Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Buying from Shapeways.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like it just might work. If the opening for the axle is approximately 5 mm it will match the trumpeter wheel. Taigen suspension arm takes a 3 mm axle. I have the hardware that will allow me to fit the Trumpeter wheel on a 3 mm axle so that won't be an issue.

How wide are the inner and outer rims? Trumpeter is approximately 7.5 mm for both with a 7.5 mm gap between them.

How long does it take to print one wheel and does the print time double if you reduce the step size?

Cleaning them up won't be an issue.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Springman65

[QUOTE=Crius;12408857]I'm not sure how PLA compares to Trumpeter, but theirs should be styrene, right? I'd say PLA is harder than most styrene but I'm not sure how they'd hold up to metal tracks. I guess there's one way to find out........[/QUOTE]

Actually, I recommend possibly printing the parts in SILVER PLA, then as it does wear, it would look OK. Then when the time comes, replace them with another set printed the same.......

And, possibly share the STL on Thingiverse or other to allow other to print it too.......(I wish we had a Thingiverse just for RC Tankers.......)

Springman
Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I'll send the STL file to anyone who asks for it, but because it's not my design I wouldn't be comfortable posting it at thingiverse. If Martin wants to post it there that's up to him.

I'll get the measurements from the road wheel I already printed when I get home from work.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Crius

Almost forgot, if someone wants to send me some silver PLA that's fine, but I can't see myself buying another spool for these parts. I can print them in blue or green.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Springman65

Originally Posted by Crius
I'll send the STL file to anyone who asks for it, but because it's not my design I wouldn't be comfortable posting it at thingiverse. If Martin wants to post it there that's up to him.

I'll get the measurements from the road wheel I already printed when I get home from work.
Crius, its OK. I was just sort of thinking ahead as I just think we as a whole (The Hobby) would benefit from having a repository like Thingiverse........but, gear to us.

I may take you up on the file offer later though.......with Martin's permission of course.

And, on the SILVER PLA, I was simply saying....maybe it would be worth the requestor buying or paying you to buy??? After all, there will be direct contact with metal tracks......

Anyway, sorry to but in.

Springman
Old 02-26-2018, 09:55 AM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you guys are talking about silver PLA you are talking about the color, right? Why is that so preferred? I would think you would want black as that is the wear surface against the tracks and the black tire paint would wear off. At least for roadwheels that had tires.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:01 AM
Springman65

Originally Posted by Perry S.
When you guys are talking about silver PLA you are talking about the color, right? Why is that so preferred? I would think you would want black as that is the wear surface against the tracks and the black tire paint would wear off. At least for roadwheels that had tires.
If the roadwheel was a tried type....but, the subject of this discussion is specifically an ALL-STEEL T34 Roadwheel. If the surface *****, the dull steel would show most likely - the SILVER PLA would be sort of close.....

Springman
Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by Springman65

And, on the SILVER PLA, I was simply saying....maybe it would be worth the requestor buying or paying you to buy??? After all, there will be direct contact with metal tracks......

Springman
You're reading my mind. I was going to offer to purchase silver PLA in exchange for some printed items. As I'm not familiar with 3D printers Crius would have to give the specifics on the PLA that he uses. Vendor, size, shipping address, etc.

Crius pm me and we'll see if we can work something out.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Springman65

Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes
You're reading my mind. I was going to offer to purchase silver PLA in exchange for some printed items. As I'm not familiar with 3D printers Crius would have to give the specifics on the PLA that he uses. Vendor, size, shipping address, etc..
Actually, I think you should get Crius to print a set in the GLOW-IN-THE-DARK GREEN PLA..........(GRIN!!!!!!)
OH HELL - I say we go for the whole tank! ......A Real RC Night Fighter!

Best Wishes,

Springman

(THANKS GUYS FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME!)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Crius

Hey, Spring man, no worries. I agree with you that it would be great to have a depository of proven files. I just try to be careful with other people's designs. Martin has already given me the okay to distribute the t34 wheel to anybody that wants it, I would just rather leave it up to him to post it at thingiverse. I don't even have an account there yet.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Crius

Dusty, I'll p.m. you after work and I'll include the dimensions on the road wheel.