Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Let's see those Backyard Battlefields

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Let's see those Backyard Battlefields

Old 07-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
But next will be a church of some kind. Gotta get to home depot for more plywood.
What size of Church are you looking to do Gary? There's a small chapel I did for DTC on their forum I can get you the plans for, I also got most of the way thru doing the Church in Foy (from Band of Brothers) before I jacked in the UK club scene - I can measure that one up for you and make some plans if you want?

Edit: Also looked at doing the Church in La Gleize - its a little big in 1/16, but I did get a bunch of pics last year when I visited and could get that drawn up for you as well...
Old 07-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Max-U52

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you, Martin, I'm always on the lookout for plans of any kind. If I don't make the original structure from the plans I can also use them as a basis for something else.

I don't really have any particular church in mind, I thought I'd just wing it and see what comes out.

I'm actually an atheist, but a tank village just seems like it needs a church in there somewhere, ya know? If I were ambitious enough I'd try the Koln Dome, (still can't get that umlat thing down ) but that would be beyond even my delusions of grandeur.

So whatever you have Martin, I appreciate it and I'll put it to good use. AND, you'll get to see video of it eventually.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

I hope to see it in the flesh (wood) someday -still have plans to visit, just need to stop spending money fixing cars and houses first...
I think Köln Dom will be a little too big for your yard, but its good to dream big

I'll email the small chapel plans to you tomorrow - I was originally happy to post them here back in the day so long as the whole pdf was posted with the copyright for my design work on the front page - but then I caught somebody on another forum cutting and pasting screen shots into his own document, trying to pass them off as his own clubs work and that soured it for me...

Foy Church after the battle: http://up.picr.de/3397583.jpg - I believe the original photo was US army signal corps, and therefore public domain...
Old 07-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yes FRAG has an amazing setup. They were kind enough to let us use a few photos in our upcoming 50+ page tank catalog Paul has sent me a bunch of great photos, I am very impressed and jealous! I keep nagging at bossman to let me bring in a front loader and turn the back parking lot into a battlefield.... one of these days I might succeed!

hmmmm what does this catalog cost ????
Old 07-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Rex Ross
Uhhhhh, I'm confused. Your profile gives your location as Detroit. I have never seen photos of Detroit that look anything like your wilderness battlefield! Are you sure you don't live it Canada? I love the things you have built (or bought) to place around the area. Those accessory items around the battlefield are perfect. I can appreciate the effort you have put into your project.
rex
Sorry, Rex, I missed this post at first. I'm actually in Livonia but Detroit is just the other side of Telegraph Rd, about 8 minutes down 6 Mile from my place. That Eminem character made that movie 8 Mile, that's two miles north of me. Anyway, I list Detroit because if people ask "Where are you from?" and you say Livonia they say, "Where's that?", but if you say Detroit they know where you mean, and I can almost hit Detroit with a rock so I don't feel bad about it.

Anyway, if you start in Downtown Detroit and go due south the first foreign country you come to is ... Canada, so I'm not surprised it looks like the great white north.

I bought a lot of the stuff (like the 18th 88mm), a lot was kits that I had to build and paint (most of the figures, the RC Kubel, etc), and some I built, obviously all the buildings. I'm trying to expand my scratch building skills and you've been a real help with that, my friend. You give me the bar I can try to raise if I dare. I was really inspired by that Russian truck you built on a T-34, and I'm trying to find any RC car or truck with the right width and wheel base to convert to something like a deuce and a half or especially the German tractor-truck/workhorse, the Hanomag SS-100. If I can find a frame or even a car or truck I can hack the axles out of I'd really like to have a crack at an SS-100 one day. I also like to modify stuff for use, like somewhere in there is a sack of flour that started life a lot longer as a dollhouse accessory until I cut it down and repurposed it for the village.

You just keep kickin' out those killer builds so I can steal ideas from you.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:11 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
I hope to see it in the flesh (wood) someday -still have plans to visit, just need to stop spending money fixing cars and houses first...
I think Köln Dom will be a little too big for your yard, but its good to dream big

I'll email the small chapel plans to you tomorrow - I was originally happy to post them here back in the day so long as the whole pdf was posted with the copyright for my design work on the front page - but then I caught somebody on another forum cutting and pasting screen shots into his own document, trying to pass them off as his own clubs work and that soured it for me...

Foy Church after the battle: http://up.picr.de/3397583.jpg - I believe the original photo was US army signal corps, and therefore public domain...
When I was about 8 years old my Mom took me to the cathedral in Köln, and it made a life long impression on me. At that time there were still plain brick repairs where the bullet scars had been, but I understand it's now been completely restored. What a magnificent achievement that building is. It's very rare that a piece of architecture can actually evoke a feeling deep in my chest, but that place looked like magic to my eight year old eyes and I distinctly remember to this day the awe I felt when I looked up at all that majesty.

I really appreciate the offer of the plans. I won't misuse them or provide them to anyone else without asking you first. One of these days I may have a crack at something like the Foy Church. That would make a great addition to any battlefield. You can email me at [email protected] and I'll give you my primary email to send the plans to. I don't post the primary email address publicly, for reasons I'm sure you can relate to ( ), but the gmail account is a throw away and I usually only check it in cases like this so I'll be watching for your email.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I had something current to post, but here are photos of some backyard battlefields from 10/15 years ago.

My field Head Quarters encampment

The only house I ever build (besides the outhouse I built). This took a day or two. I wonder what happened to it.

One of our "backyard" battlefields. An airfield, railroad, river, bridges, buildings, beer, etc.

rex
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	me034.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	2109829   Click image for larger version

Name:	me4041.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	2109832   Click image for larger version

Name:	me5042.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	2109833   Click image for larger version

Name:	me6043.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	2109834   Click image for larger version

Name:	me1035.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	2109835   Click image for larger version

Name:	me3037.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	2109836   Click image for larger version

Name:	me4039.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2109837  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Max-U52

That's seriously cool, Rex. It's given me a half a dozen ideas already. The encampment is terrific and I love the Quonset hut. I may have to add that to my "Copied from Rex" list.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Some oldies from Detroit:

And some from the UK:

Old 07-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Max-U52

Very cool, Martin. Unfortunately DTC battles don't look anything like that now. They're held on a volleyball court at Green Acres Park and no one ever seems to bring buildings or trees. I even got shot down when I suggested at least raking the volleyball court first. I attended the first two events this year and at the first one it was me and two other guys and at the second it was me and four other guys. I thought maybe a new battlefield would help but I hosted one at my place and only one guy showed up. On the one hand, I really want to step in and try to bring DTC back to something larger, and on the other hand that seems rather pretentious of me and maybe I better just shut up and sit down, ya know?

After watching that brat kick sand on my mato all metal PIII with the clark board I doubt I'll attend any more battles at Green Acres Park.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:31 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will go out on a limb here, but my observation is that RC tankers are an odd breed. There certainly are exceptions, but they aren't, at least in my experience and I'm talking the ones in the States now, as social as other RCers (planes, helis, cars) and no where near as social as static modelers.

Look at some of the work posted here. There was a guy a while back who posted photos of a beautiful Tamiya Tiger he was building. I think the thread got two responses (me and someone else) and you never heard from him again. Stunning work, presented nicely, hundreds of views, no discernable interest. On a static modeling forum, he would have twenty pages of responses, questions and tips.

There are at least three huge AC modeling clubs and fields in a 20 mile radius of me, theres even a world famous model rocket area 15 minutes away. Yes, RC tanks are no draw compared to AC, but I live in the tristate area, one of the most densely populated areas in the country, lots of disposable income, someone must be buying Tamiyas and Taigens in the area. Yes, we have NEAD, but that's basically Bob's call and he spends most of his time at Danville, so I don't blame him for not wanting to battle in a park in NJ that often.

But jeez, I grew up in NYC and now live 30 minutes away from it, I should be knee deep in tank gatherings. NYC Parks Dept maintains RC plane fields, what do tankers get? Crickets.

Last edited by ausf; 07-18-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Patience grasshopper! We have always been thin on the ground, and it hasn't helped that Mike#1, Ed, Jim, and myself have moved on
Your battlefield looks like everything we ever wanted to do at Jim's place, you just need to clear a little more of the ground to create a few more lanes to manoeuvre down and I think you'll be one of the better looking fields out there

Also - Make a point of going down to Danville and getting those slackers that haven't been yet to do so as well. Best time of your life, and you'll make friends that will be with you forever.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

My backyard battlefield is on some land I have outside of town. I went for buildings with a weather proof design, giving up portability and accuracy, in order to leave the village set up all year.

Name:	IMG_0479.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	2110240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2110241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	4.59 MB
ID:	2110242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	2110243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2110244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0338.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2110245  
Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 AM
strippersteel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Benny, sorry haven't been on in a few days but I plan on trying to make it up there later this year. Danville looks awesome but its a pretty good drive for me and my weeks stay busy cause I work two jobs and have a wife and young daughter. I have the indoor battlefield which is ok but I would like to have a nice outside setup.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
My backyard battlefield is on some land I have outside of town. I went for buildings with a weather proof design, giving up portability and accuracy, in order to leave the village set up all year.

Looks like you were huntin wabbits! Hint: judging by the spread on those wabbit twaxs you'll need a bigger gun.

Just an observation.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:22 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the cinder block idea is a good one. Inexpensive.weatherproof and pretty wind resistant
Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Rex Ross

Sooooo, ya think ya know how to drive a tank ---- Huh?

Before you award yourself any trophies for expert maneuvering skills, try a battlefield set up for city warfare. Close spacing of buildings. Tight corners. Dead ends. Urban warfare ---- great fun, especially for small tanks with short barrels.

rex

Name:	IMG_1434.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	2110562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	2110563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2110564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	2110565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1438.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	2110566  
Old 07-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Rustytrax

Rex do you see many bounced shots from those white buildings and walls?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
bhop73

I wish I had a backyard.. living in a Los Angeles apartment, I just don't have that luxury. I do, however, have lots of trails in Griffith Park to cruise around in.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Rex Ross

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
Rex do you see many bounced shots from those white buildings and walls?
No, I didn't know that could happen. But I did discover that one of the buttons on my TV remote could cause a hit to register on the Tamiya battle system. I was always the first guy to get killed in our battles and had some fun with that just standing around taking shots at everyone. Most guys were convinced their Tamiya units had gone goofy and were not amused when I revealed my secret weapon.

rex
Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Max-U52

This has been suggested before, Rex, but what you need is two of those remotes and a Godzilla suit.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Rex Ross
Sooooo, ya think ya know how to drive a tank ---- Huh?

Before you award yourself any trophies for expert maneuvering skills, try a battlefield set up for city warfare. Close spacing of buildings. Tight corners. Dead ends. Urban warfare ---- great fun, especially for small tanks with short barrels.

rex
I don't think I'd try that one in anything bigger than my Tauchpanzer. Like you said, small tank, short barrel.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 PM
ksoc

Blast(s) from the past - S.C.A.T.'s battlefields

Vince's and Steve's battlefields are gone.... enjoy 'em when you have one.
The terrain and trees stayed out year round. Parts of the 'City' had concrete streets and building pads. The buildings would be stored indoors, or in a shed.

Tamiya's field is still there, but you have to tear everything down at the end of the day.

Name:	Vince's original field.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	2110713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince's A Car fountain DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	2110714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince's Apt block DSCN3818 (1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	2110715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve's DSC_0021.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	2110716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve's DSC_0154.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	2110717   Click image for larger version

Name:	TamiyaCON 01 Before.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	2110718   Click image for larger version

Name:	TamiyaCON After 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	2110719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamiyacon After 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	2110720  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TamiyaCON Burnt out bldg Pershing (1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	2110721  
Old 07-23-2015, 04:03 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by ksoc
Blast(s) from the past - S.C.A.T.'s battlefields

Vince's and Steve's battlefields are gone.... enjoy 'em when you have one.
The terrain and trees stayed out year round. Parts of the 'City' had concrete streets and building pads. The buildings would be stored indoors, or in a shed.

Tamiya's field is still there, but you have to tear everything down at the end of the day.
Man, I remember every cat in the neighborhood thinking Vince's battlefield was their own personal litter box. Talk about clearing minefields!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Jussek

hi all

despite it is not finished yet (well, we just started the ground works) my RC tank club scenery look this way when we have a meeting

º

some day i will open a thread to explain all the works just in case someone is interested.

best regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.