Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:10 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tanque it is new, but I have already seen it for about half that price. Not sure where though. Shop around bud.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:59 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The longer it is out, the more likely you will get a better deal on it.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:41 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've only seen them up for preorder. I wonder about the size of the thing.

On another note, have you guys seen the new fuel tank attachment for the WPL trucks?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I have 4 of them in various configurations, plus one on order, and two stripped down as parts donors. I have watched the features and details improve over time. I also have seen the price fluctuate like the price of gold on the open market. If you like one of them, find it for sale and watch it. When the price is right, buy it.

The one I have on order was listed by the factory web page at $75 US. I found a site that had it on a special time limited sale for $59 US. I missed the sale deadline, but checked it again anyway, and it was down to $45 US. I ordered it.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
I have 4 of them in various configurations, plus one on order, and two stripped down as parts donors. I have watched the features and details improve over time. I also have seen the price fluctuate like the price of gold on the open market. If you like one of them, find it for sale and watch it. When the price is right, buy it.

The one I have on order was listed by the factory web page at $75 US. I found a site that had it on a special time limited sale for $59 US. I missed the sale deadline, but checked it again anyway, and it was down to $45 US. I ordered it.

Nice. I'm going to hazard a guess that the new Russian WPL trucks are smaller than 1/16 scale, if they are using the same drive train as what we have now.

They are still cool though.

I've done a lot of work to mine. Converting it to a fuel tanker. I've also upgraded it to metal gears in all the axles, metal driveshafts, and the 2 speed gearbox. Right now, I'm just waiting for the 2s lipo to get here, since I'm having trouble with the stock batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8K8S9Xj.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2262153

Click image for larger version

Name:	7zVDqKZ.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2262154
Old 10-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Of course, then I find
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Pah co chu puk

I want to do the two speed gearbox. These things need to be slowed down and they need more power climbing over stuff. I haven't upgraded any electronics or motors / driveshafts on them yet, but I plan to in the future. Right now I'm just having fun setting up convoy trucks to go with my tanks.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:00 PM
yellowshaker

Just a little experience I had with the first one I am playing with. I installed a better battery, esc, and Tamiya toque tuned motor to this one as a test. I also bought a flysky GT% radio for it. So after getting it together I took it to my shop for a test drive in the open space. At about half throttle the steering activated full right and I of course crashed it. No harm done surprisingly, but I wanted to find out what happened. So, I spent the day playing around exchanging the battery pack, then the esc, then the receiver, and also the radio. At that point I said either the truck is possessed or I am getting some sort of interference from the electric motor. I took the motor out and threw the stock one back in problem solved. Does anyone have a clue here or is it as simple as a faulty motor? Only thing I see is there is no capacitor on the new motor. I think I will install the dual motor gearbox and be done with it, as that will slow it down dramatically, which is something it needs anyway.

Last edited by yellowshaker; 10-03-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:36 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Not having caps on the motor is almost certainly causing the interference. If it were me, I would try taking two of the Caps off of a tank motor and putting them on the truck motor to see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:29 AM
yellowshaker

Well, I took the motor out and installed another one (with capacitor) and problem solved. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:38 AM
Pah co chu puk

Hey Joe,
It would be fun to see how you would do up a truck to go with your WW2 stuff. I did this one up as German, it still needs weathering and some more details, but it looks nice parked next to my stug.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:29 AM
yellowshaker

That looks great! I am going yo do exactly that for a friend. I been getting my feet wet with these two I'm working on. I am not thrilled with some of the crap metal upgrades though. The driveshaft set I got for one is terrible.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Pah co chu puk

Thanks. Please post pix of what you come up with, I'm sure it will be inspiring.

Not good to hear about the metal drive shafts. I want to upgrade all that stuff latter. I have noticed that they (whoever "they" are) have upgraded the axles somewhat. The first one I got had a solid axle with a bevel gear on it where the differential should be. This one I did up as German seems to have a real differential with spider gears and everything. Look for the models with an over sized differential and you can see that its bigger to accommodate the ring gear. They turn much smoother than the solid axle types.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:03 AM
yellowshaker

The ring gear setup is on one of mine as well. The JJRC models use them. However, they slip very easily under a load and do not work well in my opinion. One thing that can be done to help that is to add some oil to it. I believe rc4wd sells it. That seems to help a lot with slipping. I am not a fan but for the money what can we expect?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Pah co chu puk

Yep. These trucks are totally cheap, but they look OK and make good props for pix and movies. I just hope the keep improving them. There is not a lot of other choices.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice looking support truck for the Germans. You can keep your Stug out in the field longer now!!!
Old 10-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Pah co chu puk

Thank you. I do have an IR target circuit that I can wire into the battery feed so that a tank could "kill" the truck while it was attempting to service a tank in battle. It could also be used as a "convoy" that tanks need to hit in a battle scenario.

I hope to take it over the mountains to FRAG next summer and let PanzerPaul and his buddies take shots at it. Perhaps take it to a battle with DAK or the folks in SO CAL too.

I'm wiring them all (I have five of these trucks) with the battery plug in the cargo bed, so the target circuit can be used in any of the trucks just by plugging it inline into the battery feed. It will look like a big crate with an apple on top. I have modified an old HL apple to sit lower, and still work to receive hits.

I researched German army trucks, the symbols on the fender show it as a mobile armored maintenance unit of the 6th Armored Regiment, of the 3rd Armored Division. When the Wehrmacht invaded the USSR, they used 100 different types of trucks. Pretty much any truck from Europe in the 30's or early 40's could be a German Army Truck. If it was made for the German army, or captured by the army, it got a licence plate with a WH prefix to the numbers. If it was a German civil owned truck or car, like a police car commandeered by the army, it kept it's original licence plate, but got the letters WH painted on the drivers side front fender. WL referred to vehicles owned by the Luftwaffe.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:56 PM
yellowshaker

For anyone interested. I found a fix for the cheap metal driveshafts. The original set screws are too small and cannot be tightened enough. So, I drilled out the holes in each one and tapped them to 3mm set screws which actually fit just fine and tighten up well. Just tested the truck and all works fine. Now to find some machine screws to fit the wheels back on....they were missing from the metal upgrade kit also. baby steps it is.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
For anyone interested. I found a fix for the cheap metal driveshafts. The original set screws are too small and cannot be tightened enough. So, I drilled out the holes in each one and tapped them to 3mm set screws which actually fit just fine and tighten up well. Just tested the truck and all works fine. Now to find some machine screws to fit the wheels back on....they were missing from the metal upgrade kit also. baby steps it is.
That's probably one of the better ways to do that. I took a dremel to the pinion input shafts, and made flat spots for the set screws. I still had to use thread lock to keep them in though.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:19 PM
yellowshaker

Well, with the metal gears and upgraded motors, the shafts are designed for this driveshaft and have flat spots milled into them. The trouble with these was the screws are terrible
Old 10-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
Well, with the metal gears and upgraded motors, the shafts are designed for this driveshaft and have flat spots milled into them. The trouble with these was the screws are terrible
Yes, yes they are.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Pah co chu puk

Please keep this good info flowing guys, thanks.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't suppose any of you have a picture of what the roof of the GMC Workshop Truck looks like? I've found a picture of a diecast model, but the details don't match photo's of the real thing...
Old 10-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Sorry it took so long. We've been pretty busy lately. Here's my video overview of my B16.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 PM
yellowshaker

May be a bit off topic, but does anyone know how to get in touch with Dan from battle armor in Canada? I lost his contact info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.