Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Turnigy 9x flashing with arduino board help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Turnigy 9x flashing with arduino board help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:42 AM
Brandon.c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy 9x flashing with arduino board help

Not sure if this is the right place to this but I have this little arduino board http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-...-/400758351635 and I've wired it up accordingly. Tried to upload a sketch but it won't work. Keep getting errors.
Has anyone flashed their turnigy 9x with an arduino board like my one?
Old 11-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It has been a while since I've used a 9X, try these steps....
-Check your Arduino version, I think I had to use a specific version for what I needed to flash
-Make sure the board selected is the correct version and MHz, this messes a lot of people up
-You might want to check an ASP programmer instead, they are about $5 and they were the recommended flasher at the time (years ago) for ER9X/OpenTX
-Check your connections to your 9X, I had to solder very tiny pads to do so.

If all else fails they do make solderless upgrade boards with USB connectors on them and they are pretty cheap too however it has been a while and adding the cost of that will almost double the price of the 9X. Sorry I couldnt be of more help!
Old 11-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Brandon.c

Thanks! I've double and triple checked everything but still nothing. I've decide to get the usb programmer from eBay instead as I've seen many people using them. And seems much easier to set up and flash from that.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Imex-Erik

I used the USB ASP and soldered my wires direct so I could do upgrades later. I ended up cutting the case and removing the stock charging port and adding in an upgrade port. Just be aware the latest batch of 9X radios from HK are using cloned processors and are not compatible with OpenTX. Link here: http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html (first paragraph)
Also, 2.2 is here! 2.2 Amber sound pack is out too for 2.2 as well. It is still beta but I'm soooo ready for it. Anyways, you might want to check your radio and see if you have the right processor, you might have a clone and it isnt compatible! Gotta love HK.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9x mod.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	2189510  
Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Imex-Erik

So did you open up the transmitter by chance to see if you have a clone? I'm not sure why they would do this as that is the main allure of the radio, but HK rarely does things that make sense these days.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Brandon.c

Sorry I didn't get back to you. The arduino I had, I couldn't find anything to why it wasn't working so in the end I bought the usbasp and flashed the turnigy 9x today with er9x. The one I had was atmega128.
whats the Amber sound pack may I ask?
Old 11-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Brandon.c
Sorry I didn't get back to you. The arduino I had, I couldn't find anything to why it wasn't working so in the end I bought the usbasp and flashed the turnigy 9x today with er9x. The one I had was atmega128.
whats the Amber sound pack may I ask?
IDK about er9x, I wouldnt use that fork if you paid me OpenTX is MUCH better and is in continuous development. I would definitely look into OpenTX if I were you, the community is much more active and support will be much easier. Plus I'm not even sure the er9x supports FRSky telemetry (hopefully you are using a module and not the built in one, I have had many failsafes with the stock 9X system and even lost a quad once) much less LUA scrips (music) or the new 2 way telemetry coming in 2.2.
The Amber sound pack is a pack of over 550 sounds and recordings for almost anything you could think of. I assign sounds for everything I can:
-engine on/off
-driving modes
-airsoft/infrared swap
-transmission neutral/engage
-cannon fire (with countdown for next available firing)
-voltage readouts (auto depending on battery. will auto call out my voltage at a set level and even monitor individual cells if told to)
-lights on/off
and much more. I added a larger speaker in mine so I can listen to music out in the field or even just play some background music. The Amber pack is very good and smooth and not auto generated. There are a few packs including the beta 2.2 branch now.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Brandon.c

Ok I'll give openTX a go. I've already got the firmware for it so it's just a case of flashing it again. Is there much of a difference with er9x and openTX that you know? Just figuring out how to map certain functions to the switches is a lot to get use to. I would like to have the turret traverse on the dial and cannon fire on the spring loaded switch If possible and go on from there. I've currently just flashed the turnigy with the tankER9X firmware as they say it's specific to tanks but it's all new to me lol.
How do I get the amber sound pack?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Imex-Erik

Ah! That is a different story then! If you are using it in turn with RCTA's stuff then it is probably the best match for you. I was referring to just the plain er9x and OpenTX. For the sound packs you can check OpenTX University for the sound pack you need. 2.2 is still beta so be aware of that. 2.1 is stable and solid.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Brandon.c

Er9x and tankER9X are pretty much the same other than tankER9x juts has tank specific templates etc.
I'll have a look at the sounds packs then.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Brandon.c
Er9x and tankER9X are pretty much the same other than tankER9x juts has tank specific templates etc.
I'll have a look at the sounds packs then.
Well if I remember correctly (sorry if I'm wrong Kevin!) RCTA has his electronics match up with the tankER9x which allows specific mixing and templates to be loaded. This helps setup with his stuff and is recommended to follow his instructions for them. However, if you are not using it specifically for that then yea definitely check out OpenTX and the Amber sound packs. There are a few other packs too but Amber's sounds so much better than the others. You can also assign your own sounds as well, my buddy has Star Wars play when he turns his on and Vader talking for some things lol.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Brandon.c

Would it be possible if you could point me in the right direction then please? I have no idea how to get the controls working properly to how I like it. Nearly all my tank controls are on the right stick, I would like to know how to get the tank controls similar to the clark setup if possible and to be able to use the switches for firing the cannon and machine gun. And maybe to have the turret traverse on the aux-2 dial. If that made sense then great haha
I want to try openTX sometime but is it tank friendly?
Old 11-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Imex-Erik

The only reason I would suggest tankER9x is to pair with the RCTA motherboards. They are setup so that the templates loaded on your TX do multiple things at once and all the channel mixing is done for you. However it only works for the RCTA components (I may be incorrect here but I am not aware of anyone else that makes stuff directly to pair with tankER9x). If you are not using the RCTA stuff then OpenTX will work with ANYTHING. Even if you were running the RCTA stuff it still would though you may have to load the templates or commands manually but yea it would still work.
For just swapping stuff just try different channels. I have no clue what board you are using at the moment but if two channels are swapped just swap the servo cables or the output on the TX. I run my Taranis with everything I have including cars, crawlers, tanks, quads, planes, and even some homebrew projects (did one to trick a pedometer into thinking the person was very active). OpenTX is available here: http://www.open-tx.org/ and the OpenTX University can be found here: http://open-txu.org/
I would suggest 2.1 if you do not like to test beta features as it is stable and rock solid. 2.2 is still beta and issues can be had so be aware of that. Sound packs can be found on both links, just make sure to get the one for your build. The university link will also show you how to make your own sounds and everything about the firmware.
With OpenTX you are not limited to anything, I've yet to find a feature another radio has that I cant have or add
Old 11-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Brandon.c

i'm using the clark tk22 board and ive just flashed the turnigy 9x with opentx 2.2, decided i'd live on the edge a bit haha and so far it seems the same as er9x but i guess you can do a lot more with open tx.
ok i'm not too worried about the tank controls as its a case of tweaking channels etc but for the life of me i can not seem to figure out how to assign tank functions to switches! all comes with research. gets quite exciting once everything comes in place
Old 11-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Imex-Erik

You are having problems because the Clark does not allow assigning functions to switches Most current controllers require a half stick movement for stuff, it is quite annoying honestly sometimes. However there are some controllers out there that allow functions to be assigned like the IBU3 and I think the TK60. For that my friend you may need some custom mixing...
You could set a switch to do something like Yaw=100% + Throttle =0% for the machine gun, but just assigning a switch to a specific function for the TK22 isn't possible without some clever mixing
Old 11-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Brandon.c

Ahh that sucks! So in that case then what board would be best? As the clark tk22 is pretty old now but new to me. I assumed the new firmware would allow me to assign switches but not knowing the tk22 will. To allow that. As for doimg custom mixes, I think I need just a little bit more brain power to figure out the clever mixing to be quite honest
Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 PM
bradgreene

If you are set on using the TK-22, Erik is right, you have to make customize mixes. I have my cannon, mg and lights on switches. I even have my gun elevation as up and down left stick. Steering and throttle is right stick. I use tanker9x but didn't use any of RCTA's templates since I have a mode 2 turnigy 9x and 9xrpro. Creating the mixes wasn't that hard after understanding how er9x works. I can send you my eepe file if you want to see my mixes. BTW, I have 5 tanks all with TK-22s all coupled to Benedini TBSs for sound.
Cheers, Danny
Old 11-13-2016, 01:30 AM
Brandon.c

Originally Posted by bradgreene
If you are set on using the TK-22, Erik is right, you have to make customize mixes. I have my cannon, mg and lights on switches. I even have my gun elevation as up and down left stick. Steering and throttle is right stick. I use tanker9x but didn't use any of RCTA's templates since I have a mode 2 turnigy 9x and 9xrpro. Creating the mixes wasn't that hard after understanding how er9x works. I can send you my eepe file if you want to see my mixes. BTW, I have 5 tanks all with TK-22s all coupled to Benedini TBSs for sound.
Cheers, Danny
Yes please! That's pretty much how I would like mine! If you don't mind that would be great thanks.
oh and for the tbs system do you have to email him to make an order as there wasn't a purchase button.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:22 AM
bradgreene

Brandon,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Long weekends are usually reserved for family so I didn't have a chance to reply to you. Anyway, I'll PM you after I take pics and write up some explanation of how my mixes work and how my rx is connected to the TK22.

Danny
Old 11-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Brandon.c

Awesome! Thanks!