Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Shipping a 1/16 scale model to Canada...Expensive

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Shipping a 1/16 scale model to Canada...Expensive

Old 09-29-2014, 01:07 PM
BIGMIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a 1/16 scale model to Canada...Expensive

I went to my local post office today to check on shipping a (1/16 panzer water cannon vehicle ) that weighs about maybe 3 pounds to Ontario Canada.I about fell over when i was told what it would cost just to ship it by "Snail Mail"....$38.65.....And i asked at the time if there were options as to how it could be shipped.This appears the only way and price for shipping it by U.S.Mail.
I didn't even bother to ask about insurance in case it arrived busted after traveling by "snail mail" which is not uncommon.I have had this model sitting on a shelf for several years and a member here wanted to buy it....I told him i would check the shipping cost and found a box (not the original box )that it could be shipped in and took it to the post office.The pictures below show the model in the box,although it is not totally wrapped as this was just for a price check on the shipping.

BIGMIG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture's Facebook 2014 524.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2036101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture's Facebook 2014 525.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2036102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture's Facebook 2014 526.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2036103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture's Facebook 2014 527.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2036104  
Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 PM
BIGMIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late last year i bought 63 pounds of lead ingots that was shipped to me from Idaho (could have been any of the 48 states..cost is the same ) and was shipped in a large "priority Mail Box" for $11.62..........And you will receive it in three days or less.? I just don't get it...

BIGMIG
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Panther F

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMIG View Post
Late last year i bought 63 pounds of lead ingots that was shipped to me from Idaho (could have been any of the 48 states..cost is the same ) and was shipped in a large "priority Mail Box" for $11.62..........And you will receive it in three days or less.? I just don't get it...

BIGMIG

Because it didn't go across any borders.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2014, 02:25 PM
ausf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat Rate Priority boxes are sold by size and have a limit of 70 lbs. Very few items that weigh that much can fit in one, but you got lucky. When I used to sell the PE tools, I could just squeeze the shipping box into a 11x14 Flat Rate International envelope, so it went anywhere in the world for $11.62. One hell of a deal, didn't have to calculate for each country, etc. Based on weight, it'd be twice that and vary for each destination, a logistical nightmare when I was shipping 15 or so a day.

As Jeff said, crossing a border and you are paying for box dimensions.

Everyone seems to want to cut funding to USPS or to privatize it like UPS or FedEx, but this is the result.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to our world... It basically is economy of scale. Our entire country is only the population of California and 90% of our population lives within a 100 miles of the U.S. border but we are strung out 5000 miles wide! because what we ship back and forth is less than a 10th of the U.S. it costs a lot more. Also you are crossing an international border so there is a cost (about 40%) to the paper work, physical inspection of all goods, and the actual clearing the goods. I'm sure your Canadian customer is well aware of the costs if he has ever had something shipped here before. Trust me, if he was shipping to you would probably be even more!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
afv aficionado

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Being just short of the other pole, we have a similar problem with postal charges...

Mal