Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tank damage

Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Cromwell user

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank damage

I was wondering how do you make realistic damage on your tank? Like a shell that didn't penetrate, or bullet holes from a machine gun. Can you melt the plastic? Im just wondering.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These are called "splashes" easiest way is with a soldering gun. Adjustable temp one if you have it on med. heat. If not just be quick with it! ;-0

Sharp point for MG marks VERY shallow penetration a blunter point for larger caliber. Come in from an angle and strat with small marks. You can always enlarge later. Practice on the bottom of your tank if you don't have any extra styrene to play with..
Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, you can melt the plastic to make fake impact scars. First I would study historic pictures to find a type of scar you want to model. Then heat a metal object and use it to make the impact scar. Practice on stuff that doesn't show before doing anything that will show. Have fun and experiment. Then show us how it came out.

Don't go overboard with the effect like these guys did...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bloddy Tank Termites.jpg
Views:	2766
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	2145076  
Old 02-03-2016, 08:30 PM
afv aficionado

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi
If you've watched Fury, you'll notice the fresh bullet scars are shiny metal, but rust/fade away like the range target pic above.

Mal
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 AM
B/Man

Originally Posted by afv aficionado View Post
Hi
If you've watched Fury, you'll notice the fresh bullet scars are shiny metal, but rust/fade away like the range target pic above.

Mal
Are they really though Mal or is that just a Hollywood interpretation? I'm assuming gunfire would leave some sort of mark on your average WW2 tank but does anyone have any real reference pics?

I think battle damage is one of the hardest things to get right in this hobby. When it's done well it looks awesome but it's very easy to get carried away and stuff it up. Something like a Tiger with a spray of holes from machine gun fire up the side just doesn't look right to me. Some of the guys on this forum nail it though and Yellowshaker is one who springs to mind who seems to have a knack for it.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:24 AM
Crius

Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey Mal, as much as I enjoy your posts and respect your skills, I have to say that using a Hollywood movie for reference of ANY KIND is a really bad idea.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:04 AM
danlrc

Here's a post from a previous thread on the topic.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...l#post11113950

Inserting dremel tips into a soldering iron set on LOW heat alows some interesting splatter effects...
These are the shapes of Dremel tips that were used.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel Rotary Tool Bit 100 (EN) r19708v15.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2145146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel Rotary Tool Bit 114 (EN) r19738v15.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2145147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel Rotary Tool Bit 134 (EN) r19744v15.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2145148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel Rotary Tool Bit Carving and Engraving, High Speed Cutters, 124 (EN) r21148v15.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2145149   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2145150   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2145151  
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM
afv aficionado

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Guys
"Are they really though Mal or is that just a Hollywood interpretation? I'm assuming gunfire would leave some sort of mark on your average WW2 tank but does anyone have any real reference pics?"

"Hey Mal, as much as I enjoy your posts and respect your skills, I have to say that using a Hollywood movie for reference of ANY KIND is a really bad idea."

Both good points, haven't actually shot up a real tank myself - just ceramic tile armour & plastic ones. However that damage rings true -shiny metal - but I doubt that it stays in that condition very long, maybe as short as a couple of hours?
Might be a good suggestion for Mythbusters to test?

Mal
Old 02-05-2016, 06:32 AM
Crius

Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts

Mal
THAT would be Awesome!!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Panther F

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If it were me adding battle damage, I would do plenty of testing and experimenting first on some spare styrene sheets.

It's all subject to ones interpenetration.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Guys
"Are they really though Mal or is that just a Hollywood interpretation? I'm assuming gunfire would leave some sort of mark on your average WW2 tank but does anyone have any real reference pics?"

"Hey Mal, as much as I enjoy your posts and respect your skills, I have to say that using a Hollywood movie for reference of ANY KIND is a really bad idea."

Both good points, haven't actually shot up a real tank myself - just ceramic tile armour & plastic ones. However that damage rings true -shiny metal - but I doubt that it stays in that condition very long, maybe as short as a couple of hours?

Mal
Unfortunately I dont think that is possible This season is the last one!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:35 AM
ausf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google Bon Ficha Tiger and you'll get a study in ordance testing. They captured an early and systematically threw everything they had at the hull to determine what would do what to the armor.

Rolled steel or cast steel armor that sustained enough damage to splash or penetrate would certainly appear natural, then quickly gain surface rust if not oiled or painted. Contact points on tracks do the same, provided they aren't dirt of mud caked.

For all the movies that were made over the years, using the most absurd stand ins for material, the latest from Band Of Brothers forward have been incredibly well researched, some down to the most insignificant detail like the proper jump buckle at different times of the war. Fury used the Bovington Tiger at great expense, instead of renting a dressed up T-34 or painting a Patton sandy color and slapping a iron cross on it. It's a long way from John Wayne slumping over as he reached for a cigarette on Iwo Jima.