Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

eBay Find of the Week

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default eBay Find of the Week

Picked up an old wreck of a Pershing off of eBay for $0.98 + shipping. This tank has seen better days. The barrel has been cut off, making it an m45 lol. The rear shock on the left side is obliterated, there's a chunk out of one of the sprockets, there's holes in the turret, it's got the old rx-13 board, and the gearboxes are shot.

Surprisingly, this tank does have some redeeming qualities. First off, it has the old style, solid plastic, and double pinned tracks! These things look like the have never been driven outside or on concrete. Second, the lower hull is in very good shape. There are no scratches on the underside, and it is not bent. I don't know how they managed to simultaneously, wreck and not wreck this tank lol.

Still, this should be a good starter for another tank.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Here's your chance to make one of these

Erik's got the VVSS and tracks for it. You pull this one off and even Rex will be impressed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sherman 49.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	2134652  
Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 PM
purgatory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was a heck of a great deal no matter what condition its currently in. good find.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:35 AM
Roboticus_Prime

So, funny story. I decided to test this thing out.

I put a batteries in the tank and transmitter. Had to wiggle the switch on the TX just right for it to come one. Fired it up and the turret moved! Yay!
Next I tried to move it. I wasn't surprised when it didn't move. The clutches in the gears are bad so the motors just spun.
Then I tried the gun... Oh man that gun... It took twice as long to wind up as my other airsoft tanks, but it fired! In more ways than one, because it started smoking after the shot. lol
Once that was done, I looked over an saw that it had put a hole in one of my boxes the tanks come in! This unit is nuts! I examined the external damage on the tank more closely, and every single hole, dent (I found several little craters in the plastic), and busted part on the outside was caused by a 6mm BB!

The eBay listing said something about them having a Tiger also. I can only imagine the battles those two had... lol I could probably use this thing to hunt rabbits in the garden

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 12-14-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:22 PM
CHIEFSONN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first looked at the the damage the first thought was it was the bb 's from another tank that did the damage and as I continued to read on it was a Tiger with it's powerfull 88! Lol buy the way great score.now to check ebay for the tiger.lol

Last edited by CHIEFSONN; 12-20-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Every time I think this tank is done surprising me, I find something that makes me stop and say "Oh, wow..."

I decided to use the turret temporarily on my Sherman until I get it's IR one working. This of course meant that I had to change the solder connections to a 3 pin. When I poped the turret open I found this.

Whatever they shot this thing with, it was strong enough to penetrate the side armor AND the airsoft unit!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:03 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guessing a pellet gun. How fun would that be if you didn't care about the tank. Keep driving it around and the one who actually knocks the tank out buys the first round. Think I'd keep going for the running gear, though a penetration in the battery box could be interesting. Depending on distance maybe a 5 pump limit. Now I need to grab a new pellet gun and some junk HL's off ebay!!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:49 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Guessing a pellet gun. How fun would that be if you didn't care about the tank. Keep driving it around and the one who actually knocks the tank out buys the first round. Think I'd keep going for the running gear, though a penetration in the battery box could be interesting. Depending on distance maybe a 5 pump limit. Now I need to grab a new pellet gun and some junk HL's off ebay!!
Do the stock HLs still come with the RX-18 sticky taped to the hull side? If so, I bet one shot through the side will shake some solder loose.

Skip the pumps and get a spring. Crosman has springs that shoot 1000+ fps for around $100.

You could set up a game: Mount a battery lead to a break away brass plate somewhere high on the exterior that would disable the tank if hit. One guy tries to traverse a piece of open land while the other tries to stop him, then switch roles. Could be sitting next to each other, driver moving fast during reloading, etc...