Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen 360 slip rings to Clark - Wiring?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen 360 slip rings to Clark - Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:53 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Taigen 360 slip rings to Clark - Wiring?

Just putting the feelers out as I haven't yet dived into this; what can I expect installing the Taigen 360 slip rings with MG to a Clark board?

My new Sherman has the spring loaded 'snap' style recoil that's been around since Asiatam days, and in the past I've just cut all the wires and started fresh because things between HL and Clark get messy with that recoil unit, what with that very odd red-coloured 'grounding' wire that they used to include...

Any advice on the subject would be helpful
Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck . When you get it working post a wire schematic for it. I was unable to get mine to work.
After I created smoke, I just rewired myself and removed the 360 wiring. I am just careful doing 360s
now. No issues yet.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I used a TK22 in my Taigen Sherman and by sacrificing the turret MG I was able to install everything just by cutting and re-soldering two wires and i was able to keep the stock slip ring. However, that was an airsoft tank so I really don't think you'll get that lucky.

I have a video About the installation if you think it might help
Old 01-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Dusty Steppes

I also just started looking into this. The Taigen IR with mg slipring only has 14 conductors. TK22 requires 16. Continuity checks reveal that cn2 pin3 and CN3 pin3 appear to be the same ground. At first glance it also looked as if CN2 pin1 and CN3 pin5 were at the same +5vdc but CN3 pin5 drops to 0vdc the entire time the recoil motor returns the gun to battery. Right now I'm thinking of possibly mounting the hit indicators on the hull.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:49 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea I think the achilles heel will be fitting a 5-pin Tamiya base which has the +2 wires for the LED indicators you mentioned. I'll do some figurin' when I have the tank on my bench & see what connectors are useful as-is and what I need to rewire.

I'm not the sort of driver who gets my turret all spun around anyway, but it'd be nice to take advantage of the slip rings where possible.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:35 AM
Shorty54

I ended up with servo recoil/elevation, Tamiya base, and Tamiya battle units, so the 360 was useless for me. It took several tries and a lot of tweaking to get the wiring neat. I can do a couple 360s before it creates problems. I try to wind and then unwind, if you know what I mean, lol
Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I personally cut the connectors off and wired fresh when I installed dual slip rings for my setup. I needed lots of wiring and a neat setup so I used my multimeter to check continuity and wired fresh connectors. We have 5, 7, 12, and 14 wire slip rings so if you need more you can always add another or get two smaller ones too. I had these on my dual 360 setup: airsoft soft unit with recoil, LED flash, IR emitter, IR receiver, FPV leads, and servo elevation.