Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/16 SdKfz 186 Jagdtiger (Hunting Tiger) Tank Destroyer

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 SdKfz 186 Jagdtiger (Hunting Tiger) Tank Destroyer

Old 05-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Troy, Very nice. Your recoil unit is similar (or the same?) to the Taigen Torro recoil – elevation unit, which works just fine. Though, it was beyond me on how to adapt it to the Tamiya electronics, so I will use the Taigen unit in another build. I like your TBU mount, I explored that solution and may just do that to. The small issue is that I would need to relocate the On/Off switch, because the engine deck hatches are not completely accessible. John
Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I you shorten those screw bosses it will raise the TBU mount so the engine door opens completely. As it is now the door opens halfway and I can get to the switches and latch easily.
I will shorten the mounts when I have more time. They need to be cut exactly flat and even though so the apple stays level.

Are you going to leave the stock motors in yours?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Thanks for the info. I have a set of red can 390 motors, lo torque, that are a drop in fit. To date, with only limited testing, the Taigen 4 to 1 steel ball bearing gearbox set up seems to works fine for my use. If that setup later proves lacking, I will install the red motors.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:01 AM
sollie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustytrax View Post
John, I used the Asiatam unit and removed the recoil gears and motor. I then attached a servo to the rear corner and fixed a rod to the servo horn so that it pulls the original recoil slide. I leave the ELE since it works fine and is already there. It isn't like the old cam.
I haven't done it yet but I see the area that creates the ELE pivot can be cut off lower than the Asiatam. If I retain most of that I'll be able to use the remaining portion in the hull to afix a trav pivot. This will put the two pivots inline horizontally. The Trav pivot will attach to an extentetion of the Asiatam.
There appear to be two issues with this design. One I will not be able to use hatch you have your battle unit it. I will instead open the rear doors and have made a plastic base that attaches via the screw bosses that are unused in the rear of the casemate.
The second issue I foresee is the Asiatam might need far end support and that will probably be some sort of trolly hooked to the pivot plate. I'm hopping not, and your setup would elliminate that.

I'll probably get to the traverse over the summer or winter between battle dates.
Did you just glue the servo in place ?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Rustytrax

I cut a notch in the lower portion of the recoil case so I can ziptie it and hot glue it. If you look closely you can see the ziptie. You really don't need the glue at all as i didn't use any on my Panther F setup.
Super easy mod.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:35 AM
BludoTheSmelly

Always like when a new tamiya rc tank model comes out
Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 AM
sollie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustytrax View Post
I cut a notch in the lower portion of the recoil case so I can ziptie it and hot glue it. If you look closely you can see the ziptie. You really don't need the glue at all as i didn't use any on my Panther F setup.
Super easy mod.
thanks . any inside photos of the F turret to ?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Rustytrax

I don't want to keep posting in someone elses build. I'll post them later in the 1945??? thread.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Smile Jagdtiger Servo Recoil

Rustytrax and Sollie, thank you both for the JT tips!

Torro Jagdtiger + Tamiya KT IR RC Electronics.

And I used a servo for recoil:

And I used a servo for elevation + Camera Position Controller - Single Axis (Rev 2), Dionysus Design

Method: Removed the two Torro recoil unit worm gear motors, gears, wiring and switches etc from the Torro recoil, elevation unit housing.

Recoil: Using a large Futaba servo and a servo Y splitter wire harness to join (sync) the servo and the DMD Unit to the receiver. Used Great Lakes servo tape to fasten the servo to the JT, behind the recoil housing.

Elevation: Used the same recoil method for elevation control of the main gun with the addition of a (plugged into the receiver, then a "Y" splitter cable follows):

http://dionysusdesign.com/…/os…/1350e95ada76cb142993910f5e43

Used Great Lakes Servo Tape (sourced from Amazon) to mount the servos.

The solution(s) work and are serviceable and repairable.

My JT is not generally rc tank club legal (because of the Battle Unit placement), but it is my JT, my backyard, thus my house rules.

John

PS And looking forward to Panther F's JT Build!

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 06-04-2017 at 11:51 AM.