Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

decided to take the plunge finally. (Advice?)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

decided to take the plunge finally. (Advice?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:28 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panther F is right on, I should have stated that in my post. Those mods can be added when needed, mine were added after the tank had been ran for a while,
not during the build ( mine was bought used) I tore it back down and added the mods. I really like the sealed ball bearings over the bushings though.
I think ETO is good. Darrell Turner is a good guy, fast communication and shipping. I just ordered the brass shock housing for my Pershing about a month ago.
He was very quick to respond to emails and shipping took 3 days.
I think replacing the parts are easy, just take your time and use the right tools, a clean and organized well lit workplace.

Go here to post #4 click on the pictures and you can see how to manage some of the wiring in the Pershing.
Its trial and error but there is a sweet spot and once you find it, it works great.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...k-reviews.html

Desetrat99 did you get my PM from last week? I have sent a few PMs on here lately and have heard nothing back.
I think they are hit and miss sometimes.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not received any PM's here just checked the inbox and it is empty.

Getting these extras is not a issue. Where can you find those Mitosol parts?

As for myself I am someone who if something has to be done I want to get it all done and not spend 2-3 weeks working on something (hope that makes sense?)

What I was asking is if there are any videos or something to show me how to do the installs? I am a total newbie here and Have 2 tanks I can pick up this Saturday. I know a little bit but, on stripping down a tank and making changes I am a bit hesitant unless I have someone to work with me at first to show me what the heck I am doing.

I can follow directions when reading a manual or instructions, but for stripping down a tank and adding modifications that is different.

Originally Posted by Shorty54
Panther F is right on, I should have stated that in my post. Those mods can be added when needed, mine were added after the tank had been ran for a while,
not during the build ( mine was bought used) I tore it back down and added the mods. I really like the sealed ball bearings over the bushings though.
I think ETO is good. Darrell Turner is a good guy, fast communication and shipping. I just ordered the brass shock housing for my Pershing about a month ago.
He was very quick to respond to emails and shipping took 3 days.
I think replacing the parts are easy, just take your time and use the right tools, a clean and organized well lit workplace.

Go here to post #4 click on the pictures and you can see how to manage some of the wiring in the Pershing.
Its trial and error but there is a sweet spot and once you find it, it works great.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...k-reviews.html

Desetrat99 did you get my PM from last week? I have sent a few PMs on here lately and have heard nothing back.
I think they are hit and miss sometimes.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:48 AM
Shorty54

Test PM replied to.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Since your in the la area you might hook up with the la tank guys who can help you. I have an open shop with the guys in san diego but you are pretty far away.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Desertrat99

Can you guys recommend a toolkit that would have everything needed for repair and maintenance of tanks?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:21 AM
RichJohnson

Mini screw diver set. Mini tweesers. Allen wrench set. Small ones. Small Needle nose pliers.
Rc car grease and rc car oil. ( I use vehicle 30w oil and model teflon grease from labelle)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 AM
phordman

https://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Tool...words=duratrax

I have this, case is nice and small, has enough room for 2 needle nose pliers, and I carry 2 slightly larger head screw drivers. use this for my tanks and scale crawlers.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:06 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Desertrat99

Here are the links for ETO Pershing and Sherman:

Pershing ? ETO armor

Sherman ? ETO armor

PH0010 Idler system is out of stock but on the way within another week. For all of you who have had trouble, like me, in getting some of the Sherman parts, in stock now is SH0026, SH0027 & SH0028 with more on the way. Seems the log jam has been rectified and everythng for Sherman is in stock except for the SH0031 Tool Kit and that is discontinued according to the source.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Desertrat99,
Yes ETO Armour is the best place to buy those upgrade parts. It depends on your skill level, but generally they are not difficult too install, ideally you may want a copy of the Sherman assembly instructions, to see how things come apart. I believe the gear downs come with instructions. I have installed a couple of those setups, not in my Sherman however as I found it to be pretty close to scale speed and with my radio easy to limit the max speed.
Steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherman manual page 10.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2228760  
Old 08-25-2017, 06:32 AM
Desertrat99

Ok, Figured out how to change bearings on Sherman with help from Sevoblast and now to figure out Pershing.

Ordered a few items from ETO.

Now looking at bearings for wheels. Steel with rubber seal or ceramic. Big price difference between the two.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Ok, Figured out how to change bearings on Sherman with help from Sevoblast and now to figure out Pershing.

Ordered a few items from ETO.

Now looking at bearings for wheels. Steel with rubber seal or ceramic. Big price difference between the two.
Personally I would not go with the ceramic bearings. Although they are super smooth they have a tendency to shatter (or at least for me) on small impacts. I have now gone back to EZO steel bearings for now, cheaper and last much longer.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Desertrat99

Hi Erik,

i ened up deciding in the steel bearing with rubber seals. Went with a company called AvidRC.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Shorty54

Be sure the grease is plastic safe so if it leaks out it wont ruin your plastic.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Desertrat99

Btw, does anyone have a source for a replacement idler arm for the Tamiya Sherman,similar item to the Pershing replacement from ETO?

Mitosal has been out of stock for quite a while and asked them, but have not had a response yet. Been over a week now.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:41 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Hi Erik,

i ened up deciding in the steel bearing with rubber seals. Went with a company called AvidRC.

That's where I got the bearings for the Hetzer. Great place and so far I've had great service and no problems.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:47 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

And do yourself a favor when you buy the battle system - get a real Tamiya apple and base. The Impact stuff from Mitosal (sp?) is OK, but I've gotten a LOT of static from guys that run Tamiya because they claim the Impact is harder to score hits on and gives me an unfair advantage. I don't think that's necessarily true, but it doesn't stop the whining.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 AM
RichJohnson

I would stick to the Tamiya apples simply because of it being a standard. Its only 20 bucks more per unit than the Impact. Also then, if you think you have some kind of problem you can swap apples around, remember to number the bottom of each one, and if you forget to bring them with you as we have all done at least once you can borrow one from somebody.
Great to meet you yesterday. Good luck finishing up the tanks. Hit us up if you need some help.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Desertrat99

Ordered some parts from ETO and getting batteries shortly. Still looking at radios and receivers.

What I would like to have is one radio to run alll my tanks. I ultimately plan on having now a few Tamiya and a few Taigen with Clark boards most likely. Can you have a single radio that will work with both types of tanks and have self centering sticks on both controls?

I know Futaba makes one with self centering controls, but can only be used on one tank. What about Flysky or Spektrum?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM
RichJohnson

I know the advanced spectrum radios will do that. Like the Dx9 Its very configurable for different options. If both of you are going to battle then that means at least two radios for his and hers. A dx6 works great for Tamiya tanks and the standard set up of taigen tanks with the clark board. if you want to move the elevation to a knob to get it off the same stick as gun fire, then you need a radio that has the channel option of the knob and I don't believe any dx6 has that option until you get to the dx9.

My suggestion is buy one cheap radio and get one of your Tamiya tanks up and running quick and see how you like battling with the Tamiya standard stick system. You used one of my tanks with separate servo elevation so you will know how to compare operation. Then you can decide what you like. It is difficult to battle moving from one type of operating system setup to another. I don't like to move back and forth much from my Tamiya setups to my IBU setups because they operate so differently.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Desertrat99

What options do I have to enlarge a hole on Tamiya Pershing to 4mm so I can install the ETO transmission mount.

Hand tool? Reamer, portable hand drill? Never done this before and looking at doing it next weekend.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 AM
RichJohnson

I have never worked on a pershing. However if you are refrring to the aluminum block that eto makes to go under the gear boxes to help make the mointing really solid, then you have to drill out the stock screw holes in the bottom of the aluminum pan that the gear boxes screw through.
Just use a cordless drill carefully. Locate the drill bit that fits all the way through the hole but tightly. Then move up one drill size and drill it. Test the ETO screws to see if they push in without turning. If the ETO screws dont fit the. Repeat going up one drill size at a time test fitting the screws after each drilling untill they push in.