Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Airsoft half of hobbygrade TX upgrade complete (A Squad Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Airsoft half of hobbygrade TX upgrade complete (A Squad Video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Airsoft half of hobbygrade TX upgrade complete (A Squad Video)

Ok, Men, the airsoft tank (S33) is pretty much done. I still plan to put a servo in for gun elevation and I need a better sound system, but the basics are all here.

There's also some info on an upcoming project and also a give-away we'll be doing soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCtm0dbOJTY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxqqPmUT-n4
Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 PM
olegnA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a sweet runner, very smooth indeed.

did you consider going benedini for sound?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Max-U52

Yes, but I need to learn more about the Benedini. If it's compatible with what I have now I think it might be the best option. Who sells them?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:39 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am the NA rep for them. It will require hobby grade electronics, and you will get the engine sounds, but you won't be able to take full advantage of the TBS . That is the good thing about the BARC 3, it does everything the others do for less total expense plus it is programmed to be a Benedini encoder as well, so when you want to upgrade to great sound you just plug it in an go.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by YHR
... It will require hobby grade electronics ...
Can you expand on that, please? Maybe define "hobby grade electronics"? It almost sounds like you're saying the 9X and the RCTA boards are not "hobby grade". I looked into the BARC but as long as it runs on the RX-18 I'm not going to use it. Will the Benedini function on other systems besides the BARC? The main question was "If it's compatible with what I have now". If it's not then I'll have to find another solution.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:12 AM
kizwan

I was going to suggest Beier USM-HL sound module but I checked again it only compatible with RX18, not HL or Taigen 2.4GHz. Regarding Benedini, all I know other than BARC/DBC3, it compatible with Clark's board. I don't know any sound module that compatible with HL or Taigen 2.4GHz.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 AM
YHR

With the set up you have installed you can get the Benedini to play engine sounds
Old 02-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Max-U52

I'm kinda surprised no one commented on the PE Give-away. Was I that boring that no one made it to the end of the first video?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:10 PM
olegnA

you said in the video that it would be in the next video or thread - i think.

hey - count me in the draw.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Max-U52

Yes, when I do the thread to review the PE kit we'll give it away at the end. Angelo, you're the first to enter. Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 PM
olegnA

Yehey...thanks!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 PM
kizwan

I live far far away. So no give-away for me. lol
Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Phyrephysh

@ kizwan

ooooh I know someone who has a soundboard for the Taigen 2.4gHz mfu - ME

http://youtu.be/jS1Cnb_tnTQ These were made about a year ago but not enough interest to continue - so we made the RC2TG instead so that you could buy European made soundcards at twice the price of what this original board would of cost.

That's the market I guess
Old 02-11-2015, 10:40 PM
kizwan

Originally Posted by Phyrephysh
@ kizwan

ooooh I know someone who has a soundboard for the Taigen 2.4gHz mfu - ME

http://youtu.be/jS1Cnb_tnTQ These were made about a year ago but not enough interest to continue - so we made the RC2TG instead so that you could buy European made soundcards at twice the price of what this original board would of cost.

That's the market I guess
I don't know that. No one buy or you just stop the development? I can't think of any reason why this would not sell when some people willing to buy the expensive Beier USM-HL sound module. Probably you're right, that's the market, the demand in one region/country not the same in other region/country.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 AM
Max-U52

Hey Kevin, if you had put these into production I would've bought one for every tank I have, and that's 15 and counting. If there was interest would you think about bringing it back? This is exactly what I've been looking for, a plug in replacement for the TG sound. Even on my tanks where it works the best the TG MFU doesn't kick in the acceleration sound until you apply a considerable amount of power. I can creep around all day and never leave the idle track.

In case you guys haven't figgered it out, Phyrephish is Kevin, and he is RC Tanks Australia, so when I talk about my electronics Guru, dats da man.

Last edited by Max-U52; 02-12-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
sergeantseabass

MAX-U52 you can count me in on the PE Entry. and as far as the Aussie sound board I can't believe that there just wasn't enough interest in that it sounds pretty darn good to me. Even better when I think about the fact tht i ould have saved myself about 70 bills by buying that instead of the Bendini. Ohh Well guess I'll just have to wait and see if they end up trying to make that board again.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:06 PM
YHR

Then of course the Clark board came out that does just about everything for under $100 so development on most other boards stopped. We reviewed the DBC and felt there was little point spending time and money developing a system to compete directly against the Clark.

Instead we focused on the RX18 tanks and developed the BARC system to be an easy plug an play board that did everything to make a HL tank completely Tamiya compatible for under $100 all in. The design was changed to allow those that wanted to spend the bigger bucks on a Benedini so their system could be expanded to be better then the rest. I felt it was important to have a system that didn't dead end you as your tastes in the hobby changed..

We looked at building a Taigen version of the DBC, but quite frankly most people progress to hobby grade radios and when they do the Clark is a very attractive lo cost option, or you could buy an RX18 and use the BARC along with a hobby grade radio.

I have successfully tested the Benedini on the Taigen, and it will give you engine sounds, but unfortunately that is all. I have had a prototype board that does the complete thing, but honestly the cost of this board would exceed the BARC boards and you don't have interface IR with your ESC so it seemed pointless to develop it, so we stopped.

I don't think RCTA ever floated a price on this board. I followed along on the development, but it just kind of stopped. I assumed it was the realization( Just like we had) that it would be hard to develop it at a price that would compete with the Clark board.

As a small third party developer you always have the fear that the big guys will wake up one day and get with the program and just squeeze you out.. I think with Mato sticking Clark boards In their metal tanks the writing is on the wall, The market for development boards is shrinking, and if Taigen start developing their own boards, along with Mato adopting the Clark boards, the reality is people won't need the third party boards.

Last edited by YHR; 02-14-2015 at 05:59 AM.