Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/6 scale gas powered tiger 1 tank

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 scale gas powered tiger 1 tank

Old 04-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Macnasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/6 scale gas powered tiger 1 tank

Any one know much about the 1/6 scale Tiger 1 tank that hobby ease is selling for 2400 usd Im interested in getting one just need more information about it, comes in 2 versions electric and gas thanks Mac
Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Tanque

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

A fiberglass hull and a gas engine doesn't seem a great combination. They don't show any
photo of a transmission; it needs to be strong enough move a 170 pound model though more than just
smooth pavement. The details, despite the description are lacking.

But then it is less than $3k so I suppose that's something..

Jerry
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 PM
scottlarson925
My Feedback: (2)

What's wrong with fiberglass and gas? Corvettes, boats, snowmobiles, jetskis...none of them seem to spontaniously burst into flames.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Tanque

The problem isn't fire, although I suppose that's a consideration.

For years( 1979 until 1995 ) I ran large ignition engine, weed trimmer type engines, powered model boats. I was religious
in keeping them clean. My hulls were wood with a coating of polyester resin internally. Despite my efforts the boats were very difficult to keep
clean. I ran Tas( Tanaka ) 22cc, Kawasaki KT-12 and KT17 22 and 31cc as well as Kioritz 14cc engines. I always kept them tuned and ran Redline engine oil.
They still were messy and over time the resin, which had been fully cured slowly started to break down in places.

I have two Sankyo Japanese type 61 tanks and these are powered by Zenoah 23cc engines, they will spit and also make somewhat of a mess
but then their hulls are steel.

The rest of my larger scale fleet are glow powered tanks and they can become quite messy; I'm required to clean them every time I run them.

I'm used to it. Anyone who gets on of those Tigers better get used to it also if they run it a lot.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 04-30-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:55 PM
scottlarson925

Duly noted. I run a Zenoah G3-M5 Modified G260 burning VP race gas with Amsoil Sabre Synthetic in a polyester-glass Cobra GT 45. I think the difference between your setups and mine may be that I have a 14" wet-pipe stinger poking out 5" past the transom. Gas and oil residue are not a problem with this setup. I can certainly appreciate the problems you have with a wood hull and internal wet or dry exhaust, the heat alone can be catastrophic...
Old 05-01-2015, 04:55 PM
scottlarson925

Darn double post...

Last edited by scottlarson925; 05-01-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: It's all good.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Tanque

Yes I balanced on that tightrope for quite some while.

I had a traditional water pickup on all my boats just aft of the prop which was very efficient. I did all the modifications to the engines of the day; I made a fixture( still have it)
to mount a cylinder on my lathe to turn down the fins and I would sweat on an aluminum water jacket I made. I would run the cooling water through the head and inject it into the
exhaust manifold just past the muffler. It help cool the exhaust pipe and break up the noise.

My most fragile setup, and the only large boat I still have is a Sterling ( yes blasa ) ChrisCraft Corvette. I covered the hull with fiberglass and coated the engine compartment
with resin. That boat was the first I built and I ran it nearly every weekend for at least an hour for about 8 years. It's one of the boats powered by a KT12AD. It started life as
an electric, moved up to a Kioritz 14cc ( with clutch) and finally the Kawasaki. It weighs about 24 pounds.

Here's a couple of photos of the old girl currently in a corner of a spare bedroom. First photo has a 1/10 scale truck sitting on it( ersatz Opel Blitz) and the second with the top off. The engine in this boat was a used one I bought from a tool rental place who was getting rid of their Kawasaki weed trimmers, I bought a whole pile of engines and parts from them for about 80 bucks as I recall. The engines were great in a boat...

I first built the model in 1977 when I was living in an apartment in Burlingame California...just about the same time I bought my first 1/10 scale tank. Even though I ran boats for more than 10 years; loved working on the engines and also was a member or SFMYC and the national model boat association( NAMBA?? ) we can see which hobby ultimately won out....

Jerry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cc1.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2093465   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc2.jpg
Views:	1497
Size:	922.6 KB
ID:	2093466  

Last edited by Tanque; 05-01-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 PM
scottlarson925

Jerry, you were in it back in the "Golden Age", cool old wood boats with modded, repurposed 2 strokes controlled with Kraft AM radios, kudos to youdos! I am a current member of NAMBA and although sanctioned events are few and far between in this neck-o-the-woods, I still enjoy tearin' up the lake with a screaming 2 stroke singing through a tuned pipe. So much for a peaceful afternoon on the lake...You need to get that old girl wet again!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Tanque

Well I used Futaba AM systems back then but hey, close....
Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 PM
mondo

For 2400 plus a little extra you might be able to pick up a second hand armortek.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by mondo View Post
For 2400 plus a little extra you might be able to pick up a second hand armortek.
Well perhaps but since the op specifically asked about the gas powered Tiger it's a fair assumption that he already knows about the Armortek
lineup. If his desire is solely to have a gas powered job the Armortek can't deliver that.

Gas powered model tanks have more than sufficient detractors but let's set that aside for the moment and assume the op knew what he was asking about.

Jerry
Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Old MSgt

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Jerry about gas powered tanks in that they would be messy to deal with. It'd be like having to deal with a heavy, stationary chainsaw every time you wanted to run it. Oil/gas mix. Getting it started. The heat.

I was curious about gas powered a few years ago but Jerry straightened me out on'em.

ELECTRIC is the way to go with r/c tanks! Just charge it up, flip the on switch, and you're tanking. Clean, quiet (unless you luckily enough to have a sound system!), and no gas linkages, clutches, fuel, exhaust, noise, etc.

Mike
Old 05-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Old MSgt View Post
I agree with Jerry about gas powered tanks in that they would be messy to deal with. It'd be like having to deal with a heavy, stationary chainsaw every time you wanted to run it. Oil/gas mix. Getting it started. The heat.

I was curious about gas powered a few years ago but Jerry straightened me out on'em.

ELECTRIC is the way to go with r/c tanks! Just charge it up, flip the on switch, and you're tanking. Clean, quiet (unless you luckily enough to have a sound system!), and no gas linkages, clutches, fuel, exhaust, noise, etc.

Mike
Whoa, bub... I didn't say I don't like them, I meant they weren't for everyone. Don't bash 'em unless you've tried them.
I don't know what everyone elses' expectations are but I try to get the perceptions straight. They can be messy but any model
that spends most of it's life grovelling through dirt is bound to be messy to a degree, 'gassers' just have an added dimension to it.

I wouldn't trade any of my gas models for any electric. As to the bleats and whines about the 'noise' and 'non-scale' sounds from an ignition or glow
powered tank model? I never hear similar comments about rc cars, planes, helicopters, motorcycles or boats with similar power plants... why is that? I consider
such comments just a load of hooey anyway... It's ok not to like the sound of a model but the 'non-scale' part just never washed with me;
why should gas powered tanks be held to a higher critical standard than any other class of model?

The one thing I've found that is in the favor of all gas models: The slower power build up most gas engines over electric motors is FAR easier on
a model's transmission than the instant snap of electric motors. I've seen the teeth of two identical model tank gearboxes one powered by a glow engine and the second
( originally designed for a glow engine but never run with one ) run with an electric motor of comparable power and the gear teeth for the first stages of the reduction of the second
were mashed almost to the point of being useless..

So despite their distinct 'charm' if you want a gas powered model go for it,,, just be prepared for more maintenance..

Jerry
Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Old MSgt

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well Jerry, a few years ago when I was building my 1/8 R/C Armory King Tiger I was curious about how hard it would be to make it gas powered and you informed me that a gas motor would be impractical for it. Probably because of the size of the tank and the difficulty of manufacturing a trans/clutch system for it. I was just curious about it at the time.

And if you're having trouble with electric motor 'instant snap' acceleration on trans gears in your drive trans, check out the Turnigy Adjustable Slow-Down Servo Speed Regulator because it is GREAT on gently advancing or reversing the movements of models, thus saving on a LOT of gear wear.

Thanks for clarifying how gas motors are not for everyone. I know a lot about weedeaters, chainsaws, lawn mowers, lots of large construction equipment, Harleys, tractors, etc, so for r/c tanks, I myself prefer electric for it's convenience.

Thanks for the info!

Mike
Old 05-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Old MSgt View Post
Well Jerry, a few years ago when I was building my 1/8 R/C Armory King Tiger I was curious about how hard it would be to make it gas powered and you informed me that a gas motor would be impractical for it. Probably because of the size of the tank and the difficulty of manufacturing a trans/clutch system for it. I was just curious about it at the time.

And if you're having trouble with electric motor 'instant snap' acceleration on trans gears in your drive trans, check out the Turnigy Adjustable Slow-Down Servo Speed Regulator because it is GREAT on gently advancing or reversing the movements of models, thus saving on a LOT of gear wear.

Thanks for clarifying how gas motors are not for everyone. I know a lot about weedeaters, chainsaws, lawn mowers, lots of large construction equipment, Harleys, tractors, etc, so for r/c tanks, I myself prefer electric for it's convenience.

Thanks for the info!

Mike
I have some of those Turnigy doohickeys. I don't think they were around when most of the models I was referencing were made. I'm sure they'd help.

I personally don't have issues with electrics; I've been running them about as long as I've been running gassers. I think they're swell. I'll probably
make some of my smaller 1:10 guys electric as it would just take too long to make transmissions for them all. When I made the one for my Hetzer I thought about
taking it apart to have a shop replicate the housing which is what took me the longest. That way I could make more of the small ones I need. As it was the gears alone
cost several hundred bucks and that didn't include the main differential gear. I don't yet use cad or cnc and do everything the slow manual way.

I'm one of those guys that likes the complexity of the gas models. I've fiddled with small engines and a few larger ones for most of my life but by no means am I an expert.
I have a build formula and pattern that works for me and I stick to it.

Jerry
Old 05-03-2015, 12:31 AM
mondo

Originally Posted by Tanque View Post
Well perhaps but since the op specifically asked about the gas powered Tiger it's a fair assumption that he already knows about the Armortek
lineup. If his desire is solely to have a gas powered job the Armortek can't deliver that.

Gas powered model tanks have more than sufficient detractors but let's set that aside for the moment and assume the op knew what he was asking about.

Jerry
Lots of assumptions, don't be so defensive.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:31 AM
mondo

Originally Posted by Tanque View Post

Jerry
Old 05-03-2015, 04:41 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by mondo View Post
Well I won't speak for the op, certainly.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:00 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerry is the forums expert on Benzene engine RC tanks, he’s been using them for a number of years but the question was about a certain Benzene powered Tiger, firstly these models are Chinese made and are intended as a very basic model detail wise. Depending on what engine they use if it’s the same as in the Sherman’s they also make then it barley has the power to cope with them the Tiger being a larger model would also be heavier so the engine would struggle more, the electric version uses one 24v motor through drive clutches again this barley has the power to turn on smooth surfaces so you will quickly be looking at motor upgrades the electrics are very poor to say the least so again you will be looking at buying new speed controllers, the detail on the tanks are very poor especially the turret of the Tiger http://www.bigtanks.de/site/bigtanks.htm scroll down for more images of the Sherman and Tiger along with some internal shots, one thing you must remember is for $2400 its cheap so you get cheap don’t expect any kind of quality, I have never seen one in the flesh either in Germany or here in England I also don’t know of anyone who owns one.

When you say Armortek Tiger for £2400 you would be hard pressed to buy one at this price with electrics unless it was in a terrible state you certainly won’t get one for 2400€, now if you mean $2400 I would seriously doubt that to the point of saying keep dreaming the shipping cost of the kit alone is near £800 or $1200
Old 12-03-2018, 01:51 AM
lposter

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Im just bumping this up as I cannot find anyone who has bought one and the price (including shipping) is extremely low these days ... I could get a Jackson to europe for less than 1500 USD.

1/6 M36 Jackson Tank Destroyer(Gas Powered) [GT606] - US$1,248.00 : HobbyEase

Anyone ever bought one?

P
Old 12-03-2018, 04:36 AM
Tanque

Never even heard of it. I'd like to see what sort of gearbox they're using. I imagine it's from the same as the previous Sherman and Tiger I've seen?

Specifications I see Net Weight: 28.6kg (63.1 lbs), Gross Weight: 54kg (119 lbs) which is rather light for such a model IMHO.

None of the suppliers I see specify this but I believe the model uses a liquid cooled 26cc engine, almost looks like a marine version with a
blue anodized water jacketed cylinder head with the coolant running through a small radiator at the rear of the tank. I like that part. The price you
referenced is half of some of the others I just saw.

Interesting technically..

Jerry
Old 12-03-2018, 12:51 PM
tankme

Received 114 Likes on 92 Posts

Looks like the Vantex model:

Tanks - Fuyuan R/C Model: Radio Control(RC) Airplanes,Boats,Tanks,Cars,Trucks,Helicopters,Acce ssories,Option Parts Manufacturer & Supplier
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM
herrmill

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

That is, indeed, the Vantex made by Fuyuan. Ive seen them at hobby shows & at my LHS - makes a good base to build from but very basic when it comes to detailing. Haven't seen anything on the Tiger but the internals are all the same.

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...k-project.html