Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Girls und panzer

Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 PM
ausf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Girls und panzer

Okay, I'll never understand how they came up with this show, but if you can get past the Anime-ness, the attention to detail of the tanks, movement and historical references is amazing. My son turned my on to it and it's fun to watch with him. The idea is it's a girls school that teaches tank martial arts in competitions. It's flippin' weird. Their base is an aircraft carrier and they fight with a Pz IV, Stug III, 38(t), Lee and Chi-Ha (I think it is). It's so detailed that one girl is holding a copy of PIV Fibel and at the 'tank store' there are Tamiya models on the shelves.

Anyway, here's bit of intro that you guys should see, including a MAUS, Porsche Tiger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9c8C2K-TtE

Last edited by ausf; 12-19-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:57 PM
MAUS45

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, nice detail on the tanks. Is it on Youtube?
Old 12-19-2014, 05:17 PM
CHIEFSONN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool video and yes it on you tube
Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 PM
ausf

It's on Hulu too.

I watched an episode with my son today. One girl spies on the school that uses Allied tanks to see if they're going to bring a Firefly. While watching here iPhone footage in her room, there's a photo of Joachim Pieper on hte wall, DML and Tamiya kits of the shelves, HE and AT 88 rounds, a Tiger idler, etc.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Augustus1967

There was a Guy over at RC Tank Regement (I think that was the place) that put these Girls in his 1/16 Tanks...
Dont rember his Handle... But he used that same stylized Iron Cross (Afrika Korps)...
think he was out of Hawaii... Real Nice Guy... And a Skilled Builder...

-gus
Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 AM
jarndice

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi GUS, The name of the hero from Hawaii is ALPHA, a unique way of building but great skill and a true gentleman, Oh by the way the site is R/C TANK WARFARE. shaun
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 AM
strippersteel

Wow very cool show. Its amazing the stuff people come up with. Ausf if you hadn't watched them before you and your son should check out the short ww2 lego movies. Those are really neat to watch to.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Augustus1967

Originally Posted by jarndice View Post
Hi GUS, The name of the hero from Hawaii is ALPHA, a unique way of building but great skill and a true gentleman, Oh by the way the site is R/C TANK WARFARE. shaun

JARNDICE!!!

ALPHA!

Dats De Guy!!!
Heck of a Builder!!
And You Are Correct!
A Real Gentleman Indeed..!

Thank You for Straightening Out my Faulty Memory!

-gus
Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Augustus1967

This is one of the Builds that came to mind...:

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=22&t=13214

-gus
Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Augustus1967

Double Post...

Last edited by Augustus1967; 12-21-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Since I live on the same island as Alpha, I have been fortunate to see some of his builds up close. He does very meticulous work, and really tries to hold true to the details shown in the anime; (in that most of the tanks do not have any kind of external tool stowage, and have the correct markings applied). I guess it's prototypical in a whole different way than we would normally think of that term.

My grandson and I built a multi-colored Sherman for him to battle with, (multi colored because he wanted it to have camouflage - Purple and Blue camouflage, no less). I have a niece who is not old enough to works the controls yet, and have been looking for a suitable tank for a girl to use. There is a multi-colored StuG III Ausf F in this series that I have decided to copy. (Think BRIGHT colors and Samurai back-banners on the rear deck). Alpha has agreed to make me the Erwin tank commander figure for it, whenever I eventually get around to building it.

And, since I couldn't stand watching the bits & pieces of the episodes on You Tube, I bought the English subtitled DVD on Ebay. As Ausf said, it IS kinda strange, but interesting nonetheless. -Mike
Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by sassgrunt View Post
There is a multi-colored StuG III Ausf F in this series that I have decided to copy. (Think BRIGHT colors and Samurai back-banners on the rear deck).
Don't forget 'I came, I saw, I conquered" in Latin across the glacis.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you, yes, it needs that "veni vidi venci" on the bow.. I wasn't how best to copy the markings, so I bought the 1/35 kit and sent off the decals to have them enlarged to 1/16. Now, I just gotta sit down and build the darn thing.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 AM
LosTxSouL94

I love this anime. I bought season 1 on DVD and even went so far as to track down the OVA extras dvd which was a bit of a chore. Love the crap out of it. I would like to see the episode where they fight Anzio since they skipped over it in the original. It was this anime that got me into the song Katyusha. But it was removed from the dvd and tv version due to 'copyright'. BTW, the drifting tanks are insanely awesome.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:07 AM
jarndice

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

LosTxSouL94 Hi, Earlier in this thread I referred to ALPHA who contributes to rctankwarfare and I know he has a copy of that particular episode because he downloaded the track,with that song to the Forum, it could take some searching but if all else fails that might be a place to look. shaun
Old 12-21-2014, 05:34 AM
ausf

I've read the criticism of the Russian stuff being removed on the reviews when I was looking at the DVD choices.

I'm glad to see that there are others who find this show interesting. I grew up watching Speed Racer and this reminds me of that but much better.

It has to geared towards adults with the references and errata scatter throughout. If their target audience was kids, would they put a copy of Otto Carius' book on a shelf in the background? Or refer to being careful with the Check 38, because it tends to throw tracks under duress? Or the tanks having the Fibel copies in them with the actual covers? The actual gun sights inherent to each tank?

Or the cafe that serves the desserts via Dragon Wagons? I want to live there.

But after all of that, if they lose in battle, they have to dance in cat suits on a trailer. ***?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 AM
LosTxSouL94

Originally Posted by jarndice View Post
LosTxSouL94 Hi, Earlier in this thread I referred to ALPHA who contributes to rctankwarfare and I know he has a copy of that particular episode because he downloaded the track,with that song to the Forum, it could take some searching but if all else fails that might be a place to look. shaun
Cheers. I remember seeing his Saunders M4 build before. I might have to hunt down that video you're talking about.
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
I've read the criticism of the Russian stuff being removed on the reviews when I was looking at the DVD choices.
I was upset by that choice to remove Katyusha and replace it with the infamous 'Tetris' song. I don't know the name of the original title of the old folk song. But it's still up on YT, so I can enjoy it there.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
RichJohnson

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

What a weird show. Yes the tanks are really awesome. Watched a few short clips on the tube. seems mostly german and Russian tanks from what I saw, though one had a nice assortment of shermans lined up in one clip. And the pink M3 in the opening scene of this was just hilarious, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JQwzE5O9ZA

I get a kick out of the white flag they put up when destroyed. If only tank combat were that easy and dignified......And I guess all the girls walk away afterword?

Googling around I came across this http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist/?SeriesID=5515 if you wanted to put one of these girls in the turret of you Tiger.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 12-21-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM
LosTxSouL94

I love the oart with the first years in the M3 throwing their track in their first practice battle. I laugh everytime.

People tend to complain that the rounds don't pen like real combat and it ruins the experience. I like to think, since it's a sport in their world, every school uses the same standardized round to ensure an even playing field. The only variable is the armour. Makes the lack of penetration more enjoyable with that mindset.

I would love a world like GuP. But have it as a unisex sport but only have all boys and all girls so it seems more fair. I do hope they make a season 2. I would watch the **** out of it.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Augustus1967

Amazon has Girls Und Panzer stuff as well...

-gus
Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I should make bossman make us some haha