Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/10 scale Hooben tanks??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/10 scale Hooben tanks??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 05:07 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 1/10 Hetzer Now Shipping

Hooben is starting to ship their new Hetzer. Believe it's currently only available in gray but saw these posted the other day on WeChat.

Looks like their Pz3 Ausf L is next out the block followed by the T-34.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, Nice!!!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:38 PM
herrmill

Perhaps its just me but something doesn't look at all right with Hooben's new Pz 3 starting with the barrel.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:51 PM
herrmill

Am picking up a Hetzer this week & will let you folks know my thoughts. First thing will be to spray it proper colors more akin to late '44.

Here's the instruction set for reference.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

You, Sir, are a lucky dog. I can't wait to see photos and video and hear your thoughts on performance. If possible, please get shots of the inside and electronics. This is the one tank that could tempt me to try 1/10 scale. There's just so few accessories to go with it! Boo Hoo!!
Old 01-18-2020, 06:31 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
You, Sir, are a lucky dog. I can't wait to see photos and video and hear your thoughts on performance. If possible, please get shots of the inside and electronics. This is the one tank that could tempt me to try 1/10 scale. There's just so few accessories to go with it! Boo Hoo!!
What kind of accessories would you be looking for? There are some, it's not a complete wasteland out there.

Herrmill, I must be going loopy, what are the problems with Hooben's Pz III? I'm biding my time for their T-34...

Jerry
Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Jerry, I've been bitten by the 1/6 bug and with that scale, the question is easier if you ask, what's not out there? They've got it all, including the kitchen sink. I could always print a lot of my own stuff in 1/10, like jerry cans and crates and bedrolls are easy to make with the right fabric, but finding crew figures is tough. They do have cool support vehicles in that scale, though.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:52 PM
herrmill

I couldn't meet up yesterday with Feng but here is a good illustration of the differences in between the 1/16 & 1/10 scales Hooben currently offers.

Hope to get my hands on the Hetzer over the next day or two & will be sure to post my thoughts & some photos. From what I've been told, it sounds like its solid runner so looking forward to seeing in person.

Last edited by herrmill; 01-19-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:09 PM
Tanque

Jerry, I've been bitten by the 1/6 bug and with that scale, the question is easier if you ask, what's not out there? They've got it all, including the kitchen sink. I could always print a lot of my own stuff in 1/10, like jerry cans and crates and bedrolls are easy to make with the right fabric, but finding crew figures is tough. They do have cool support vehicles in that scale, though.
Y'know over the years I've gotten my hands on different resin figures supposedly in 1/10 scale. Never used them. I guess I never bothered to get figures for any of my models.
I'm not sure why it's never been an issue for me. I think I've seen too many popeyed figures on other's models and never wanted those near mine! I agree though a well
done commander figure could spruce some of them up. I guess in my head I've rationalized the lack of figures on mine as 'it's in combat buttoned up and no one is outside'
while the tank just sitting there with the hatches open means that ' the crew is off on leave'... Painting figures well, especially faces is something I'd pay someone to do if I could

I don't recall how many makers offered them but it seems there was no shortage of small arms, personal items and other weapons in 1/10 scale made cast in lead or resin.
I actually have bags of them. rarely use them either. I have a bunch of aluminum 200l fuel drums in 1/10 scale. I agree the one big oversight are figures.

No figures has worked for me though...

Jerry
Old 01-19-2020, 03:59 PM
herrmill

You're correct in saying its a desert out there when it comes to 1/10 figures but Hooben does offer several half figures as shown above. You can find some articulated figures in the crawler market but they're also not cheap so for my Hummer I resorted to getting several of the Marvel 18cm figures. Not not quite realistic but the kids love them & they always generate a few laughs when we're outside in public.

Last edited by herrmill; 01-19-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:02 PM
herrmill

Dare I?

Old 01-20-2020, 09:21 AM
Tanque

I'll be very interested in your impressions of this model Chuck. Robustness, attention to scale and proportions and running characteristics.
AND.... you know one of my hot buttons with Hooben's 1/10 scale: did they take the time to give it rubber tires!

Jerry
Old 01-20-2020, 02:02 PM
herrmill

Default Hetzer Arrives Home

Got it. Overall impression is good aside from several issues, most of which I had expected with the first run. That said, there is one glaring faux pas that left me scratching my head: a gap along the hulls that could be a tolerance issue with middle bulkhead latch setup - worst case I fill with plasticard & putty. I'll spend some time on it later today & get comments along with more photos over for you folks. Here are a few alongside HG's Hummer for reference.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:12 PM
Tanque

Hmmm.

Jerry
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM
herrmill

Jerry, you know you want one. Even without rubber tires. ;-)

I plan to mimic the latter with flat black PlastiDip but that'll have to wait until after CNY when I can get stuff delivered off Taobao. No idea why they painted these things dark gray aka 1939 Blitzkrieg.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:34 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by herrmill
Jerry, you know you want one. Even without rubber tires. ;-)

I plan to mimic the latter with flat black PlastiDip but that'll have to wait until after CNY when I can get stuff delivered off Taobao. No idea why they painted these things dark gray aka 1939 Blitzkrieg.
Chuck if I didn't already have 2 1/2 Hetzers I'd get one. I wanted their Sherman but those tires or lack thereof....uuurrrrggggaaaarggggh... I ccccan't dddooo it...

I will likely bite my fingers off but I'll almost certainly get their T-34 if they'll really release it. The Panzer III is also tempting but I already
have my 5 pz III variants in the works. Perhaps I could try their gearboxes though, I don't have enough time to make transmissions for all of
my smaller tanks...

Now if only they'd make a Type 95 or 97. Please tell Feng that right now the Semovente da 75/18 is trending actively among all
modelers worldwide and he'd make a killing right now if he brought a 1/10 scale one to market!!
The following users liked this post:
brunettiani (06-06-2021)
Old 01-21-2020, 05:37 AM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

jerry cans and crates and bedrolls are easy to make with the right fabric, but finding crew figures is tough.
Back in the days when cratch-build models in 1:10 scale was popular in Poland, we made crews from dolls Not exactly good looking because of baby faces.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 AM
Tanque

Chuck I made a rubber tire mold for my Hetzer. If you ever get your hand on a spare wheel you don't want let me know and I'll see
if my fires could be adapted. I think mine are a bit large in diameter but I can easily make a new ring to make them a bit smaller.

The following users liked this post:
herrmill (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 01:29 PM
herrmill

Nice wheels & sprockets, Jerry! You cast & turn those yourself? I already asked for a spare wheel to mount on the hull so guess I can double that so I can forward one your way.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:55 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by herrmill
Nice wheels & sprockets, Jerry! You cast & turn those yourself? I already asked for a spare wheel to mount on the hull so guess I can double that so I can forward one your way.
Thanks Chuck. The sprockets are from Nils Hermann as I once had a set of his zinc alloy tracks on this model but the tracks ultimately failed.
The cause as best as I could determine was alloy failure (zinc rot) but none of his other tracks that I have, have had the same issue so far.
The tracks on it are from Geiβwerk but I need to rework the sprocket as it’s not a good fit – the spacing is just off due to the
thickness of the sprocket rings but luckily the rings are steel which is a requirement when running those tracks. The wheels were
originally solid and I modified them quite a bit adding the retaining rings, tires and center cap. I also have to rework the wheel
spacing. Originally the suspension was pretty ‘loose’ but adding tires made the spacing more critical but the way it’s made needs
to be changed.

I had purchased someone’s project years ago and while the ‘bones’ were basically there I’ve done a lot of work to
the thing and that doesn’t include the transmission I made. Later on I found another Hetzer I just couldn't pass up, very nice, made of steel
but not a 4M (Micheler) version which is the cat's meow- too bad he's no longer in business.

Jerry
Old 01-22-2020, 08:57 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Chuck are the wheels solid plastic? If so, is dark grey the color of the plastic? It would make since if it is dark grey as it would look like rubber if you paint the Hetzer dunkelgelb right? Keep the updates coming.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:05 PM
herrmill

Wheels are 3D printed & the entire tank has been sprayed dark gray. Seems robust enough but am already inquiring where I can get some milled parts since I'm fully aware Hooben has no interest in offering metal upgrades. CNY holiday has officially started so I'll make time to put up my comments.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 AM
herrmill

Old 03-04-2020, 07:25 AM
Tanque

Hmmmm, it becomes more interesting....
Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The T-34 is VERY tempting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.