Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Zimmerit panels

Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Rex Ross

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zimmerit panels

Has anyone used these "add on" zimmerit panels before?

http://atakmodel.istore.pl/en/zimmerit-1-16

rex
Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are fantastic to work with and the finish is perfect. No disappointments with them, and ETO armor stocks them.
the link is the elepahnt I used it on. The new owner has been doing some mods appraently. But he has some great pictures of it that show the zim very well.
http://jbwid.com/art74k2.htm

Last edited by yellowshaker; 08-20-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, used them myself and seen others use them. They are fantastic for convienience the only issue I have with them are they are a bit shallow and the uniformity kinda kills it for me especially on the Elefant kit.
If you don't have the time or experience they are completely worth the money. I used 2 part epoxy to attach and you still have to so some hobby knife trimming to get some pieces to fit.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 AM
R|M|D Photography

Obviously this is just an opinion, but the photos i have seen of tanks done with the panels it looks very plastic and cheap. reminded me of a snaptite model. way to thin and uniform looking compared to photos of real zimmerit.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:37 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And my 2 cents for what it is worth....

I have done pretty much every method under the sun for zim. A lot in 1/35th and a few in 1/16. I like the sheets. I find that doing it by hand you tend to have it too thick and it is tedious to work with. Factory applied zimmerit was actually fairly uniform, so at scale I don't think that is an issue. Of course when you see close ups of the real thing it looks coarse and a little more random, but when you back out and compare the real thing to a model at the same distance shot sometimes it can be tough to even see the zim.

Here are a couple of shots of mine using a few methods. See if you can pick out the burn method which is a hot soldering tip shaped to do the zim, Sheets of zim, and a section of milliput I did...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	L70 build 78.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2115729   Click image for larger version

Name:	KT rear shot 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2115730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stug frontal.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2115731  
Old 08-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Panther F

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

AND opinions do vary but some experience on the matter will serve one well.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2015, 11:42 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Everyone has there methods. I did the late Tiger 1 using tamiya putty and it turned out nice, but I thought it too be a little too thick personally. I also tried milliput, which worked well. The ability to cut out areas of the panels offered by atak make it very easy to doa worn look, even though it is a panel. I felt it was lesss time consuming and the results can be very good when the right methods are used in application of the panels, as well as paint and weathering.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Rex Ross

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys ---
Considering my lack of skill, patience, bad eyesight and shaky hands, I think the Zimmerit panels would come out better for me than any effort that took some talent. Those are the same reasons I never was successful as a brain surgeon or bomb squad technician. It looks like different people get different results using different methods and materials. What could go wrong? I would probably find a way to screw it up. I'm good at that.
rex
Old 08-20-2015, 03:07 PM
BubbaJePH

Rex, you did a great job. I seem to have King Midas Brown touch. Instead of gold as King Midas had the touch. If I touch it it turns to poop <-- to put it gently. I am waiting for upgrade parts to my HL Abrams I've ordered to start.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 PM
ksoc

Craig / Streesquid of DAK Armor talking about the ATAK ZImmerit (Page 4 of his Elephant build)

.. or pg 6 - Post #106 goes into detail about how he applied the resin

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...t-build-4.html

Last edited by ksoc; 08-20-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:27 AM
LarryE519

Hi,

I just ordered the Zim panels for my Panther, direct from Atak in Poland.. Total with shipping was less than $50, and the box arrived within a week . I also like the resin MG sponson and main gun mantlet. If these pan out I may go for the Tiger 1 set as well.

http://atakmodel.istore.pl/en/zimmer...6?currency=USD

Here is a little tutorial from Roll models for the product:

http://www.rollmodels.net/nworkbench...im/atakzim.php

HTH

Larry