmissions will fit with zero modifications to the lower hull beyond the two extra holes in the floor. The systems were tested today and the King Tiger, for instance, has a top speed of 23.3 MPH. With 8 hits he will pull a 45 degree incline, move and turn in what passes for dirt in this rock garden, and will move and maneuver through thick grass that is 4" tall. The Tiger 1 has no fit problems at all, nor does the Sherman or King Tiger. Remember, I am an active tanker as is my wife and I'd rather spend the hours tanking and battling instead of 'fit this', 'file that', and 'what in the world is this for'.

Panther will be the most challenging but the modifications will be quite simple. In Panther the transmissions will be bolt in also, regardless of the tight fit at the lower hull nose. You will need to do nothing beyond the two extra holes in the hull floor.

Prices will be under $250.00. Electric motors are 480's, long cans, but for those of you who want 540 motors they will be available very shortly. At this time shipping will be from Moscow. You should allow 2 to 3 weeks shipping time. Within a month or so Bob in NJ will have some of the transmissions in stock for shipment to USA tankers. The transmissions will be on the ETO sight by Sunday at the latest in two locations, the actual tank section, for instance 'King Tiger', and the 'Electronics, transmissions and motors' section.

In other news, shortly I will post about developments at 35th Battery Museum in Sevastopol. VCO and I will start classes in mid August at Museum for children and teenagers (adults will also be welcome). The classes will be the history of all the tanks we have, construction of the actual Tamiya models and construction of the prototype, and design and construction of various village and town dwellings. We will start building a battlefield at Museum in September. Museum is obtaining more land, a considerable amount, and the battlefield will be built on the new land with all probability.

We are also doing a biweekly Tank Day at Museum. We take 4 tanks and run them on the huge plaza in front of the Memorial Hall of Museum. Children and adults are allowed supervised operation of the tanks. Over the weekend I will post photos of the last Tank Day. Suffice it to say the tanks are a really big hit and a good time is had by all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (2)aa.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	2018893   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (2)aa.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2018894   Click image for larger version

Name:	012aa.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2018895   Click image for larger version

Name:	005 (2)aa.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	2018896  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 AM
wsn123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they from Modellspiegel or its another type of transmissions?
http://www.modellspiegel.com/getriebe-gearbox-1-16/

Last edited by wsn123; 07-31-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:07 AM
sevoblast

They are NOT from Spiegel. They are a vast upgrade, higher quality and lower price that Spiegel. The machined parts are made in Krasnodar Krai in Russian Federation, on the east side of the Kirch Straights. The parts are not made in Krimea nor are they assembled in Krimea. I go to Krasnodar Krai couple times a week to oversee production and I personally test each and every transmission and break them in. All are run for minimum two hours before packaging.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Those look like they are built to move a tank!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 PM
purplebrad
My Feedback: (1)

When my money situation is better I will need to look at buying one of these beauties
Old 07-31-2014, 02:33 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice. Well done. I am interested in how they perform. Please give some updates as your T&E continues.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 PM
trackmech81

I too think ETO will be getting more money from me. I am building a Sherman and these would be nice.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 PM
sevoblast

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I'll be doing more tests today and get a start on the JS and KV mounts. I'll report on all as the work progresses.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome new units Servo! Any ideas on HL compatibility?

...also love how someone signs up to the forums and his first post is to bash an entrepreneur, how suspicious.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 PM
sevoblast

Strato, after I get the Tammy and Hoobens done then I'll start on the variants of HL, Taigen, etc. The basic transmission geometry is the same for all, just the actual transmission mounts are different as far as mount hole placement, gear ratios and motors, and of course the final drive shafts have different lengths.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 AM
Pzjgr

Wow, beautiful! Can't wait for the Panther gearboxes. Will also need them for my Jagdpanther, 2 Leopard 1a4's, 2 Tigers and a KT. If they perform as you say you'll be getting alot of business from me. One question, won't using the Tamiya standoffs cause flex in the hull and be the weak point of the gearboxes?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:47 AM
sevoblast

With the entire transmission assembly being one rigid entity, I have yet to see any flex problems with the hulls. My test bed, an aging King, has about 20 hours on him now with the new system and he is fine, the front is quite stiff.The problem with hull flex with the Tamiya system is the transmissions are two separate installations with nothing connecting them. This transmission spans the entire front of the hull in one piece with four mount points. Should be fine.

Last edited by sevoblast; 08-01-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 AM
Rustytrax

Are all of the sets using the same reduction and motors? If not what are the gear ratios for the different tanks and motor RPM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 AM
sevoblast

Each tank will have whatever he needs to achieve the speeds necessary. Gear reductions and motors can be different for different tanks. All motors are high quality. The basic transmission main frame and output shaft supports and reductions are identical for all. Output gear ratio is 1:1 through bevel gears. The motors are bolted to the reduction gear assembly motor plates (I had them made, too, as the originals were not strong enough), then the motor plates and gear downs are bolted to the transmission main frame. The actual mounts are also bolted to the main frame. The output shafts have three bearings each, two in each outer shaft support and one each in the center shaft. The output shafts are one piece machined high strength steel.

As I get production rolling well I'll have the time to fool around with a couple other concepts I have for this system. No matter what I do with the transmissions, anything new will retrofit to any transmission in this system.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM
wsn123

Originally Posted by sevoblast
They are NOT from Spiegel. They are a vast upgrade, higher quality and lower price that Spiegel. The machined parts are made in Krasnodar Krai in Russian Federation, on the east side of the Kirch Straights. The parts are not made in Krimea nor are they assembled in Krimea. I go to Krasnodar Krai couple times a week to oversee production and I personally test each and every transmission and break them in. All are run for minimum two hours before packaging.
On the pictures looking very similair to gearboxes from ModellSpiegel (like a copy) -so thats why I was asking

1. I'm interesting in Tamiya IS-2 gearboxes - what is the gear ratio of that gearboxes and type of motor possible to assembly (I prefer 480 size)
2. Would similair gearboxes be made for Tamiya Leopard 2A6 too?

Last edited by wsn123; 08-01-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

They sure look beefy. Sharing on World RC Tank Community FB site if you don't mind .

Will be considering one set for my Tam JP.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:51 PM
sevoblast

Feel free to post on your FB sight, Sollie. After I get the three done today I'll measure and go to machine shop Monday. The final drive supports for the Panther will probably be made from steel. The supports have to be made a little less thick on the front side to fit up in to the hull nose. I will take the machine shop advice on which material to use.

WSN, Leopard and JS are in the works and will be available by the end of next week.

Last edited by sevoblast; 08-01-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 PM
wsn123

WSN, Leopard and JS are in the works and will be available by the end of next week.

Ok thank you for reply
1. what is their gear ratio ?
2. what type of 480 and/or 540 motors are assembled - what rpm at 7,2V?

Last edited by wsn123; 08-01-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:28 AM
sevoblast

Gear ratio depends on the tank max speed, as does motor selection. 480 and 540 motors will be available as a tanker's choice.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 AM
wsn123

Gear ratio depends on the tank max speed, as does motor selection. 480 and 540 motors will be available as a tanker's choice.

More concrets please - what is the tanker choice for?
- gear ratio value selection ?
- 540 motor rpm at 7,2V ?
- 480 motor rpm at 7,2V ?

For example Modellspiegel gives a concrete information
http://www.modellspiegel.com/getriebe-gearbox-1-16/
"Standard Motoren 6-12V 6200 RPM, 1:50 Gear"
Old 08-03-2014, 01:17 AM
sevoblast

I can not be more clear at the moment. I have now gotten the first three transmission mount systems done to exacting dimensions. At the moment I am working on KV and JS models. I will experiment with as many different motors and gear downs as I have to so the tank will have the correct scale on road speed. When I start putting the systems on my sight all info will be listed for each transmission in the appropriate tank section. I intend to have the first groups on sight by Wednesday if not earlier.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 AM
hitman1

Hello:

I am just a normal guy who is looking to upgrade my gearbox. I was looking at these on HOBBYRAW. http://www.hobbyraw.com/itemList.jsp?pgid=30&cid=20
What do these gearboxes give me versus the HOOBYRAW and how long a wait for taigen tiger?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM
sevoblast

These are serious heavy duty transmissions. Scale speeds for all tanks will be correct. Spare parts will be available. If you are going to run the occasional weekend then go with the Hobbyraw systems. If you are going to do serious running and IR battling then these will fill the bill. I do not know how long it will be before I have Taigen lower hulls to adapt the system to. First runs will be for Tamiya and Hooben. This transmission system can be added at any time during the build or after, so reality is there is no rush for you to choose at this moment.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Really looking fw to the first test video Robert :-)
Old 08-03-2014, 11:51 AM
hitman1

OK thanks for the information...can always grab these later once you have them out for the Taigen tiger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.