Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Assult Sherman, Jumbo build

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Assult Sherman, Jumbo build

Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Ok so I battled the tank yesterday. First time I really operated it since it had about 10 minutes of time with it in the yard just for a function check.
The tank is quite slow with the mato 69:1 gears, however with several hits on the 9 lives it was really mobile nearly to the last hit. It kicked ass taking on a jaged panther and sturmtiger at the same time scoring many hits on both with certain death.

the big bad problem.... Both front wheels on the mato metal bogies froze up hard. i mean left and right front bogie, first wheel behind the sprocket just ceased up and the bogie jammed from the friction.
I cant figure why this happened. I went home and pulled the tracks and put some 30 weight oil in the wheels and forced themto turn, they now roll but have tight spots at various positions. The rest of the wheels spin super free. I did not oil these wheels to start with so im wondering if they gauled up... Very odd. The more I screw, play, fuss with this all metal mato sherman lower and its gear boxes the more I dont like it...
Old 01-25-2016, 10:55 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Ok, so I have been working on the details to the overall tank and screwing around with the gear boxes.

So far, I had to drill out the very short metric mounting holes in the hull because they were so short the stripped out, I knew it was going to happen eventually taking the gear boxes in and out so much. I drilled and tapped them for 4-40 and used nice long screws to secure them.

As for the gear boxes, one pinion came loose off the motor, and ofcourse the set screw is jammed in and ruined two allen wrenches trying to get it out. So I drilled it out and put a 4-40 set screw in and ground a flat spot on the motor shaft.

I also decided to try again to slide the final drive gear over and speed them up. After lots and lots of work and wasted time, I was successful at moving the final gear and eliminating a few gears. The results took the ratio from 69:1 down to 10:1 which was as fast as my old DMD Sherman gear boxes, pre the ones that are out right now. IT was really fast. But, had no torque so on the dirt it could barely turn. I think it was actually overloading the IBU2 and it would stall out and die, then come back after a few minutes and the motors were very hot. I moved the gear setting back to 69:1.

I ordered taigen 3.1 gear boxes which I think are 39:1 so we will see. I just have to drill them to fit the mato metal hull.
I hope you ordered the 4:1. The Taigen 3:1 are just stock ratio boxes that come with the tanks except with steel gears. I use the Mato 2.0 gears. I hope they didn't quit making them

Last edited by YHR; 01-25-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 PM
RichJohnson

I think mato has moved completely to the 4.1 69:1 ratio gears.

i ordered the stock taigen sherman gears called 3.1 which I believe are 39:1 ratio if they are like the panzer set I put in the m3 lee.

t
Erik told me the 4.1 taigens are 90:1 ratio. Way too low for a sherman.

I am going to do a scale speed test tonight and see what my 69:1 does flat out.
if I stick with these mato gears, i really hope they replace them as I said one side is co pletely pos fubar. I sent them and email and theynasked for pictures with my description and them never got back to me after the pictures.

i have to say, the stock HL plastic gears are 49:1 and then with a 380 motor dropped in they appear to be a good sherman speed, a scale test would prove it though.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 01-25-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry you had problems on the wheels and I don't want to sound like a broken record... DON'T assume anything & always go over everything with a fine toothed comb.

I learned that lesson taking NEW PARTS and before they went onto any car, I did a run-down on what's supposed to work and be there too.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 PM
RichJohnson

The wheels rolled fine before i drove it out in the field. I only test drove it for about 10 min at home. It drove fine for a couple hours in the battle then i saw the bogies jammed up from the wheels being frozen. I suspect it was metal to metal gauling.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:30 PM
YHR

I have had that trouble on a couple of my Metal installs. I now use graphite powder from the get go with them, and that seems to cure the problem. When they bung up they bung up good don't they
Old 01-26-2016, 11:27 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I was witness to the fouling and I must say…. they jammed up TIGHT. My main concern is the apparent difficulty servicing the bogies on a metal MATO hull. Erik mentioned the new Taigen bogies will have bearings. Wonder if this is more of a known problem. My builds have been on older hulls with these bogies and I have not had any such binding issues as I can get in and take em apart and work them if needed….
Old 01-26-2016, 12:07 PM
RichJohnson

Ehan is correct, the bogies are swedged into the hull with a clip that is then epoxied in place i believe. I do not think it would be a good idea to remove the bogie from the hull. So far I am not satisfied with the mato metal lower. I may in the future swap the whole lower onto a taigen or possibly a HL with the metal bogies they now have. I have high hopes for the new taigen shermans. I plan for at least one, and probably many if they are what I expect.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:49 PM
B/Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clips that hold the bogies in place on the hull are glued in but I think it's only CA or at least they were on mine. They are pretty easy to remove if you can get something under them and lift up. I used a screwdriver but the back of a small hammer would have been easier. Once the clips are off the bogies will take some gentle persuasion to remove but tapping them from the inside should do the trick. The front bogies are easier to take out if the gearboxes have been removed. Getting them back in also takes some effort and I gave the pins a light once over with a file to make that easier.

I pulled mine apart for painting a couple of weeks ago and just put it all back together over the weekend. I whish I had thought to lubricate the road wheels as I don't intend to take them off again anytime soon.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:54 PM
RichJohnson

Oil them now that it is pAinted. I think that is why my front wheel on each side bound up.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 PM
edoubleaz

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks good so far….

Untitled by Ethan Dunsford, on Flickr

Last edited by edoubleaz; 01-27-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 PM
yellowshaker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, are you able to fit larger motors in that beast? I would try a set of 6olt 400's in it. Bet it makes a huge difference.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 PM
RichJohnson

I really don't think so. They are 380s, unless I can make screw holes fit in the brackets and the pinions line up and the motors are not any longer.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 PM
yellowshaker

400's are basically the same length and should bolt right up with n problem. 480's would be longer on the cans, so I am not certain there is room for them. 400's at 6v should be plenty though in terms of more speed.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 PM
RichJohnson

Where could I try a pair?
What would happen to 7.2 v applied to 6v motors? would that smoke a motor or draw too much current? Well, I think that would actually lower the current if I remember ohms law correctly, raising the voltage lowers the amperage etc etc.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:48 PM
yellowshaker

It wouldn't do any damage. I have tried it with a few of my elmod tanks without problems. I may have a set in stock..I will check tomorrow for you, if you like.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 AM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I used 400's in all my battlers with no problems...
Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 AM
YHR

The Mato clip design is actually something I like, but I do not have a metal hull, just plastic with metal bogies, so am a little unclear as to what they might have done to screw up a good thing.. Easy to remove and work on with the plastic hull..
Old 01-27-2016, 09:11 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Most of the 400 6V motors are rated up to at least 7.2V:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Motor
[/TD]
[TD]Nominal Voltage
[/TD]
[TD]Voltage Range
[/TD]
[TD]No-Load RPM
[/TD]
[TD]NO-Load Current
[/TD]
[TD]Current @ Max Effic.
[/TD]
[TD]Stalled Current
[/TD]
[TD]Max Efficiency
[/TD]
[TD]Case Length
[/TD]
[TD]Case Diam
[/TD]
[TD]Free Shaft Length
[/TD]
[TD]Shaft Diam
[/TD]
[TD]Weight
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Speed 400
[/TD]
[TD]6v
[/TD]
[TD]2.4-7.2v
[/TD]
[TD]18,000
[/TD]
[TD]0.7A
[/TD]
[TD]4A
[/TD]
[TD]25A
[/TD]
[TD]70%
[/TD]
[TD]37.8mm
[/TD]
[TD]27.7mm
[/TD]
[TD]13.8mm
[/TD]
[TD]2.3mm
[/TD]
[TD]73g
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 AM
RichJohnson

Hmm, looks cool, yeah I would like to try them. The benefit of the super low gearing was I was able to keep moving even after 8 hits on my tank. Higher rpm motors would mKe up the difference of the lost speed in the low gears. That is the optimum combination really.
Now I just have to screw around with those gear boxes some more. Ive had them out of the tank like 6 times now, hence why I had to drill and retap all the mounts for bigger longer screws.

here is the pic Etahn posted a link to from his fliker page. Thanks Ethan, my camera batteries ran out before I got any really good pics on the field.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2143761  
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I would use 6V rated motors (and do) anytime as mentioned above, can handle above that rating.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2016, 01:47 PM
B/Man

Originally Posted by YHR
The Mato clip design is actually something I like, but I do not have a metal hull, just plastic with metal bogies, so am a little unclear as to what they might have done to screw up a good thing.. Easy to remove and work on with the plastic hull..
Now they look like this.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0921 (1).jpg
Views:	707
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2143788  
Old 01-27-2016, 03:15 PM
RichJohnson

Yes that is them, you guys just pop them off and pull the bogie out?
My fear would be breaking the U clamp, all that metal seems very brittle.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:41 PM
B/Man

Yes, they seem to be stuck firm but some gentle pressure will lift them off. I did crack one of mine when I was putting them back on and had to epoxy it back together, it seems okay now. I used CA glue for some extra hold when I re-installed them all and they appear to be solid. The bogies are a tight fit as it is so I don't think these are under much pressure.

The clips closest to the gearbox will have the round part at the top removed to give them more clearance. I didn't notice that until I put the wrong ones on and wondered why one of my drive sprockets was suddenly difficult to turn.

I'm not sure why Mato didn't replicate the plastic hull system in metal, it seems much better. This system makes the bogies difficult to remove and work on and there is more chance of damaging parts.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM
YHR

Thanks for the pictures. Yes the design used on the plastic hulls seems better then this, If you break one of these You could take a large washer and cut a slot out of it, and then use it. I have done this when I have added the metal suspension to other tanks that weren't Mato. If you bend them slightly they jam in there pretty tight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.