Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need transmitter for 1/6 Stuart 21st Century

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need transmitter for 1/6 Stuart 21st Century

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 PM
mattprotos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need transmitter for 1/6 Stuart 21st Century

I bought a 21st Century Toys 1/6 Stuart RC tank at an auction. It is new and unused, but I didn't know that it was missing the transmitter. The auction house said that would find the controller, but after several weeks they have found nothing. Does anyone here know where I might get a transmitter? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:20 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

You might check with MastersargentMike. Or maybe the BennyB. I've seen a few here on the forum that have been upgraded to better electronics so one of those guys should have the unit you need, we just have to find them.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:56 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look around ebay. If you can't find anything you may have to convert to hobby grade electronics and TX/RX which is going to run another $100 or so. I've forgotten if the the RX and ESC are one component or not.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:31 AM
mattprotos

I looked on Ebay. didn't find a transmitter for the Stuart, but did see a couple for the 21st Century Abrams. Does anyone know if they are the same? Also, if I find one, will it work out of the box, or will it need to be reprogramed? Sorry, I'm a newbie to these things.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Crius

I'm not positive but I doubt the TX from the Abrams would work with the Stuart. But Bret's right, you have an excellent opportunity to just put some proper gear in there. Is this your first RC vehicle? You can start with just a motor controller, like a Sabertooth, or a board like an IBU2 or a TCB. Depending on how many functions you want, you can start with a radio as cheap as 25 or 30 dollars. Where are you located? What made you buy the Stuart? Just thought it was a good deal or have ya been lookin' at tanks for a while now? Is this the scale you want to work in, or are there others? (I have tanks in about 6 different scales, but only four of the scales can move under their own power) And don't start thinking this will be the only tank you get. If you stick with the hobby, there will be more.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 PM
mattprotos

Crius, I'll try to answer your questions. Not my first, but it has been many years since I had RC cars and planes. I guess that I bought the tank because it looked like it would be fun, and because I thought it was cool. Also, the large size was impressive. I would like to see how the tank works as designed, then maybe I would want to pursue modifications, and who knows maybe a whole division of armor. I am an auto racing engineer by profession, and now manage a pro race team, so I have access to tools and materials to make almost anything. Unfortunately, the one quantity I seem to have the least of is time. So, for the time being, I would just like to find an original style transmitter, and able to conquer my back yard and adjacent properties. Also, I could chase our cats. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:45 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

For an original Ebay is going to be your go to tool. They come up on there quite often even if there are none on there now. Of course they are getting to be fewer and fewer as these tanks have been out of production for quite some time now.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Crius

So welcome back to RC. I personally like 1/6 scale myself (but also have lots of 1/16), and I'm building a 1/6 Hetzer with a .50 caliber paintball cannon that has been a real blast to build. I hope to have it finished by spring. I'm also having a blast with the new trucks, and that's something you might want to take a look at. Pretty simple little things and just $30 to get started, then about another 60 or 70 bucks to take it hobby grade, and then you can have some fun with paint and markings. For a guy with limited time it should be satisfying to see good results after just one or two sessions at the work table.

I agree that ebay is your best bet for a controller. I'm always checking 1/6 scale stuff so i'll keep an eye out, too.

You never did tell us where you are. Being in racing I'm sure you know the Motor City, I'm right near 5 Mile and Telegraph. Have you got any interest in FPV? I'll bet one of these little trucks could get some very interesting video at the race track.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:34 AM
mattprotos

Thanks to everybody for their help.
I am from western Maryland, a small town called Boonsboro. I Have spent some time in Detroit, but these days most motorsports activity centers around Mooresville NC.
I have been able to find a couple of transmitters for the 21st Century 1/9 scale Abrams. The transmitter looks exactly like the photos that I can find for the Stuart. If anybody has both these tanks, maybe they can tell me if will work.
I do have some interest in FPV for several reasons. Drones are very prohibited at all the race tracks, but a portable camera that could transmit video to the pit area could be most valuable.
I have attached a Photo of the race car that we run in the SCCA Trans Am series. Interestingly enough, it is nicknamed "The Battle Tank" by the series. The Owner/Driver Jim McAleese is a major consultant to the Defense Department on defense contracting.Click image for larger version

Name:	9tI5E8U.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	2246622
Old 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
tankme

What you really need to consider with the Abrams and the Stuart compatibility is the frequency of the transmitter and the receiver. These Stuart and Abrams tanks use the old FM frequency standards (49Mhz as seen on one of the boxes for the Stuart) and not the newer 2.4GHz standards. The Abrams box shows that they are on the 27Mhz frequencies with the ability to change to 1 of 4 channels in the 27Mhz band. The Hummers from 21st Century were also 27Mhz on a set band (A, B, C, or D). I have two of those and one is on an A channel and the other on a B channel. So to answer your question, no the transmitters are not the same and will not work as far as I can tell. The Stuart was the first release from 21st Century and the most limited at 49Mhz and no A, B, C, or D channel selection. There is a cool site called Foxflier.com - Houston Kitfoxes, TCs Nieuport 11, The Replica Lewis Site, RC Tank Combat, FMS, TC's GMP Cricket, Pelican FOR SALE that has a lot of info about both tanks. The site takes forever to load and is no longer maintained by the owner, but it is useful.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 AM
tankme

I did forget to mention that all is not lost if you decide that this tank is more trouble than it's worth. I paid about $150 for mine back in like 2005. The upper hull cracked and I parted the tank out back in like 2010. I made over $300 parting the tank out 7 years ago. The parts are only getting more rare so the prices have gone up. You could part it out and probably make a decent profit on your auction find...
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Crius

Ah, a Stock car Man. The Battle Tank is awesome. Of course, I might have to tease you just a bit, since we all know real race cars don't have fenders. But at least the SCCA guys turn right once in a while.

Sounds like you have a very cool job that will come in handy if you get deeper into the Hobby. It really is addictive, too. Ask any of these guys.

I'm a machinist, myself, but I once made Fiberglas race car parts at a place called Arnold Industries. They have a good road course in Waterford, which you probably know of already, and we did some pretty innovative stuff back in the 80s when Kevlar was becoming popular, before the carbon fiber craze. One of the cars we did a body for actually ran on a Honda 900 motorcycle engine.

Derek's right that now is the time to decide if this hobby is for you. If you want to try the most popular scale here you might grab one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-2-4G-R...-/201695444929

They used to have Tigers but I can't find any at this low a price. Anyway, the point is this has the latest electronics from Heng Long and is about the cheapest brand new tank you can get. If you get this and hate it, you're not out a ton of cash, and if you like it you'll find all kinds of ways to upgrade and improve it. If you like to tinker with stuff this is a great hobby.

I can easily see an RC truck being great fun with a camera mounted to it at the track. No worries about those pesky rules and regs the flyboys have to put up with. Just be careful nobody accuses you of skirt peepin' though. With today's climate they might have you drawn and quartered, and then they'll go to work on ya.

Good luck with the hunt for the radio, and if you don't find one and want to put in an esc to get things movin' there are lots of guys here that can give any help you might need.

Oh yeah, do you know Brooklyn Park, Maryland? There's a very cool RC tanker living there, one of the moderators for RC Tank Warfare, screen name "Jackalope".
Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM
47flatfender

I've got one you can have if you just pay the shipping. I converted mine over a long time ago and never used the stock transmitter so I assume it still works. PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Crius

Flatfender, I see you're in Saline. My Mom's side of the family is from Chelsea. Well, Waterloo, to be precise. Osius Road, even.

Do you know Bowlman (Jimmy)? He's in Jackson.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:21 PM
mattprotos

46 flatfender, I sent a private message, or at least I think I did. If you don't get it, I definitely want the transmitter. I can't thank you, and everyone that has contacted me on this site enough.
LMK if didn't get the PM. I don't think that I was signed in when I sent it.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:13 PM
47flatfender

Crius, I'm only about 30 min from Chelsea and Jackson's another 20 or so beyond that but I don't know Bowlman other than through his posts on the forum.