Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL Jagdpanther Gearbox Upgrades?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Jagdpanther Gearbox Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HL Jagdpanther Gearbox Upgrades?

Has anyone tried these in an HL Jagdpanther?

http://www.rctank.de/31-PRO-steel-ge...m-/-long-axles
Old 04-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Not those particular boxes but I had three shaft boxes in my JP and they aren't very good. Way too fast. That's why my JP now has brass dual ratio boxes and they work great. So far the only way I've found to get scale speeds in a JP is to use the brass gearboxes.

This is the thread where I put in the brass gearboxes on a metal motor plate if you're interested

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-hl-tanks.html

Last edited by Max-U52; 04-17-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:00 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Old 04-17-2015, 04:55 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those boxes appear to have bearings on all the shafts so with that you might get finer control. However the final ratio is still way to fast for a WWII tank, This would be great in a Leopard or Abrams I bet. One day someone will come out with a four shaft version of these, and make a lot of us happy.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:25 AM
Max-U52

The way I understand it the problem is trying to get that forth shaft in anything but a high/low configuration.

I'm really glad you posted this Glen, because I think those boxes you gave the link to will be just perfect for an Abrams with the 360 motors I get on evilbay for $7 a pair. Or maybe the motors they come with will be better, guess I won't know till I try them out. Now all I have to do is get an Abrams and I'll see about trying those boxes out. Unless, of course, someone already has and found a problem of some sort or something.

Glen, if you do get some of these I'd really like to hear how you like them.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
Those boxes appear to have bearings on all the shafts so with that you might get finer control. However the final ratio is still way to fast for a WWII tank, This would be great in a Leopard or Abrams I bet. One day someone will come out with a four shaft version of these, and make a lot of us happy.
I'm trying This the main reason I'm working so hard on the dual ratio gearboxes. I think the dual ratio paired with a strong low RPM high torque motor is exactly what we all need. I am itching for these guys to be finished, the bearings and gearing change will make a huge difference!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The 4 shaft version won't fit a JP as it stands right now (and in the regular Panther, it fouls the hull machine gun too).
I run regular 'Stug' style gearboxes (with long shafts) in my Panther - they were actually quite nippy when they were driven properly, so it should be faster than the average 24mph road speed of a WW2 tank.

(Disclaimer: I'm not in an organised club any more - I suggest somebody measure this set up over the set RCACN distance to verify that its 'club' legal...)
Old 04-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Max-U52

The four shaft do fit the Panther G, though, and I have some in my Imex Panther G (haven't tried them in a Panther A so don't know about that one). Love 'em! Haven't had any trouble with the hull MG, but it's not on a servo or anything. Just stock Imex.

Martin, is there a difference between Stug boxes and regular HL 3 shaft boxes? And is "club legal" supposed to be to scale or something? How do they tell? I don't even know what RCACN means (that's why I keep saying that even after two years I'm still such a rookie!) Never been in a club myself. Does Danville have a rule like that? In a crude test my JP measured about four MPH under scale autobahn speed. Haven't tested the G.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

The RCACN speeds chart here:
http://www.bayareatankers.org/Intell...atified03_.htm
The tank is timed running flat out over 25 feet to get a time, this is then compared to the chart to figure out the scale speed. I think Danville require +/- 2mph on weekends where the speed is checked, but I think they have also relaxed it on fun run weekends to "as long as it isn't obviously too fast" just to speed up inspections. In Detroit, we just had a gentlemen's agreement that if you upgraded your tank from stock, you would aim for those times.

HL stug gearboxes have one motor rotated down so that it sits next to the other, rather than on top. The HL (Jagd)Panther gearboxes are the same, but with the longer output shafts.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Max-U52

Thanks for the chart, Martin. I notice the chart says the max speed of the Hellcat is 50, but Gunny Ermy says it was 60 mph. Which do you think is correct?

And the times are over 25 feet? Maybe a guy with a stopwatch walking beside the tank so he can get an accurate measurement from start to finish?

OK, I get it on the gearboxes (I don't have a Stug). Those are what Imex calls 3:1 mid/low configuration with 48mm shafts. Maybe someday we'll get standardization on gearbox names! Then again, maybe not.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:02 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

I've also seen 56mph quoted - it all depends on who's timed it, what kind of fuel they used and whether or not they had monkeyed with the governor... At the end of the day its just a number put out there that people can agree to.

Walking next to the tank with a stopwatch is exactly how it is timed. its a tedious process, but it stops all the arguments over whether or not somebodies tank is too fast - nobody wants to have to fight a King Tiger that drives like an M18...
Old 04-19-2015, 02:42 AM
Max-U52

Thanks, Martin, I guess I mainly wanted to be sure the M18 still holds the record for fastest tracked vehicle of WWII and even at 50 it does that. The only other vehicles listed that approach that are the Greyhound and the Puma, both wheeled.

When I did the trials for the ZTZ-99A I used a length of 82.5 feet, a scale quarter mile, but I'll have to try some at 25 feet. Obviously the testing will be faster with the shorter length, and I should be able to conduct tests without any help. Now, thanks to you, I'll have the chart at hand and won't have to do all that math!