Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ASP from RCTANKAUSTRALIA

Old 06-12-2015, 02:13 PM
kizwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP from RCTANKAUSTRALIA

Anyone tested ASP MFU from RCTANKAUSTRALIA yet?

http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...76027fd13b169a
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=260

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Asp_A_labels_600.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2102239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Asp_B_labels_600.jpg
Views:	1688
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	2102240  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Max-U52

Didn't know they were out. I'll be ordering one as soon as I scrape up the dough, maybe next Friday.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:48 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am curious about what the "all in" cost is going to be for this to be an IR battling system. I have yet to find a price on these.

Also with all things electronics the degree of set up difficulty becomes important. I would be very interested in an unbiased review as well.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks interesting. has all the basic functions that most guys want plus alot of nice new additions. 2 speakers, motor recoil and the like.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Max-U52

I've sent an email to Kevin and I'm doing my best to get one ordered this week. Mine will be the base version ($149 as opposed to $174 for the Asp Plus) and as soon as I get it I'll do an evaluation. I already have the 9X radio that they recommend (they say you really should have at least an 8 ch TX). I've been waiting a long time to try this out in my favorite airsoft Tiger One, the S33 that I do all the videos on. Right now it's on stock Taigen electronics.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:34 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52 View Post
I've sent an email to Kevin and I'm doing my best to get one ordered this week. Mine will be the base version ($149 as opposed to $174 for the Asp Plus) and as soon as I get it I'll do an evaluation. I already have the 9X radio that they recommend (they say you really should have at least an 8 ch TX). I've been waiting a long time to try this out in my favorite airsoft Tiger One, the S33 that I do all the videos on. Right now it's on stock Taigen electronics.
Keep us posted. I have done some reading on this, and it sounds a little dependent on the Turnigy 9x radio programming and software. I will be interested on how you make out on the set up, and will be interested in how it compares with the IBU2 you have. Up until now I have bought and tried every system out there, but I am going to pass on this one so will be counting on the review of others.

My initial concerns are initial set up and ease of use. How much radio programming is necessary and is it possible to use this with anything less then 7 channels. Does the $174 unit give you full IR compatibility with Tamiya? And of course I am interested in the engine sound mapping to see how convincing it is in motion.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Roboticus_Prime

I wonder if I could use something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/FS-TH9X-B-Tran.../dp/B008HCP6S4
Old 06-13-2015, 09:29 PM
kizwan

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime View Post
I wonder if I could use something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/FS-TH9X-B-Tran.../dp/B008HCP6S4
That's basically Turnigy 9X, only re-branded.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:39 PM
kizwan

ASP testing videos by rctanksau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13uNwWqdlE
That is a big fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiWSEZrN9E

Last edited by kizwan; 06-13-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kizwan View Post
That's basically Turnigy 9X, only re-branded.
Technically the Turnigy is the rebrand The Flysky version is the way to go. The antenna placement is in the module vs the internal in the Turnigy version. I've talked to the US FS distributor as well and there was something else they changed as well. I know I had nothing but trouble with my Turnigy 9x that stopped completely when I moved to the FS version. I am a big fan of the FS radios though I will be making a move to a special radio soon. I would be more than happy to test this guy, it looks quite nice. Hopefully I get one
Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Max-U52

I should be ordering one on Friday.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:46 AM
kizwan

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik View Post
Technically the Turnigy is the rebrand The Flysky version is the way to go. The antenna placement is in the module vs the internal in the Turnigy version. I've talked to the US FS distributor as well and there was something else they changed as well. I know I had nothing but trouble with my Turnigy 9x that stopped completely when I moved to the FS version. I am a big fan of the FS radios though I will be making a move to a special radio soon. I would be more than happy to test this guy, it looks quite nice. Hopefully I get one
I see.

I think the one I saw with antenna stuck out at the back from the module is FS, not turnigy. Actually I also heard the turnigy 9x have bad rep too. There is one time I asked about turnigy 9x, the seller basically just rant about it, telling me how the radio have poor quality & so on. :P

I think the board have very good features. Too bad I can't tell whether the sound is good or not from rctanksau youtube.

Last edited by kizwan; 06-15-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by kizwan View Post
I see.

I think the one I saw with antenna stuck out at the back from the module is FS, not turnigy. Actually I also heard the turnigy 9x have bad rep too. There is one time I asked about turnigy 9x, the seller basically just rant about it, telling me how the radio have poor quality & so on. :P

I think the board have very good features. Too bad I can't tell whether the sound is good or not from rctanksau youtube.
I can't remember exactly off the top of my head what Turnigy changed but I know they messed with the firmware for sure. I had signal issues with mine until I swapped to the FS version and had no issues since. Always try to steer clear of Turnigy if you can. But yes, the Turnigy module has the antenna routed through the inside and up through the top of the transmitter. The FS type is pictured below (ignore it being in a few pieces, it is broke down atm for easy transportation)

I am also planning on a new radio upgrade myself Hopefully it wont take more than a month or so and I should be able to show it off here and play a bit. It definitely blows the stock 9X out of the water for features but without a proper port of ER9X or OpenTX it could very well be a tossup. More info on that soon....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150615_141037.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2102845  
Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 PM
B/Man

The ER9X firmware upgrade makes the Turnigy 9X a very solid radio. Most of the RC tank guys in Australia that I know use one.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 AM
Max-U52

The only trouble I've had with the 9X is that it seems like I have to recalibrate almost every time I use it. Other than that it's been pretty good.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:13 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Max-U52 View Post
The only trouble I've had with the 9X is that it seems like I have to recalibrate almost every time I use it. Other than that it's been pretty good.
I had issues where my roll axis needed to be bumped to center or needed to be recalibrated often as well. I was going to replace the gimbal but I decided to get the good stuff as you shouldn't go cheap on a radio for FPV or long range stuff. My FS9X has treated me well and I even considered the i10 for a while...
I have had bad luck with a lot of Turnigy stuff TBH. I've had things short, smoke, and fail on me in the worst times so I usually go with name brands now as at least I know where they come from. I am very hesitant to put anything Turnigy on my models....
Anyways, please keep us updated on the ASP, I have been wanting to see this one in action for a while now!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You see, these systems that require extensive set up and co ordination with model specific radio gear are exactly what I don't like. Could not stand it with the ElMod and have pretty much stayed away from all the clarke stuff for the same reason. I want and need true plug and play because I dont have the time . skill or patience for all this set up work. as these systems keep getting more complex my interest in them gets less. I am completely happy with my Tamiya electronics packaged tanks. If you could get the Benedini to work with a Tamiya thats all i would ever need.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Max-U52

Well, I scraped together the funds for an Asp but now the website says they're out of stock. I emailed Kevin, just in case he has one stashed away somewhere, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm pretty sure he'll be doing another run, but that may be months away. Must be a sign from the RC Tank Gods that I should save my money. Naaaaah, I'll find something else to spend it on. I really should be getting the TBU anyway. Here I am hosting a battle day and I don't even have a Tamiya compatible tank!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:57 AM
kizwan

Originally Posted by Panther G View Post
You see, these systems that require extensive set up and co ordination with model specific radio gear are exactly what I don't like. Could not stand it with the ElMod and have pretty much stayed away from all the clarke stuff for the same reason. I want and need true plug and play because I dont have the time . skill or patience for all this set up work. as these systems keep getting more complex my interest in them gets less. I am completely happy with my Tamiya electronics packaged tanks. If you could get the Benedini to work with a Tamiya thats all i would ever need.
I'm confident you can use it with any radio though. For example, below is the requirement for RC5HL board:-
1. Has a switch (usually the gear) that delivers +100% on CH5 - needed to turn on/off tank

and

2. You can assign
CH1 to Steering (RUD)
CH2 to Throttle (THR)
CH3 to Gun elevation (ELE)
CH4 to Turret rotation (AIL)
and that the receiver outputs the info from these channels in that order.

I don't know the requirement about ASP but I think any radio should be compatible.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Max-U52

OK, looks like the Asp won't be available for another month or so. Tried to order one and the first production run is sold out. I asked Kevin if the Asp is gonna work with the new airsoft recoil turrets that Erik and Bill are about to release, so we'll see what he says. I can't wait for that. Barrel recoil in an airsoft tank! How cool is that?